Fox callers / squeakers

Dunkield

I know you can do it on the back of your hand, and I have already bought one of those silver disk jobs, which is next to useless (unless I am using it wrong) so before I waste any more money on goods +p&p can anyone recommend the best all rounder please based on experience?

I did a search of the site before I asked as I am sure this must have been asked a few times before :*)

Thanks,

Stuart.

Edited by stuartp

have you tryed one off the kids or dogs toys the ones that squeek just take the call out and use that also the old kettle tops the ones that whistle just blow into them there really good .i use the parm of my hand but i do use the callers from the shops from time to time ,if you have more than one caller in your pocket try them all on a fox that you can see out in the field and the one that picks his head up so that it looks your way thats the one to keep useing on that fox also try and think like a dieing rabbit put some feeling in to it dont just blow and hope for the best try and do small squeeks as it gets closer also cup your hands over the caller you are useing from time to time dont forget you are a traped or dieing rabbit so think and call like one ..if out shooting rabbits i gut mine right away out in the field so as you walk you leave a trail of guts for the fox so on the way back look out for a fox thats found you rabbit guts ,a good tip is stamp on the guts courseing them to burst on the ground they stink i know but the fox will pick up on them a lot faster ..any of the calls in the gun shops i found are good enough to call a fox in it best to have a few though :sly:

My favourite mouth call is the

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.Tex...t=SearchResults

The jackrabbit would simulate your hare, the rabbit is a cottontail and the coaxer is a mouse squeek.

This is an excellent call, if I could only take one including my electronic calls this would be it.

NTTF

Well worth giving a small piece of polystyrene a try.

If you carry a plastic bottle of drink with you - swap it for a flat glass one (mini gin/vodka) and stroke it with the moistened polystyrene.

Failing the drink bottle the "glass" of my mobile phone display seems to work too.

I know you can do it on the back of your hand, and I have already bought one of those silver disk jobs, which is next to useless (unless I am using it wrong) so before I waste any more money on goods +p&p can anyone recommend the best all rounder please based on experience?

I did a search of the site before I asked as I am sure this must have been asked a few times before  :*)

Thanks,

Stuart.

Stuart, stick with the disc mate, they do work.

I always carry a few calls with me (did post pics of my calls as did Henryd)

Some nights they will just ignore the calls.

Practice with the disc, start off gently and then harder to increase the pitch.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but practice at home (not when the better half is home though, get some weird looks sometimes :devil: ) You can suck or blow with the disc, you will get different sounds with both methods.

Don't spend any more money just yet :sly:

Edited by kip270

I use a call i make up myself from two ice pop sticks and a bit of ribbon from a tape cassette strecthed between them.Best call i have used cause i can mimick hare distress,rabbit distress and make rodent squeks all from the one call.Tends to get water logged with calling over a long period but they are cheap to make and always have a few spares in my pocket

Also use the palm of my hand at times but this gets sore on the mouth when calling for a long time.

Also use a piece of aeroboard on a piece of glass.Wet the aeroboard and move it up and down the glass.easy to vary the calls with this method also.

Never had much luck with any of the commercial calls i bought.

Bought an electronic call with various calls for foxes,duck,mink,magpies and crows.

Never had much luck with foxes with it but found the magpie call on it a winner for shooting magpies over decoys

get good at it with your hand, practise on buses or at work etc

At least you can't forget to take your hand out with you. :D

Whistles etc are all great but some of the foxes get very wary of the same calls all the time and if some **** is shooting and making a mess of it you'll struggle every time you turn one on.

Remember it's the curiosity that kills the fox so vary it all the time and your hand, thumb palm wrist can do this.......

Well that's my tuppence worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I joined this one a bit late but i would say that you can't beat using your own hand. I have tried most calls available but your hand is by far the best. You will need to practise though. Try watching any of the WARRENER foxing videos as he is proof that using your hand is the best way to go and he shoots more foxes a year than anyone i know so he is doing something right (you might see me in a couple of his videos too) :devil: . Its also just that bit more satifying calling by hand than using a man made call.