Offal - Liver, Kidney, heart etc.

Salop Matt

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love liver, Kidney etc etc, but get this one; When we have a family do and my old man and uncles get on the BBQ, they make a large skewer (4 feet) of just livers, kidneys, hearts and nothing else. The whole skewer of meat is then wrapped in pigs gut (not sure if English butchers sell this, but readily available in Greek butchers), and it is slow cooked over hot charcoal. It is absolutely delicious!!

Oh my god I'm hungry now.....

the pig gut is called cawl fat ,alot of high end chefs make their own sausage meat then wrap it in cawl fat,its a bit like fatty netting,basting the meat has it is cooked

the pig gut is called cawl fat ,alot of high end chefs make their own sausage meat then wrap it in cawl fat,its a bit like fatty netting,basting the meat has it is cooked

I didn't know that it was called that, but you are spot on with your description, that is definitely what I was talking about. I don't know if it's expensive to buy or difficult to find at an English butcher, but it's cheap and they all have it at any Greek butchers. We also use it to make spicy sausages for the BBQ, mums are the best of course!

Well as it turns out my old dear loves liver but the old man doesnt !

So as the mrs (a veggie) is away saturday good old mother is going to get me some in a cook it for me :yes: She wants to know though if i want it before or after i have used there 4 acre feild for zeroing my rapid ! :blush:

Just hope the weather stays good for the zero ! :good:

Shes doing liver, bacon , eggs and grannery or wholemeal bread cut thick with propper butter !

Roll on saturday !

• 2 weeks later...

I would eat it again if it was on my plate but I wouldnt order it i dont think. Great texture but the flavour was i bit to strong for me. Which shocked me as I used to eat loads of red meat and strong stuff to but since moving in with the mrs i barely eat any now because of convenience so now its fish and chicken.

Shame as I want to like it ! :good:

It was pigs liver and so i may just try some lamb at some point !

It has to be liver and onion and bacon caserole,

Pigs or Ox liver, you can soak the Ox liver over night in milk and a teaspoon of BiCarb if you wish (a chefs cheat for making Calves liver)

sliced tossed in seasoned plain flour(salt,pepper,mustard powder) seared in the pan chuck it in the casserole dish, fry some smoked streaky bacon and onions chuck that in the dish,

with the remaining flour + more if required, make enough gravy in the frying pan to cover the liver bacon and onions chuck in the oven to slowly cook.

Peel some spuds, boil, drain and cream with milk, salt, butter, black pepper and salt. plent of garden peas, :yes::good:

the bestist dinner in the world :lol: and gravy to die for mopped up with the creamed spuds.

Tip;- if your liver is hard and tuff like school liver then its over cooked it :P

Edited by Dougy