Offal - Liver, Kidney, heart etc.

Salop Matt

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use liver (mainly lambs liver) in stews.

Lambs liver and sausage stew

Cook your Liver and Sausages and place them in a large oven proof dish

Prepare the following and cut to desired sizes ( I love them chunky)

Potato

Carrots

Parsnip

Onion

Make a batch of supermarkets own Veg Gravy make it quite weak and runny and add the veg to cook.

Try and keep the veg crispy not over cooked then add to the Liver and Sausages and add more gravy mix to thicken up the stew

In the last 5 mins add about 6 good slices of black pudding to darken the stew and give extra depth of flavour

It's FAB :good:

Edited by Lord Geordie

All I can say is if you've never eaten it the flavour may be a shock! It's not like other meat, not even close!

I can eat a pound steak easily but put me on liver and a few small slices does me. It's very rich! That's probably why EE doesn't like it? You've got to try it though. Even though I can't eat a lot of it I do really enjoy it for a change now and again.

The mention of heart brings back memories. I cooked one and was the only one in the house who would eat it! I thought it was great but as the mrs is veggie and my dad doesn't really like any offal I was on my own!

As luck would have it, I now have the liver, heart and kidneys of a Fallow buck in my fridge. Last time I had these I did the liver with onions etc, very tasty, and also made pate from it. The heart went in a mixed game stew.

I'll try a few more recipes this time, perhaps the kidneys for lunch.

I have a dozen lambs kidneys and a fist full of steak in for 2.5 hours stewing treatment right now. There's carrots, mushrooms, streaky bacon and sliced leaks in there as well.

The smell is fantastic.

Mungler's kidney and steak pies on their way with a batch of partridge pies.

do you post :good::P or spare seat at table :D:D

Just cooling on the side before being deployed into pie dishes and the rest into the freezer.

I managed to spoon a floating kidney to the top just for Evil Elvis. And then I ate it because it was yummy.

DSCN1720.jpg

I have the camera handy in the kitchen and will snap the partridge pies - the meat is just in the oven having a stew up.

I can't stand liver or kidney but don't mind heart and tongue.

I think the reason I don't like liver or kidneys is from being made to eat them when I was little, steak and kidney pie being one of my Dads favourite dishes so we used to have it alot. Put me off for life I reckon.

I like heart but have been banned from eating it if I am going out with mates as it gives me the smelliest wind possible. I haven't had tongue in a while but I remember having it in france once (the first time I tried it) and it was amazing, I really wish I knew what they did to it to make it taste like it did.

OX tongue now we are talking serious TASTY stuff . not the tinned stuff which is :good: . ask your butcher for a pickeld ox tongue. it will of been brined for 5 days. soak it over night then boil it or pressure cook it ,skin it then press it an leave in fridge when cool over night. then next day holy mother of mary . then theres tripe :lol::lol: not for me, can tast the stomach contents even after bleaching makes me wretch

Lamb or pigs liver is lovely dipped in a mix of seasoned flour and sage and onion stuffing. Shallow fry for a minute or two either side in oil of choice until you get a crisp coating, we have it with mashed spuds, garden peas and onion gravy...cheap, simple, quick and tasty :good:

The price of it really does make it worth a try. Last time I went to the butchers I fancied liver so bought about 1lb of pigs liver. Set me back all of 50p and I walked out with a stainless gambrel that he let me have for free.... I felt really bad that day as he wouldn't take anything for it and my bill would hardly cover his retirement would it?!

I guess he knows I'll be back. I always am because I hate supermarket meat!

I love liver, Kidney etc etc, but get this one; When we have a family do and my old man and uncles get on the BBQ, they make a large skewer (4 feet) of just livers, kidneys, hearts and nothing else. The whole skewer of meat is then wrapped in pigs gut (not sure if English butchers sell this, but readily available in Greek butchers), and it is slow cooked over hot charcoal. It is absolutely delicious!!

Oh my god I'm hungry now.....