FAC use on 'new' land

cole890

i have a question that im hoping someone could help me with, if you have a closed ticket can you use your rifle on a piece of land that has already been checked and cleared to a specific calibre by the police and you have full permission to shoot on it can you go ahead and shoot on there? Or do you have to get the landowner to fill in paperwork again then send that off and wait for the police to give you the thumbs up to carry on?

Depends how closed your ticket is. There seem to be some that are restricted to actual named bits of land, then theres the ones that are "any land deemed acceptable by CoP and you have permission yada yada". No, if your wording is the former. Yes, if it's the latter.

the rifle and moderator and the expanding ammo shall only be used for fox/vermin control and for zeroing on land deemed suitable by the C.O.P for the area where the land is suitable and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

so which is this? is it the yes one?

as long as you get written permission off the land owner and forward it on to the police it should be fine, the more land you get permission on you can throw at the police will help you towards an open ticket in the future, also the amount of ammo you use will help you if you use more

hth Richard

you don't need to send the permission to the police at all, as long as it says land deemed suitable by the chief on your ticket you are good to go.

No, but if you do send it in it will benefit you as you can show the amount of land you have, the need for your FAC and will aid you to getting an open ticket.

That's what i do anyway, worked for me and showed good practice keeping the police informed of who shoots where.

each to their own again i suppose :yes:

you don't need to send the permission to the police at all, as long as it says land deemed suitable by the chief on your ticket you are good to go.

The above is correct,

You also dont need written permission from the land owner but it is a nice thing to have. Saves all the hassle if the police turn up asking questions.

Edited by Luckyshot

i have a question that im hoping someone could help me with, if you have a closed ticket can you use your rifle on a piece of land that has already been checked and cleared to a specific calibre by the police and you have full permission to shoot on it can you go ahead and shoot on there? Or do you have to get the landowner to fill in paperwork again then send that off and wait for the police to give you the thumbs up to carry on?

how have you found out the land is cleared for the caliber you want to use, have you rang the Firearms office yourself or is this secondhand info off a third party,

Reason i ask is i know someone who took for granted what someone else said and got a big telling off for not checking themselves, just worth ringing the plod yourself and checking else

atb Richard

The above is correct,

You also dont need written permission from the land owner but it is a nice thing to have. Saves all the hassle if the police turn up asking questions.

if you choose to NOT have written permission thats up to you but having written permission is essential to me and my insurer

how have you found out the land is cleared for the caliber you want to use, have you rang the Firearms office yourself or is this secondhand info off a third party,

Reason i ask is i know someone who took for granted what someone else said and got a big telling off for not checking themselves, just worth ringing the plod yourself and checking else

atb Richard

Spot on advice :yes: do what he said....

A verbal permission is about as much good as a verbal quote,its legal !, until you really need evidence,ie stopped by police etc then you will wish you had it in writing and from what i have researched its not legal if it aint in writing.

As already said,every bit of land i want to shoot on that has been granted open land it still gets a phone through to my feo to make sure that it is ok and that it is cleared for your particular calibre of rifle.

Dont forget to always carry your WRITTEN permission and your licence,insurance certificate just in case you get stopped,could save you being detained and your rifles chucked in a cupboard at the local nick :blush:

atb,Karl

Technically yes with a closed ticket you can shoot on any land that has been approved by the CoP. However you should make sure of several points before you do. You should phone your local firearms office and give them the name and address of the land and they as they keep a register of approved land so they will tell you not only if it has been approved but if that authorisation is still in date (You can't afford to go by just hearsay in the belief that it is approved, the onus/responsibility lies on you to check). ( I believe that land has to be checked every 5 years for shooting on with a closed ticket, which is why I am going out with my FEO to do some land checks on a few of my recently aquired permission for my .222 - I have an open ticket for the 17HMR) Assuming that the authorisation is still in date they will also tell you what calibers the land is authorised for. As long as the land authorisation is in date you do not necessarily have to send in the written permission to shoot on the land but it is advisable and helps to show that you have approached things in a responsible and sensible way when it comes to trying to get your ticket opened!

I hope this helps but it is only a generalisation, if in doubt ALWAYS check with your FEO first!

A verbal permission is about as much good as a verbal quote,its legal !, until you really need evidence,ie stopped by police etc then you will wish you had it in writing and from what i have researched its not legal if it aint in writing.

As already said,every bit of land i want to shoot on that has been granted open land it still gets a phone through to my feo to make sure that it is ok and that it is cleared for your particular calibre of rifle.

Dont forget to always carry your WRITTEN permission and your licence,insurance certificate just in case you get stopped,could save you being detained and your rifles chucked in a cupboard at the local nick :blush:

atb,Karl

Chap, that is wrong, perhaps some Police may ask for written, perhaps some insurers do, and without doubt written permission is useful, but you do not legally need written permission.

It is perfectly legal to shoot if you have verbal permission.

ATB!

Edited by Dekers

The answer to the original question is simple...check with your region, firstly to double check your wording if you have any doubts, but most specifically to make sure the land is cleared, as someone already replied...how do you know 100% the land is cleared? :blush:

cheers chaps, written permission of the land owner and a quick call to the police then everybody is happy ???

Well done,better to make sure yourself :lol: and even if its not a legal requirement written permission is advisable and is there for everybody to see and leaves you and others in no doubt.