Good Summer or not

eggy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems to me that oth doesnt like his status as the king of all pigeon shooters being challenged. and i have looked in on this forum for a long time without actually joining. i remember oth writing a topic about showing compassion in the winter as numbers will plummet, then what does he do, he went out and shot hundreds in the spring and summer! now thats compassion! he also posted other topics questioning whether pigeon numbers were down and **** like that. didnt take him long to get these theories out of his head

seems to me that oth doesnt like his status as the king of all pigeon shooters being challenged. and i have looked in on this forum for a long time without actually joining. i remember oth writing a topic about showing compassion in the winter as numbers will plummet, then what does he do, he went out and shot hundreds in the spring and summer! now thats compassion! he also posted other topics questioning whether pigeon numbers were down and **** like that. didnt take him long to get these theories out of his head

I am no king never claimed to be either just enjoying shooting ,I have done all the above nowt wrong with that .

What is and was wrong is shooting staving birds shooting strong healthy birds any any time of year in the name crop protection is what it all about for while maintaing control over numbers and maintaning a good population managment is the key word.

Yes I have shot birds in the spring and summer mainly on laid crops and peas in the pod one of vital crop protection times.

I have had the chance to shoot good numbers but have let them get on with from time to time.

Whats wrong with questioning if I or others have overshot pigeons I think it a healthy thing to do for any of us.

Sorry you feel the way you do about myself .

Also when you use my name please PUT SIR before OTH

Welcome back Micheal I hope I have spelt it right this time BM

Kind regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

I am no king never claimed to be either just enjoying shooting ,I have done all the above nowt wrong with that .

What is and was wrong is shooting staving birds shooting strong healthy birds any any time of year in the name crop protection is what it all about for while maintaing control over numbers and maintaning a good population managment is the key word.

Yes I have shot birds in the spring and summer mainly on laid crops and peas in the pod one of vital crop protection times.

I have had the chance to shoot good numbers but have let them get on with from time to time.

Whats wrong with questioning if I or others have overshot pigeons I think it a healthy thing to do for any of us.

Sorry you feel the way you do about myself .

Also when you use my name please PUT SIR before OTH

Welcome back Micheal I hope I have spelt it right this time BM

Kind regards OTH

michael?! whats that all about? and im sorry your post there was a load of old drivel. and how bout i dont use your name at all, hows that. and is it compassion do refrain from shooting these so called starving birds, which i saw none of, and blast them when they are on the nest with squabs. you answer me is that the actions of a man who shows great compassion for pigeons?

I didnt care what people thought, to me it was always about the number, the higher the better, its what the farmer expects too see when he drives to the gate to see how you done, i had no problem scattering 100+ rook and jackdores about the plot bellie up, rather than just 30 or 40.

Edited by manxman2

I didnt care what people thought, to me it was always about the number, the higher the better, its what the farmer expects too see when he drives to the gate to see how you done, i had no problem scattering 100+ rook and jackdores about the plot bellie up, rather than just 30 or 40.

good for you

we would all be proud with that shot ratio if it actually happened. no one will ever know how a pigeon thinks and there fore never be 100% sure that we were going to get a red letter day every timewe went out. for 1 there would be no pigeons left in the uk and 2, i am sure we would get bored if every time we lifted the gun a pigeon dropped to the ground weather shot up the **** or in the head.

I am not getting on my high horse but it is a load of rubbish. If i shoot 6 pigeons then i tell the farmer i have shot 6. If i shoot 70 then i have shot 70. No ******** from me as you will get found out sooner or later!

Im off to shoot a charlie at 100 yards with my air rifle. ill post the results if i ever get one

pete

I went out crow shooting on Thursday i got 19 for 22 carts, i was using 32g 6/12's good wind and i only started with 3 decoys. they were comming directly over me at 25-30 yrds up.

if you use fieldcraft you can get the birds where you can get a good kill ratio.

Shooting a wildbird is nothing like clay shooting, the bird is unpradictable and takes more skill i recon.

Hi Over the hill,

Whats the green plastic stool in your pics mate looks like the perfect seat for me :good:

Thanks

Ian.

Ian its a garden kneeler its perfect for many reasons first as a shooting stool light you can also turn it upside down and kneel to shoot if as is the case sometimes you cant get the perfect spot due to ground conditions.

It helps to be comfortable it helps you cartridge to kill raio if your happy and I maybe one reach the dizzy heights of Eggy ???

Kind regards OTH

Ian its a garden kneeler its perfect for many reasons first as a shooting stool light you can also turn it upside down and kneel to shoot if as is the case sometimes you cant get the perfect spot due to ground conditions.

It helps to be comfortable it helps you cartridge to kill raio if your happy and I maybe one reach the dizzy heights of Eggy ???

Kind regards OTH

Thanks for OTH, i shall have to get one, not a shotgunner myself but i like to sit concealed and snipe at my quarry with my 17HMR.

Read the stuff from eggy :good: , the most pigeons i have been able to shoot with my rifle is 3!

Ian.

Thanks for OTH, i shall have to get one, not a shotgunner myself but i like to sit concealed and snipe at my quarry with my 17HMR.

Read the stuff from eggy :good: , the most pigeons i have been able to shoot with my rifle is 3!

Ian.

so just because you can only shoot 3 wherever you are obviously means no one else can shoot more :yes::yes:

If this is true fair play to you and what a great cart ratio you have , wish i could match it .

I have only ever once been able to get good bags on the same field in 2 days never been able to do so over 3 days but then again never tryed . But like said on the first day me a a mate shot 308 and then on day 2 i shot 245 did have alook the next day but nothing there at all .

As a norm after a good bag of a ton or more the next day is very hard with birds shying off ,so i find it hard to belive that you got your best bag on day 3 but stranger things have happened !

Tom

IVE been wracking my tiny brain over this for a short time, and only time i can remember in 30+years where i connected 3 days in a row with in excess of 500 birds from the same hide was a winter sown barley field, which had been driven across in the spring, for spring sowing on the land the far side of it.

So when it was milky it was split in 2 by a barren track of short foliage and the rooks and jacks were just landing in that and walking into the barley snapping it down, all along the track, black with them it was.

I set up at the far end out of a bale hide, foliage roof.

shot from 4.30 AMish to 10 am ish.

Went back for alook at teatime and they were back just using the opposite end of the track, so i walloped them the next morning, and same again a third time,

Even tho it was just corvids i still couldnt equal his shot to kill av.

Edited by manxman2

i;m not saying it didn;t happen;its not impossible to shoot that many but damned hard to do 3 days in a row.

but the kill carts ratio is hard to beleive even the 16 times world sporting champion (i think its that many) and top pigeon shot george digweed would struggle to keep up with that :good:

I dont think its doable, but there again ive never been under that many pidgeons in my life, i do know that not even digby would average better than 2 out of three on rooks and jaks on a windy day with the landing area being at 30 yards out.

One twitch of the tail as your pulling on them, and your pattern is heading to where they used to be.

Edited by manxman2

Reading the first post I am reminded of something i was once told people who are really good at things are modest and like to learn always open minded! I'm sure the digger weed is! The first post sounded aragant and the stats faintly mad! Didnt digweed shoot 297 over clays the other week ? This guy would picking up a shotgun every two years to shoot those scores I find that difficult to belive? But hey maybe possible??

You would have to have OCD to be bothered to count the carts and the shots (that precisely) and manage to get yourself out shooting in any day.

Indeed, I guess you would never manage to get out the front door - you would be too busy closing the door, opening it, washing your hands, closing the door, opening it, washing your hands etc etc etc :good:

so just because you can only shoot 3 wherever you are obviously means no one else can shoot more :good::yes:

What i am saying worthy is, the most i have shot with my rifle in any one session is 3 pigeons buts thats together with several rabbits and few crows, unlike many i have no reason not to believe any claims of anyones shooting prowess, everyone gets the benefit of the doubt with me.

Ian.

Edited by Vermincinerator