Good Summer or not

eggy

Well the end of the summer and the same questions on pigeon shooting are being asked.

I have been shooting pigeons since 1963 and as stated on this site many times, have lost count of the 100+ days. Perhaps this little story will answer some of the questions.

As I spend a lot of time out of the UK I return to the home in May for my summer of shooting, a big disappointment this year as I only shot 536 rabbits against my 1600 normal summer bunny bashing.

As for the pigeon shooting up to August this year I had not picked a shotgun up for 2 years , managing to shoot 135 pigeons last year one afternoon with the CZ .22

So this year I had 3 days on the decoys. (damaged cartilage restricted walking)

Kit. Carried

no magnet in my kit ever.

8 decoys .

Cartridges clay shot 7.5’s ( never use anything else )

Gun O/U ½ choke both barrels

And of course 47 years of Experience

Done my reconnaissance, did not start till midday .The pigeons had been on the field a week but due to problems was not allowed out but decided I had to go.( bit of wife nagging you know what I mean)

First day 165 picked up

2nd day 119 picked up (finished 5pm leg to bad pigeons still coming in )

3rd day 216 picked up (finished 5 pm again no shells left .8 wasted cartridges)

Altogether I wasted 32 cartridges most of the pigeons were around 30 yard out, the worst part of this story is I ran out of shells on the last day as, I did not want to walk back upstairs to get a case of 250 when I loaded the car, what a mistake, that comes with age.

On two occasions this summer I watched two lots of shooters shooting at pigeons 70 yd out. They had great sport but did not get the kills .Ask your famer friend what does he want you to do. Have a good day for yourselves or kill his pigeons.

PS I am listed as a newbie on this site I wonder why ( age 64)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some truth in your story I belive like shooters trying to kill birds regularly at distance does not help the shell to kill ratio.

I am along with some on here vikdaz protom etc kill alot of birds regulary total to date from 1st jan to end of sept roughly 4500 with a spell in august of over 800 in under 3 weeks.

But I am trying to find if your claim of 500 to 532 shots is to be admired or laughed at.

I am a fair shot and kill 80 out of 100 birds some days I can kill your claimed cartridge to kill ratio but over over three days in row :look: .

And you may have alot of experiance but after 2 good days to forget a to take a good sum of cartridges of the third day :yes: .

Also I am trying to think how many times a field can be shot so hard 3 days in row with the numbers claimed I would think the biggest bag would have accured of the first day not the thrid :hmm: .

Still this thread could be like the 700 bird bag claimed by one PW memeber when the picture come to light it shoed rougly 200 birds with a picture from half a mile away.

Here so picture of some good nights over august.

Kind regards keep at and where you from in the country.

OTH

soopictures003.jpg

Pigeonshootingaugusts2nd2010.jpg

pigeonshootingjuly16th2010001.jpg

And this is very small selection of my bags this summer as I dont always post every bag I get .

ha ha OTH, i like it. :look:

My best bag is 70. I shot that last year on a flight line with my dad in the same clump of trees getting 66. This is his best day and so 136 together, we havnt got close to it since. We had 50 odd early september over wheat stubble but after that the field was deserted by pigeons. My old man has been chasing the pigeons over two fields of peas since end feb, with his best bag being 54. Never did he get two what we call good shoots twice in two days!

At least you have the photo evidence to back up your days out, OTH. Im not saying that every person who cant back up there days with photos are telling porkies but come on, i have been shooting for a while and would like to call my self experienced but still learning. There is only so much muck that you can read. Why is eggy not shooting at the olympics or have a sponsership or even a dvd out if only missing 32 with 800 or whatever it was shots?

Rant over

Pete

Aye eggy, you're in the wrong job if you can shoot like that. Digweed must be terrified in case you take up clays!

Also, I agree with OTH that it must have been some field to shoot 3 days on the trot.

The only times I've been able to do that was in hard weather when the birds were starving, in very bad shape and the farmers demanded them shot. Not enjoyable at all.

Good luck to you but it takes a bit of believing. :look:

managing to shoot 135 pigeons last year one afternoon with the CZ .22

First day 165 picked up

That really do "S take sum beliveing fella ill say sorry if we see sum pic s :look: :yes::hmm:

managing to shoot 135 pigeons last year one afternoon with the CZ .22

First day 165 picked up

That really do "S take sum beliveing fella ill say sorry if we see sum pic s :look: :yes::hmm:

I got no reason to lie.

It seems to me on this forum if someone does better than the regulars than they are liars.

I shot those pigeons with my Cz becuase I get more satisfaction from shooting with the .22 yes i know they were sitting

but thats how many I got.I have done the pigeon shooting for so many years I have problems getting around so I take the easy option

with the CZ and still enjoy the sport.So i say to you and the other disbelieving morons in this forum.One day you will be in the right place at the right time.

and get the pigeons just where you want them and if you learn to shoot straight maybe you will have the same result.

As for the comment about Digweed ( who I know very well) and have beaten him although many years ago.clays are differant than decoyed pigeons.

I have a clear consciente about my story and as for the 7.5 shot get a life 1/2 choke at 30 yd stripes em.Unless like you lot you shot up the backside.

So if you know digweed whats your real name :look:

All your comments are fair IMO till you get to the cartridge to kill ratio bit that is truly wild or truly world class .

I have no reason to disbelive you or belive you the only way any of us can judge is by the comments posted by members of PW and your carridge to kill ratios is truly amazing and I take my hat off to you if its true.

To call me a forum moron is strong from a member claiming the cartridge to kill ratio of a GOD .

Also spinning back though some of your old posts it seems hard to belive a shooting guy like yourself would be shooting the numbers claimed driving around in gold GTI.

You would need some truck to carry all the woodies .

Still if it true I will take on the chin and one of lifes leasons if its not it only you kidding yourself.

Kind regards OTH

Record bag 561 over beans in 8 hours ADDED THIS BIT FOR EGGY MY BAG IS TRUE NOT IN MY HEAD

Edited by Over the hill

Think we HAVE HIT a raw nerve

Hi tony yes you have hit a nerve.

I have never lied about what I have shot if I were to write a book it would be good but you lot would not believe it.

I have pics of the bags but with limited internet here in spain I never posted them.

I am not really bothered about people who dont believe me.If you said you went out last night and killed 200 rabits I would not call you a liar just

beause my best night is 98.

The shot size for pigeons has always been a one of choice but I am aware of someone who had a left and right at roe deer with 1oz 7's and killed both of them ( that was back in the late 60,s) so why cant pigeons be killed with them.

Being a old age pensioner and my shooting life nearly over all I can say is you young ones have a lot to learn.

I will take the hint and refrain from visiting this forum again

So if you know digweed whats your real name :look:

All your comments are fair IMO till you get to the cartridge to kill ratio bit that is truly wild or truly world class .

I have no reason to disbelive you or belive you the only way any of us can judge is by the comments posted by members of PW and your carridge to kill ratios is truly amazing and I take my hat off to you if its true.

To call me a forum moron is strong from a member claiming the cartridge to kill ratio of a GOD .

Also spinning back though some of your old posts it seems hard to belive a shooting guy like yourself would be shooting the numbers claimed driving around in gold GTI.

You would need some truck to carry all the woodies .

Still if it true I will take on the chin and one of lifes leasons if its not it only you kidding yourself.

Kind regards OTH

The GTI is gone new santa fe now.

All my birds and rabbitts are left where shot no use for them except a few breast for the smoker.

Back in 1976 we got 42p each for pigeons would not pick them up for 10p.

Record bag 561 over beans in 8 hours ADDED THIS BIT FOR EGGY MY BAG IS TRUE NOT IN MY HEAD

is you young ones have a lot to learn.

Yes we have

Please dont we are all only asking a few questions to improve our knowledge of the humble woodie .

I am not questioning your use of 7.5s there are very good at close range birds sat on the ground.

Kind regards OTH

Hi tony yes you have hit a nerve.

I have never lied about what I have shot if I were to write a book it would be good but you lot would not believe it.

I have pics of the bags but with limited internet here in spain I never posted them.

I am not really bothered about people who dont believe me.If you said you went out last night and killed 200 rabits I would not call you a liar just

beause my best night is 98.

The shot size for pigeons has always been a one of choice but I am aware of someone who had a left and right at roe deer with 1oz 7's and killed both of them ( that was back in the late 60,s) so why cant pigeons be killed with them.

Being a old age pensioner and my shooting life nearly over all I can say is you young ones have a lot to learn.

eggy DONT thow ya teddy out of cot mate we only wanted to see a few pic s of your fab day mate no need to run off kicking and sceaming and to kill deer with no" 7 is just plain stupid and cruel to evan try but wat do us young one s no mate we have done 25 years and never had 500 birds for 501 carts you live in cookoo land fella just my thoughts

eggy DONT thow ya teddy out of cot mate we only wanted to see a few pic s of your fab day mate no need to run off kicking and sceaming and to kill deer with no" 7 is just plain stupid and cruel to evan try but wat do us young one s no mate we have done 25 years and never had 500 birds for 501 carts you live in cookoo land fella just my thoughts

Like I said look back in the 1974-76 shooting times Colin Wilock "Town Gun" done a article on my pigeon shooting days and I was averaging 10 for 11 shots

if you dont believe hard luck.

What do i get for telling lies. After not using a shotgun for two years I was happy that I had not lost the nack of killing them.Thats the only reason I mention the ratio to kills ,if you look back as someone said they had done I have said this before on this forum about 7's etc.I have had the ability to pick up any gun and shoot well with it.

I once borrowed a gun from someone with the thought of buyimg it I shot 152 pigeons in the afternoon missed 10 and told him I did not like it .He called me a ******.Yes I shot okay with it but it just did not feel okay.Another story I suppose you dont believe that either. Funny how it is but that was Digweeds best side kick.

I will get the moderator to remove me from this forum, newbies to the sport on other forums take what I say and take notice .I never kill deer with a shotgun only a rifle I said what I was aware of on a pheasant shoot many years ago.In your igorance dont compare clays that Digweed shoots with pigeons over decoys.I get my pigeons where I want them so as to give me good ratio to kills and lots in the bag.Just to upset you a bit more I was sick as a parrot for wasting the last 4 shots but the sun was in my eyes as a eastly wind was blowing.I had a good day I could show you the hide the bag and all but I would not waste my time they are on my new HTC Desire in my new Santa FE ( not bad for a oldy) bye all

Well done eggy. i have shot with a fair few people. Some of them have even taken the Olympic stand for Ireland. i would love to see you shooting and I would love to learn your fieldcraft. You obviously missed your calling life. So, please don't leave the forum. Ignore the moron's and instead get your photos up. Even better I am sure a couple of boy's off here will be happy to tag along the next time your out with video. That way we all get to watch the fun and learn from a master. The next time I shot 500 pigeons off the same field in three days you be damned sure I will blowing about all over this forum. I would suggest to moderator's that this man should instantly be updated to the status of 'Ace pigeon shooter'.

Is that meant to be coilin willock with two LLs not one so if your so famous what is your name :look:

Also I had forum memeber question my bags story did it make me get all uptight no I just kept on posting and found some geninue nice members got a guy I met at hodnet who going to join me over the next month or so for some decoying and for me to pass on some of my knowlegde .You could do the same .

So dont let this put you off posting .

Kind regards OTH

Well the end of the summer and the same questions on pigeon shooting are being asked.

I have been shooting pigeons since 1963 and as stated on this site many times, have lost count of the 100+ days. Perhaps this little story will answer some of the questions.

As I spend a lot of time out of the UK I return to the home in May for my summer of shooting, a big disappointment this year as I only shot 536 rabbits against my 1600 normal summer bunny bashing.

As for the pigeon shooting up to August this year I had not picked a shotgun up for 2 years , managing to shoot 135 pigeons last year one afternoon with the CZ .22

So this year I had 3 days on the decoys. (damaged cartilage restricted walking)

Kit. Carried

no magnet in my kit ever.

8 decoys .

Gun O/U ½ choke both barrels

And of course 47 years of Experience

Done my reconnaissance, did not start till midday .The pigeons had been on the field a week but due to problems was not allowed out but decided I had to go.( bit of wife nagging you know what I mean)

First day 165 picked up

Altogether I wasted 32 cartridges most of the pigeons were around 30 yard out, the worst part of this story is I ran out of shells on the last day as, I did not want to walk back upstairs to get a case of 250 when I loaded the car, what a mistake, that comes with age.

On two occasions this summer I watched two lots of shooters shooting at pigeons 70 yd out. They had great sport but did not get the kills .Ask your famer friend what does he want you to do. Have a good day for yourselves or kill his pigeons.

PS I am listed as a newbie on this site I wonder why ( age 64)

Good effort :yes:

Im **** after 2 weeks without touching my gun, never mind 2 years :look:

I bet your dog was knackered too :hmm:

I have found that going back to the same field the following day ,the birds are very shy and will not come any where near to the decoys.

Any tips on this matter would be gratefully appreciated please :good:

should go to the olympic games i recon m8 wot about you