Good Cartridge for High Pheasants

Im after some decent high pheasant cartridges, ive been told by the guy im going with that we will be wanting something like 36g 4s or 5s :hmm: Ive done plenty of game shooting around where i live where the Victory Rockets i use are more than capable, but ive never been where you really need to " Man Up " on your loads.

I shouldnt need to buy any more than a slab so the price isnt too much of a problem.

Any ideas :rolleyes:

Victory Rockets are about a 30g load in 12g I think. Where on earth are you shooting pheasants in Suffolk/Norfolk that require 36g of lead?

The thing to think about is the gun you are putting heavy loads through, a light English or English type game gun at 6lb will kick a bit, even smack you about. Often such guns are chambered to two and a half inch chambers. If on the other hand you have a "sporter" go for it. Best 36g load i've ever fired is the Hull Cartridge Ultramax in No. 4

Enjoy the birds!

Victory Rockets are about a 30g load in 12g I think. Where on earth are you shooting pheasants in Suffolk/Norfolk that require 36g of lead?

The thing to think about is the gun you are putting heavy loads through, a light English or English type game gun at 6lb will kick a bit, even smack you about. Often such guns are chambered to two and a half inch chambers. If on the other hand you have a "sporter" go for it. Best 36g load i've ever fired is the Hull Cartridge Ultramax in No. 4

Enjoy the birds!

Sorry, i didnt say where i was going, im off to a shoot in Ludow, Shropshire. Apparently the birds are pretty testing hence the hevier load required.

I will be using my Beretta, so should be able to soak up the recoil ok.

2nd vote for the Black Gold - best carts i've ever used (though 6's have always been fine for me)

Funny / glad you mentioned 6s - I had looked all over locally for Black Gold and failed, I had given up thinking about them TBH until I finally managed to source some at the midland game fair from just cartridges who seemed VERY keen to want to sell me 32g 5s I thought about it a minute but decided that they probably had a slightly better profit margin on them and / or had taken too many 32g 5s with them to the show and so I decided to go with what I have normally always used 30g 6s - which will make a comparison with other game loads that I have used (all in 6s) a little fairer / meaningfull. I've not tested them as yet - next weekend will be our first day but given what I've read they should be more than up to the task. If they are at least as good as RC Sipe or Express Supreme Game (pastic wads though) which are my current favourite then I'll be happy.

Edited by paul99

If you are going where I think you might me, right on the Wales -England border, standing in a river valley then 36gr of 4s is the most desirable of loads shot through a reasonably heavy gun and chokes of at least 1/2. In a standard game gun then come down to 32gr otherwise things will soon get pretty unpleasant recoil wise. For average 40 yard birds I use 30gr of 5s in a lightweight O/U game gun with only 1/4 + 1/2 chokes..

A