drilled barley

shawn9914

ps please do not say when the birds are on the field :lol:

Sorry shawn, but in my opinion that is the time to get the decoys out.

Some fields the pigeons seem to find very quickly once they have been drilled, but i have fieldfs on my permission that they never bother with.

There is not a lot of point sitting on a field, unless you know the birds are using it. :lol:

Shawn,

Cranners is quite right, whats the point in going if the birds are not on the field..??

It's very early in the year to drill anything, but as a general rule, I reckon the birds usually take 2 - 3 days to find a drilled field, then a day or two to build up numbers, then the day after that is the best time to shoot.

This does vary, dependant on the crop being drilled, i.e. they will stay for longer on drilled beans, they usually mop up a barley field in a couple of days.

However...if your farmer is using one of the latest pneumatic drills, these are so efficient that they rarely leave any surplus on the top, so be prepared to shoot only a few crows and ferals.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Cat.

big bob, in the pigeon shooting world theres a few sayings and some go like this .your mate says is there any birds on the field yet ?you say ,only a few ..which means just that one or two birds flying about, [next saying] you say theres a few about ,which means theres more than a few but it aint worth shooting yet .[next saying ] you say theres loads about ,which means im going shooting saturday morning...[next saying] you say its blue over ...for pigeon which means ,,im haveing a day off work and getting down to that field as quick as i can as theres thousunds of them :D for crow you say theres loads of the ******* ,the sky or ground was black ,,which in crow shooting and field terms means get your gun out :devil: