• .220 Swift
    • .22-250

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

most foxing is done on the lamp. even with a lightforce lamp u can just make out a full fox through your scope at 300yds a223 is well capable of taking charlie out at this range(its the man/woman behind the rifle that sometimes cant) :devil::D

a 223 is cheap to feed(reloading) and as accurate as **** :D

22/250, 220swift to hot (barrel burners)

if your not intending shooting deer a 243 is not required(foxes only as sated by Frank in his post)

thats my 10penneth worth :lol:

most foxing is done on the lamp. even with a lightforce lamp u can just make out a full fox through your scope at 300yds a223 is well capable of taking charlie out at this range(its the man/woman behind the rifle that sometimes cant) :lol::lol:

a 223 is cheap to feed(reloading) and as accurate as **** :lol:

22/250, 220swift to hot (barrel burners)

if your not intending shooting deer a 243 is not required(foxes only as sated by Frank in his post)

thats my 10penneth worth :)

Well said mate, i agree 157% :D

Could not of put it better myself. :devil::D:)

I cant believe the things my .223 gets up to :D:D Its an amazing caliber, the ideal fox culling tool. :D:lol::D

rem 204 :lol: flat flying out to 300yrds ,no real kick , on par with the 220 swift and 250 but less noise,you can watch the fox drop in your scopes ,we use the 223 and beleave me it out shoots it ,it so easy to shoot ..

From my personell experience of owning the .204 for 6 months, all i can say is the .223 which i have now, is a far more better caliber.

Why, well for these reasons:

.204 is only accurate in most cases with the 32 grain v.max the 40 grain v.max does not group well in most .204s. This is the only factory ammo available for it and as i cant reload in this country, that sucks. :)

The ammo is very expensive over here too for the .204, 35 euro for 20 :D .

I found also that the 32s blew up on foxes when hit on the shoulder and did not enter the vitals, a second shot was needed. :lol::)

Now for the .223:

Dead cheap truck loads of ammo available, good ammo for 10 euro a box of 20, much less recoil then the .204, i CAN see foxes going down, far less barrel ware, less noise, ( i think the .204 has the same noise level as the .22-25 :D ) ect ect.

To some it up, i had nothing but heart ache when i had the .204 :D

Now that i have the .223 for foxes, i am happy as a sand boy and will never look back. :lol::devil::D:lol:

Voted the 22 hornet as it has served me well over the years but seriously thinking of upgrading to the 223 in the very near future.

Will never sell the hornet though!

Too right John, what ever you do, dont sell that sako Hornet of yours, it would be very hard to get one again. :devil:

You have a right to own a second rifle, if you join a target shooting club, you shopuld have no problem getting a .223. Their is one not too far from you, its called the kerry rifle club.

I think the fellas name is Carl or something? Prehaps you know about it? :D

Amazing :lol: , did not know so many people use .243s, for foxes, i would of thought the .223 would be in the lead, over here we cant have .243s for foxes, its deer only :lol: . If we get caought using one on fox, then it would be taken off us. :D:devil: . People do use them though, its human nature. :lol::D

I would think that if you are shooting more foxes then deer, it would be more sensible to opt for one of the .22 centerfires?

Over their in Scotland, you can shoot roe with the .222, .223, swift and the .22-250, what do you all think? If your taking only the odd deer, would not a trip over the border to Scotland satisfy your deer stalking needs? Now this is what i would do, i am in no way trying to make or change peoples minds. :D :*) :) Each to their own, but it just makes more sense to me. :lol:

I've chosen .22/250 as thats what i shoot at the moment

Have had .222 .223 and .22/250 and shot lots with all.

.222 .223 etc are more than capable of killing at fox at 300 yards but if the man/woman behind the gun is not 110% of getting a clean kill then the trigger should not be pulled regardless of range.

I would guess that 90% of foxes that i shoot are at much less than 100% yards with perhaps 30% within "shotgun range" so for me .22/250 is perhaps overkill but my rifle has been adjusted to suit my needs and i shoot well with it.

I would happily shoot any calibre.

Learn to range find at night.

Know the land you shoot over

Know your limits

Calibre not really an issue

;):D

I have .243 for foxing on my ticket so i will be getting a .243 soon but only because i shoot plenty of deer and it makes sense to have 1 rifle.

Anybody wanna buy a well used .22/250 :lol: B) :o

Started off with a Remington 700 heavy barrel 0.223. Lousy trigger but accurate.

Someone convinced me that a 22-250 would be far better - I would be able to shoot foxes @ 300 yards at night. I was dim witted enough to follow this argument, but soon realised that whilst the gun was accurate enough, target ID would not be realistic at this range.

This was a Remington 700 Varmint 22-250 and was a real brute - after carrying it for a couple of miles you wished that you hadn't. However, easy to reload for, and I took an excellent video shooting bunnies at 300 yards with it.

At the same time I bought a Tikka 0.17 Rem, as I couldn't resist the novelty of an exotic calibre. A good weapon, but a high wind had too much effect on accuracy. It was also a sod to have to keep the bore clean. Reloading to get decent accuracy was also difficult at first. So, I realised that exotics are OK for talking about, but.....

I sold both of the above when plod started to give grief about having sound moderators on centre fires. One argument that was used was that Joe Public would not be able to hear where the shots would be coming from.... even though I would be using a 1 million candlepower lamp. In fact BASC used me as a sample case (not nut case) in helping to resolve the issue. Cannot give enough praise to BASC for the help that they gave me on this.

Eventually I sold both and bought a standard Sako 75 0.223, and now have this fitted with an excellent T8 moderator.

Why a 0.223? Accuracy is well up to the job. Rounds are comparatively cheap, and it is easy to reload.

I would love to have a 0.243, but plod on my patch says that it is 'overgunning' for foxes. I really cannot be bothered to argue, as the 0.223 is a good calibre.

Sorry for the epistle, but may be of interest, and save someone some £'s.

THE REMMY 700VSSF IS THE RIFLE I AM USING NOW DEAD EYE.

I HAVE HAD IT SHORTENED AND HAD THE TRIGGER SORTED TOO.

SOUND MOD ALSO ADDED. I CANNOT FAULT THE RIFLE AT ALL AND EVEN AFTER A YEAR IN POLICE CUSTODY ( THE RIFLE NOT ME) THE ZERO HAD NOT SHIFTED AT ALL.

.223 IS A BRILL CALIBRE AND 300 YARDS IS A LONG WAY AT NIGHT EVEN FOR A FIRST CLASS SHOT.

ITS THE MAN BEHIND THE GUN THAT COUNTS AND NOT THE CALIBRE BEING USED.

SHOOTING FOXES CONSISTANTLY AT 300 YARDS TAKES A LOT OF PRACTISE AND NOT MANY CAN DO IT .......ALTHOUGH MANY DO OVER EXAGGERATE THE DISTANCE AT WHICH A FOX HAS BEEN SHOT :D

my rifle

tikka 595 alweather .223

barrel chopped to 18.5"

wildcat mod fitted

trigger sorted

lightforce scope

bullet & load

she spits out 55gn vmax bullets made with

fed brass

fed205 primer

27.5gn varget (compressed load)max load.

like i said in my first post a fox on the lamp at 300yds is hard to make out even using a lightforce lamp with no filter, looking through your scope. i know ive done it (once) 308yds leica 1200

the only real way to tell the distance of your quary is to rangefind it.

miffy you totaly right mate shooting long range takes a hell of a lot of practice to be consistant a hell of alot of practice

Edited by tommy trucker

the comment on range is very true, i have only 1x seen a fox taken at 300 (almost on the dot) unfortunatly i was not behind the bolt.

the foxes i shoot and my two shooting partners (dad and his friend) are anywhere between 25yards and 230 yards (normally), however this is daylight, and has more to do with safe shots than it does ability of the rifles or shooter.

never use the range finder for foxing, but its useful to ping bunnies before setting one of the cannons on them.