First air rifle

Chris_yarrr

OK so I'm after my first air gun and totally lost in a sea of information.

I had narrowed it down to an under lever, more specifically a HW77, then I read further and wanted a HW97.

After shooting a friends PCP s200 I was impressed, would one of these be better?

I've got to buy it second hand as I can't afford a new rifle, my budget is around £250-£300 give or take.

Ive searched and searched for information on these rifles and there's so much available I don't know where to start.

I've seen a HW97 for £240, the serial# is 1375544 (a bit of searching tells me this makes it about 15 years old?), does this sound like a decent price?

Any advice and pointers would be very welcome.

Thanks

Chris

Airrifles are generally seperated into spring(underlever and break barrel), PCP(precharged basicaly runs on compressed air out of its tank) and co2(co2 capsule)

If you looking for spring powered you are on the right track looking at a weihrauch hw97 :good:

Think about weight aswell, the hw97 is a tad bulky on the scales, if you big strapping lad it shouldnt bother you but if not the hw95 is a bit lighter with alot of pedigree

Good thing with springers is all you need to do is feed it with pellets

Pcp on the other hand requires a filling kit. This is quite expensive (unless you could borrow your friends :yes: ) either pump of divers bottle. Because of it using compressed air rather than a coiled spring a pcp will have little to no recoil and will require less skill on the shooters part to be very accurate, as you would have experienced with the s200. Without looking at whats available you might struggle to get a brand new pcp on budget :good: keep an eye out you might find something

Second hand springers wise a weihrauch willl always hold its value as they are great guns some people would say the best springers out there, so they are going to be £240 ish, will vary on condition though

Oh and remember to include the cost of a scope in budget estimations as not all springers come with open sights and pcp dont either

Keep asking if you not sure on stuff

Spicer

Awesome, thanks for the help.

I think I've settled on the HW97 as I like the idea of not having to fill it up with anything other than pellets and I've read a lot on having to re-zero break barrels every so often.

Now for the question I really didn't want to ask but I've got to anyway, to satisfy my curiosity... .177 or .22?

Thanks

Chris

ssshhhh dont ask that question loudly or you will start a huge debate :good:

Basically .177 has a flatter trajectory so more accuarte at range, but it is a lighter pellet so more affected by wind

.22 heavier stopping at closer ranges but need to be able to judge your ranges better if you are shooting at range

They both have their huge supporters and sceptics to really up to personal choice and sircumstances

Hunting wise it doesnt really matter they will both kill a pigeon or rabbit with a headshot at 40yrds

Break barrels will need rezeroing only if the sight or part of the rifle becomes loose, never really had to rezero my hw95

If you are looking for a scope, 3-9x40 will more than suit your needs most popular scope spec for airrifles, if you can, mildot retical too :good:

Glad to be helpful

Spicer

• 4 weeks later...

wont go far wrong with the hw range of airrifles.not many people have a bad word for them.i have had some airguns in my time and the weihrauch tops em all in my opinion mate.whatever you get be safe and enjoy your shooting also have respect for your quarry nice clean within range shots.

For your budget get a HW97 or HW77.Weihrauch make quality spring rifles!

For all I've got an hw100s pcp now, I rue the day I parted with my hw97k.

Outstanding gun and one day I will have another!

.22 is probably better if you're new to hunting with an air rifle and keeping ranges on the sensible side of 30 ish yards, depending how confident at the range you are.

Had a 95k too - fabulous rifle :yes::good:

Edited by The Duncan

If you can wait until the gun show/game fair season sarts again your budget would get gun and scope brand spankers or very upmarket pre-owned outfit. The latest CA magazine had a flyer for a shooting show in Newark in early Feb 11. We shoot Gamo spingers (wait for the boos from the cheap seats) and both guns plus scopes came in well under £250 at the CLA Game Fair.

If you can wait until the gun show/game fair season sarts again your budget would get gun and scope brand spankers or very upmarket pre-owned outfit. The latest CA magazine had a flyer for a shooting show in Newark in early Feb 11. We shoot Gamo spingers (wait for the boos from the cheap seats) and both guns plus scopes came in well under £250 at the CLA Game Fair.

Actually, the only reason I offloaded my break barrel gamo springer was that it got wet and then went inaccurate. Til that point it was a great rabbit hunter. TBH, I didn't dry it properly and left it in a damp gunbag, so I don't blame the rifle. I missed Weihrauch so took it back to the gunshop and upgraded to the stunning 95K :blush:

I would recommend Gamo Springers, cheaper than Weihrauch and nearly as good. :yes:

Have a look at the HW90 mate. Thats a gas ram system which is much more efficient then a spring gun. Though the hw77/97 are quality guns all the same.

What ever you choose though. I hope you enjoy it.

Ditto....

HW90 is quality rifle using gas ram instead of a spring.

It works like compressing a shock absorber instead of a spring

Single shot, break barrel and will come within your budget.

If buying 2nd hand, try to get it chrono'd to check power

ie low indicates seals may be leaky - high (over 12ft/lbs needs FAC)

It is a good starter rifle but I guarantee a year down the line you will be

looking for a multishot PCP or a rimfire so get saving !

cheers

Edited by peek-at