Pigeon over winter rape

Man-o-woods

i;m the same as you and when i do people who pass on the motorway are looking over and thinking what the hell is he looking at.

also to add they are on the rape round me now the cold weather this week has put them on it and its going to stay cold all next week as well so good chances for a decent bag i think for any member.

My missus tells me off and says keep your eyes on the road :lol:

Good numbers on rape and had a call about birds on winter linseed so got a member of the site helping me out with this tomorrow as we game shoot tomorrow :oops:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out early this morning while waiting for a call from my mate who I've loaned ny decoying stuff to for his maiden outing on live pigeons.

Pigeons all over my permission on a sma;; bare patch of OSR. Only had a camo' poncho and six assorted deeks in the car, so I gave it a go. Had a few before the sun melted the snow and made all the field available. Never got the phone call - he decided it was too cold. That's clay shooters for you :rolleyes:

Ended up humping wheat to the remote feeders to ensure that they don't run out before next week's shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

Out early this morning while waiting for a call from my mate who I've loaned ny decoying stuff to for his maiden outing on live pigeons.

Pigeons all over my permission on a sma;; bare patch of OSR. Only had a camo' poncho and six assorted deeks in the car, so I gave it a go. Had a few before the sun melted the snow and made all the field available. Never got the phone call - he decided it was too cold. That's clay shooters for you :rolleyes:

Ended up humping wheat to the remote feeders to ensure that they don't run out before next week's shoot.

havent been down to my patch now for a couple o weeks, Last time I went, Was set up before sunrise. First light the birds started to gather in yonder beech trees. Then the fog came down. Game over.

Out for a recce today, we are still under 1-2ft of snow here so spotting the birds wasn't hard. Found a few hundred on some rape, the crop was hardly visible but the birds were on top pulling the leaves off. Only other quantities I saw were on some sheep turnips. Cold weather is here for a while so hopefully conditions will be OK for a trip next week. Can't go till then because of work. Mind you, a slight thaw wouldn't go amiss, car temp guage said -9c!

Out for a recce today, we are still under 1-2ft of snow here so spotting the birds wasn't hard. Found a few hundred on some rape, the crop was hardly visible but the birds were on top pulling the leaves off. Only other quantities I saw were on some sheep turnips. Cold weather is here for a while so hopefully conditions will be OK for a trip next week. Can't go till then because of work. Mind you, a slight thaw wouldn't go amiss, car temp guage said -9c!

Should get a bit of a thaw over the weekend by the looks with a day time temp of 5c and the sunday 7c a mini heat wave .

Birds round me are mainly on ivy berries and maize strips plus feeders so need a thaw to draw them back to the rape please :yes:

Let's see what the weekend brings, I didn't see any on the maize stubble where before I saw hundreds, even though it was poking through. Mind you, had six in my back garden today and they looked mighty plump! Must be the chicken feed I have been putting down for the small birds!

I will have to wait till feb till i get on the maize strips but thats when i make my best bags :yes: shot a few over the last few days and all been in good nic and some were in very good nic :good:

I dont see any replys from Hampshire yet.

Any of you Hants folk got any joy yet?

Only just starting to see a hand full feeding on the rape down my end. Shot a few at the weekend, all but one was full it :yes:

I was up your way today, thought they would be getting stuck into it seeing as you still have snow :hmm:

had me eye on a couple of rape fields for about 4 weeks now not to far away from home and i was just waiting for any birds to go on it and then ask farmer for a crack at them;i passed the field this afternoon and it was full of woodies approx 500;on the deck and birds pulling out of a tree line and a wood bordering field;thought right a knock on the door is in order and when i did got this response;can i help you;i said sorry to bother you just trying to find out who farms the 2 rape fields;farmer said is there a problem..no i said just around 500 pigeons feeding on them and was wundering if i could have a go..he said i know its full of pigeons but don;t allow anybody shooting on my land.i said fair enough. but strange thing is no bird scarers or gas guns on the fields and he knows there is a lot of pigeons on the rape ??????

had me eye on a couple of rape fields for about 4 weeks now not to far away from home and i was just waiting for any birds to go on it and then ask farmer for a crack at them;i passed the field this afternoon and it was full of woodies approx 500;on the deck and birds pulling out of a tree line and a wood bordering field;thought right a knock on the door is in order and when i did got this response;can i help you;i said sorry to bother you just trying to find out who farms the 2 rape fields;farmer said is there a problem..no i said just around 500 pigeons feeding on them and was wundering if i could have a go..he said i know its full of pigeons but don;t allow anybody shooting on my land.i said fair enough. but strange thing is no bird scarers or gas guns on the fields and he knows there is a lot of pigeons on the rape ??????

Baffling! Some farmers don't mind pigeons grazing the rape when it gets going too well in the autumn, but there is a difference between grazing and stripping the plants bare - unless he knows for sure, he better be careful in case they clean up. Can't say you didn't try.