Pigeon over winter rape

Man-o-woods

I got another 105 acres of OSR yesterday so went and checked it today. I pushed about 300 pigeon off 1 of the fields and they didnt venture very far, just sat in trees around the field and then dropped back on it once i was further up the field. Will hopefully be out mid week to have a go at them.

Cheers

Ben

Similar thing:- On Saturday while lining up for a beating line over rape there were hundreds and they were reluctant to move away. This morning, same fields, I've had two shots for one bird. :blush:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres a Rape field 5 minutes from my house and today i would say there were easily 800 feeding on it and more pouring on. Problem is, some fella has the shooting but is never on it. One of those - Its mine and your not getting a shot kinda guys . The Farmer seems to think hes doing a good job keeping the pigeons off it. If only he could see what i saw..............

Drew a blank today on some rape that the birds were feeding on yesterday, they just didn't materialise apart from one small flock which I managed a left and right from. I packed up at 1pm and went to a rape field which borders some roost woods, as I know hundreds, if not thousands are feeding on nearny maize stubbles and I was on the flightpath back home. Had some cracking sport with some real screamers. Plenty of the birds, which were all in great condition, had berries in their crops though. Finished with 26. Woodies fetching 75p at the game dealer now, pheasants 60p!

Drew a blank today on some rape that the birds were feeding on yesterday, they just didn't materialise apart from one small flock which I managed a left and right from. I packed up at 1pm and went to a rape field which borders some roost woods, as I know hundreds, if not thousands are feeding on nearny maize stubbles and I was on the flightpath back home. Had some cracking sport with some real screamers. Plenty of the birds, which were all in great condition, had berries in their crops though. Finished with 26. Woodies fetching 75p at the game dealer now, pheasants 60p!

75p now thats good :blink: and 60p for pheasants we are getting 40p each on pheasants with £1.50 a brace of patridges

still not on the rape in any numbers round me seen 8 on 1 field when driving past.and few in the trees. but i am seeing birds heading over the motorways towards rape fields i don;t shoot at first light when driving to work so they are turning their attention to it in the northwest;already bags being shot in other counties i;m aware of that. but waiting to see a decent number and a decent flightline before i commit on them.

still not on the rape in any numbers round me seen 8 on 1 field when driving past.and few in the trees. but i am seeing birds heading over the motorways towards rape fields i don;t shoot at first light when driving to work so they are turning their attention to it in the northwest;already bags being shot in other counties i;m aware of that. but waiting to see a decent number and a decent flightline before i commit on them.

Still no big numbers near me either Daz

One day there on rape and the next there on the hawthorn berries and have got millions on combined maize .

Saw a massive flock moving not flighting roughly 10000 birds high in blue sky watched them with binos and they flew a good 15 clicks before dropping into a wood just outside of oxford.

You could tell they had up sticks from there current feeding area.

Out friday on the maize keep you updated.

Cheers OTH

I get too distracted driving to work looking at fields, swerving all over the place! I need a driver so I can scan the land.

i;m the same as you and when i do people who pass on the motorway are looking over and thinking what the hell is he looking at.

also to add they are on the rape round me now the cold weather this week has put them on it and its going to stay cold all next week as well so good chances for a decent bag i think for any member.