Crow / Magpie tactics

Weimermad

Farmer phoned tonight asked if i could go down to sort some crows / magpies out for him. I have have shot corws before, but only going inot roost. I was after the best way to go about this, he says they are on the fields in huge numbers when he is out feeding the sheep. Would it be wise to shoot at this time, decoy them or get them at roost? any advice, tip or tricks greatfully appreciated!! cheers

A friend of mine shoots rooks when they are feeding on the remains of the sheep food, with a silenced air rifle.

As the feed troughs are near some outbuildings, he has lots of available cover.

A silenced air rifle may be a good option with livestock about.

The livestock may make shotgunning over decoys a dodgy option, unless they have a large field and can get away from the shots.

Horses and sheep in particular, do not like loud noises.

If you can get them away from the livestock, then they will come to decoys quite readily.

Farmer phoned tonight asked if i could go down to sort some crows / magpies out for him. I have have shot corws before, but only going inot roost. I was after the best way to go about this, he says they are on the fields in huge numbers when he is out feeding the sheep. Would it be wise to shoot at this time, decoy them or get them at roost? any advice, tip or tricks greatfully appreciated!! cheers

Try shooting them over a decoy of an owl or a stuffed fox Weimermad.

Works a treat over here for us.

Weimermad

I'd say those crows are rooks. Crows do not, repeat do not congregate in 'huge numbers' but are generally solitary, pairs or small family groups (at certain times of the year). Easily recognised; crows are all black from head to toe (unless it's a hoody) rooks (certainly adult birds which they should be at this time of year) have a bald white-ish patch at the base of the beak, it stands out even from a distance. Rooks also do not do as much damage to crops as farmer might think in fact they are more than likely, in this instance especially around sheep, clearing up insect larve and soil bound pests. They are noisy and **** a lot if on an established roost. Best time to cull them is when the leaves are off the trees and you can get them on the roost i.e. now. Magpies are a different matter. They need a lot of lead with extreme predudice! Not sure how many rooks you'd catch in a larsen trap, it does happen but they're not aggressively territorial like crows and magpies.

Not sure how many rooks you'd catch in a larsen trap, it does happen but they're not aggressively territorial like crows and magpies.

I don't think rooks will go in a Larsen trap.

I've caught foxes, badgers, plenty of crows, even blackbirds, a robin, a squirrel and several cats, but never a rook.

That's the beauty of a Larsen trap - you don't have to sit around for hours absolutely motionless, freezing your nuts off, waiting for the magpies that are sitting cackling away and laughing at you from a sitty tree 200 yards away - the trap is working away for you whilst you are doing whatever you want to do, and if you do catch your neighbour's moggie, you can release it unharmed with nothing worse than a good talking to..!!

Cat.