Which dies do you use.??

Yes, a mate at my gym has some and has just sold it after trying my gear and seeing the difference in the ammo produced. He had a Sako rifle and couldn't get it to group under 1" at 100yds with his "LEE" homeloads. He asked me to try and make a load for him and within 1 afternoon I managed to get the rifle grouping consistently using Berger 80 grain bullets and varget with my gear. I tried to use his gear to produce the same loadswith really **** results. I just couldnt get them to seat consistently and measuring the seating and adjusting the seating was very difficult. Lee gear is ideal if you are on a shoestring and are happy with 1-2" groups at 100yds. I am not happy with that sort of grouping so I buy better.

It really isn't rocket science....... read the books, buy the gear and take your time........Result !!!

At last a reply ROBBO to LEE DIES :good:

So basically your saying you've tried loading with them ONCE :yes:

And you read the books :rolleyes:

Well there you go then :good:

At last a reply ROBBO to LEE DIES :good:

So basically your saying you've tried loading with them ONCE :yes:

And you read the books :rolleyes:

Well there you go then :good:

I spoke to Reloading solutions, Midway uk, and Norman Clarkes at Rugby and they all told me that If I wanted to make good quality ammo to get RCBS or Redding. Lee is ok for making basic ammo but the quality of the reloading equipment is not as good as RCBS or Redding.

So with that info to hand from prominent experts in the field I steered clear of Lee equipment.

I have since used some Lee gear from a friend and found it to be of a poor quality and not as easy to use as my Redding gear.

Come on guys, you must all be joking me here, some of the basic stuff is good like the case trimmer and primer tool. But the dies and press are really poor compared to Redding and RCBS.

If you find the Redding and RCBS gear to be expensive just tell the truth......

"That stuff is really good but I just cannot afford it that is why I use the Lee stuff!"

There, I have done it for you.

I dont like or use Lee dies or equipment because of their poor engineering, however my shooting buddy who is a complete tight wad has been loading on Lee equuipment for 25 years or so.

He has put together loads for his 223 and 308 which outshoot most rounds assembled by many shooters on the best quality dies.

About 7 years ago using a Rem 700 PSS i conducted side by side tests of 243 ammo loaded on Redding Comp. dies and ammo loaded with Lee collet dies.

I shot five, 5 shot groups @ 100yds for each die make alternately and can honestly say that there was no difference at all in the grouping capability of the ammo from each die set.

Ian.

i use Redding comp dies for my 260ai in a Lee press, i take care in my reloading and am precise with my weighing and measurements when seating the rounds and achieve very accurate and consistent loads, i done the same with my 223 also redding dies on Lee press.

It all comes down to the effort you put into it, you could have the Lee stuff and be fanatical in your reloading and have great accuracy and consistency, or have Redding,RCSB,Wilson etc slap it all together with no care thinking just because you have all the gear but no idea and have poor inconstant loads

i use Redding comp dies for my 260ai in a Lee press, i take care in my reloading and am precise with my weighing and measurements when seating the rounds and achieve very accurate and consistent loads, i done the same with my 223 also redding dies on Lee press.

It all comes down to the effort you put into it, you could have the Lee stuff and be fanatical in your reloading and have great accuracy and consistency, or have Redding,RCSB,Wilson etc slap it all together like a newbie fireman with no idea thinking just because you have all the gear but no idea and have poor inconstant loads

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

top man.

I dont like or use Lee dies or equipment because of their poor engineering, however my shooting buddy who is a complete tight wad has been loading on Lee equuipment for 25 years or so.

He has put together loads for his 223 and 308 which outshoot most rounds assembled by many shooters on the best quality dies.

About 7 years ago using a Rem 700 PSS i conducted side by side tests of 243 ammo loaded on Redding Comp. dies and ammo loaded with Lee collet dies.

I shot five, 5 shot groups @ 100yds for each die make alternately and can honestly say that there was no difference at all in the grouping capability of the ammo from each die set.

Ian.

Ian,

That may be the case Ian and I wouldn't dis-believe you, but I think it speaks for itself when you look on the 6mbr site and nearly all the top shooters use the Redding Competition dies or similar.

How many use the Lee dies.

I think that speaks for itself.

I carried out a similar experiment to you with my mates Lee dies and I couldnt get it to group very well.

I use my gear with the very same components and not only did it give tighter groups, but it was so much easier to use.

BTW I wasn't the one taking the shots with both sets of ammo, my mate was.

He has since sold his Lee gear and bought Redding.

Anyhow guys,

Its been fun on here tonight as ever.

Thanks for the banter, I have enjoyed it honestly.

Take Care and play safe.

Rob

xxx

Edited by robbobsam

I do agree that generally Lee isn't up there with Redding in terms of quality. What is utter ******** is the sentiment that you can't produce good ammo with Lee dies - it's simply not true. I can and regularly do produce good ammo with Lee kit. I have Redding dies where possible and I much prefer them to work with, but I can get lee to do the job.