COMPUTER VIRUS ALERT

dolphin

PLEASE READ, DO NOT IGNORE

FYI TO ALL:

Dave's brother is a very advanced programmer who does computer work for a living and has a high up status with Microsoft. He doesn't send these if they aren't real. If he says this is for real, it for sure is. Be aware. VIRUS COMING !

Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes, and it is for real. Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,'regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard

disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you

need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer

immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN.

It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday,

and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital

information is kept.

ATB Dolphin

PLEASE READ, DO NOT IGNORE

FYI TO ALL:

Dave's brother is a very advanced programmer who does computer work for a living and has a high up status with Microsoft. He doesn't send these if they aren't real. If he says this is for real, it for sure is. Be aware. VIRUS COMING !

Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes, and it is for real. Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,'regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard

disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you

need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer

immediately. This is the worst virus announced by CNN.

It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday,

and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital

information is kept.

ATB Dolphin

Here is the actual link to snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

scroll down the page a bit.

If you do receive a suspicious "postcard" don't click on it, as it might send you to a website where there might be a genuine threat. The message itself is not a threat.

The exact text of the above warning has been circulating since 2007. It isn't a new threat.

edit: beaten to it.

Edited by HW682

Have any of these emails about virus's viruss virisis bugs ever been real?

99.99% no.

If there's a serious enough virus, one of the leading antivirus firms contact the press. Last one I saw in the news (major news that is) was the ILOVEYOU/Loveletter worm. It cropped up in 2000 but I remember it being broadcast in 2005 ish.

There have been plenty of other notable major viruses though.

99.99% no.

If there's a serious enough virus, one of the leading antivirus firms contact the press. Last one I saw in the news (major news that is) was the ILOVEYOU/Loveletter worm. It cropped up in 2000 but I remember it being broadcast in 2005 ish.

There have been plenty of other notable major viruses though.

Last major virus/malware news? 2005? What news do you read ;)

Conficker, Operation Aurora, Stuxnet are a few that recently made the 'news'.

Best thing with all these email alerts (funnily enough they are actually spam mail - unsolicited email..) is to treat them as such and delete them.

Sign up to security advisory alerts from security vendors and keep an eye on their virus alert pages.

Example, McAfee's pages :

http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/securityadvisory/signup.aspx

http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/default.asp

Last major virus/malware news? 2005? What news do you read ;)

Conficker, Operation Aurora, Stuxnet are a few that recently made the 'news'.

I think it's more the notability of an ILOVEYOU email. I get enough of those, so my ears pricked up ;):P

Yes, I did say there were plenty of other notable viruses - it was just the last one I remembered (although it felt like yesterday when I heard about it :rolleyes: )

...Anyway, Dolphin - Who's your good source? :P

Edited by Billy.