Oh No here we go

Chally2

Aye, slightly biased view there. Though the rozzers were sure to say that it's only the rogues causing the problems which was good though.

Must say there's nothing I hate more than when irresponsible people drive those g4y bikes without exhausts making as much of a racket as they can, or laners driving where it's not a green lane.

Massive fan of greenlaners using designated lanes though, and more than happy to 'pay a farmer to churn up his fields' as Craven puts it. :good: :good:

Craven makes my blood boil :angry:

This squinty eyed pensioner ruins my sundays with his bias reporting,always starts with some clever editing to show how bad 'insert topic here' is,show clips of offending subject,cut to squinty looking smug interviewing his prey of the week,cut to objectors,cut to representive of topic,fade to desruction of country side,cut back to super hero squinty :shout::mad:

Right point one.

The guy complaining of 4X4 damage was driving a defender himself.

Two .The countryfile crew drive round the whole country in gas guzzing D3s.

The boys in the pay and play site have nowt to do with the problems on byways as they are on private land.

And there other argument is a few are causing damage etc to byways by speeding so all vechiluar use should be stopped.

Well if thats the case outside my house hundred speed pass my house so in there view my road should be turned into a right of way only for pepole and horses YIPEEE.

Totally rubbish countryfile should be banned .

Regards OTH

I know the farmer that owns that pay & play site, frankly the land set aside for the 4x4s and motorcross is useless for farming either arable or livestock so good luck to him for making a few quid every other sunday letting people "churn it up" - and why do they always use that phrase like it is a bad thing? I remember protesters at the Welsh Hill Rally years ago moaning about the fields being "churned up" - a week later those same fields were being ploughed, and if that isn't churning I don't know what is.

We all know there are some irresponsible off roaders out there but one of the complaints made me laugh out loud - the family who visted the countryside for the first time and their daughters were scared after being passed by two bikes, and vowed never to visit the countryside ever again...presumably there are no motor vehicles in the city where they live?

The worst comment they could make about off roaders on legal green lanes was that they were being 'inconsiderate' - round here the ramblers and their dogs are the most inconsiderate and arrogant users of the countryside, closely followed by the horse riders. I can't remember the exact figures but the ratio of footpath miles to B.O.A.T. is something like 100 to 1 -there is plenty of room for everyone. I think we all know who is being selfish here.

Edited by Diceman

there is a point to it though the greenlaners do go out actively wanting lanes that need 4x4 to get down and rut them up badly for other users. We have issues with a couple of them and have a prohibition order on one end as that is in Bedfordshire who will help whereas the other end is in herts where they won't. The main problems have been ****** using them to set up camp on the farm with the associated mess and costs to remove them, kids on trail bikes no insurance no nothing using them to get on the farm then riding wherever they like. The fundamental is greenlaners go down greenlanes as they are muddy and they can play with their 4x4's the end result is everyone else has trashed lanes to use.

there is a point to it though the greenlaners do go out actively wanting lanes that need 4x4 to get down and rut them up badly for other users. We have issues with a couple of them and have a prohibition order on one end as that is in Bedfordshire who will help whereas the other end is in herts where they won't. The main problems have been ****** using them to set up camp on the farm with the associated mess and costs to remove them, kids on trail bikes no insurance no nothing using them to get on the farm then riding wherever they like. The fundamental is greenlaners go down greenlanes as they are muddy and they can play with their 4x4's the end result is everyone else has trashed lanes to use.

But there is a rougue element in our sport does that mean that you should be stopped shooting because of others who dont stick to law.

Regards OTH

as the law stands you can make whatever mess you like, the lanes aren't usually made to take vehicle traffic its just ancient law that allows it. Funnily enough Herts have been improving some round us and putting a decent base down. This actually discourages them as its not what they are looking for, pay and play sites are the best place if you want to off road properly

as the law stands you can make whatever mess you like, the lanes aren't usually made to take vehicle traffic its just ancient law that allows it. Funnily enough Herts have been improving some round us and putting a decent base down. This actually discourages them as its not what they are looking for, pay and play sites are the best place if you want to off road properly

But do you think it should be banned because of a rogue users .

Cheers OTH

The things you mention Alex are not really anything to do with green lanes and their users, it's to do with the ****** and people who do take part in illegal activities. Do you think that if those lanes are closed to legal traffic that the ****** etc are going to stop using them for what they do now? we have plenty of locks cut off our private roads so that rubbish can be dumped or people can go and play in the old sidings on their pit bikes. Never find legal users doing it, always non-road legal pit bikes or people in transit tippers.

I green lane, I use them to get to places people don't usually go in cars, to see countryside people don't normally get to see but I get to see more of it, quicker. I'm not interested in churning it up or upsetting other users, I go to pay2play days to try to get my d3 stuck or to get mud all up the sides of it. If the green lanes had a firm top and I could drive up them at 10mph I'd still use them. I can't drive up a country lane at 10mph without ******* people off.

Of course as OTH says there are rogues who take the ****, but no differently to people doing handbrake turns in carparks or burnouts at the lights. or being 50% over the speedlimit :oops:

John Craven is a hypocrite and a lazy journalist nothing more.

He always sides with the lefties that believe people shouldn't have fun and ban everything.

I thought it was strange that they paid out £13000 to restore damage to a moor??? Which is orginally created by damage caused by man????!!???

I only watch it for a good laugh. Did they mention in the Wild cat scheme that they would be killing feral cats?

A good deal of Green Laning goes on in this neck of the woods, and it seems to be most prevalent when the weather is really bad almost as if the drivers try to pit their vehicles against the foulest weather and terrain, which inevitably leads to the bridleways (which are regularly used by the numerous riders in the area) being churned up to oblivion and damage to ancient dry stone walls making them virtually impassable to ramblers and riders. Only yesterday I came across several in the valley below me one of whom had obviously used a sapling ash to winch themselves out of a mud trap resulting in the complete destruction of the tree. Ive got nothing against them as such and wouldnt want to spoil anyones weekend pleasures but why is it always on Sunday mornings using vehicles which appear to have little or no noise attenuation. If its on Private land, with the Landowners blessing then fair enough but in my opinion Public Bridleways wider footways and disused railway lines should be out of bounds. By the way its not ****** in this area they would dream of running the 08 plate RR up a muddy track. Sooner or later there is going to be a serious accident involving one of these unscrupulous greenlaners and then the **** will really hit the fan…… If you excuse the expression.

But do you think it should be banned because of a rogue users .

Cheers OTH

If it was A rogue user there wouldn't be an issue, we get a mix of hard core 4x4's and trail bikes and quads. Bearing in mind the farm is fairly close to Luton I'd actually say we don't get any that aren't being a pain in the backside. From a crime point of view its the only access to 3 farms that isn't secure so the route the coursers use to get in. The "caravan" access had been stopped with a prohibition notice which pretty much stopped any "legitimate" use as its now a dead end. And the trail bikes and quads that go at high speed terrifying the horse riders and general public don't really need much slating. More use of prohibition notices and ability to shut green lanes that are a problem would help. Some areas its fine but here its a pain in the backside

Sooner or later there is going to be a serious accident involving one of these unscrupulous greenlaners and then the **** will really hit the fan…… If you excuse the expression.

Already happened when a girl in an overturned disco drowned in a swollen river in wales last year.

Hasn't made any difference really.

Edited by J@mes

Already happened when a girl in an overturned disco drowned in a swollen river in wales last year.

Hasn't made any difference really.

Yes Im sorry I meant involving a Greenlaner and a member of the Public...There have been one or two close calls locally with Greenlaners encountering Horse riders..

That particular case at Llyn Brianne in 2008 involved a young girl who was a willing passenger in a discovery being driven by a relative trying to ford a swollen river. Im not sure they were Greenlaning as such in the sense of the word that you or I understand.

Ok, I see what you mean. No it won't be long before there is an accident, and the lanes are closed for good. But when that happens, you'll remove the legal, law abiding users and the illegal users will continue to use them in the manner they do now.

It's a bit like gun crime really. A few people **** about, why punish everyone?

John Craven is a hypocrite and a lazy journalist nothing more.He always sides with the lefties that believe people shouldn't have fun and ban everything.

I thought it was strange that they paid out £13000 to restore damage to a moor??? Which is orginally created by damage caused by man????!!???

I only watch it for a good laugh. Did they mention in the Wild cat scheme that they would be killing feral cats?

Is that your Opinion of him?, Do you know him? have you ever worked with him? or met him ?

If he is a hypocrite then he Shoots, Fishes, Greenlanes, and uses the Countryside like the rest of us doesnt he.?