Benelli Supersport, first thoughts...

majordisorder

Well I finally got to take my new Benelli Supersport out for a crack today. For those who haven’t seen one they’re a carbon fibre effect semi auto with a brushed nickel receiver, allegedly the competition gun in the Benelli range. Having only held one briefly at Sporting Targets it was a bit of a leap of faith to order one and hope it works out okay especially being a lefty and needing a gun fairly long in the stock. I got a cracking deal from Northampton Gun (which I’d recommend to anyone) and GMK finally got it delivered after a week waiting for the snow to melt…

A quick visit to the coach at Northampton Shooting ground confirmed that it fitted like a glove (with the extra-long LH replacement gel pad) so I was itching to get out and have a pop. A quick warm up on the skeet then two rounds of sporting and here are my findings…

Loading the Supersport threw up a bit of a problem. Not sure if this is common on all autos but quite often a cartridge would get stuck going into the magazine. I use Modenas and it seemed like they were getting hooked up on the brass, maybe it’s just my technique but I’ll try some other carts if it continues.

Although the Benelli packaging says you should only use 32g carts I had no problems at all with the 28g Modena. Not one stoppage or failure to eject. Couldn’t say the same for the Napier Safety Flag, goes in really easy but an absolute pig to get out again due to it getting hooked up on the internals. I think I’ll be looking for a different safe flag, maybe one of those metal ones.

The Supersport is a fast gun. Very quick to mount, get swinging and pull through. I guess this is probably down to its lightweight and the fact that I’ve got the 28” barrel. I did have the odd occasion though when my swing through stopped after the shot. Whether that was due to the lack of weight in the gun I’m not sure but I’ve got my eyes on one of the Briley weighted mag caps if the problem continues.

Actually firing the Supersport is a joy. I’ve not ever worried about recoil and the Benelli Comfortech system makes if virtually non-existent as far as I can tell. It did seem a bit noisier than my old 525 but maybe that’s down to the ported barrels? On that, I’m not sure if porting really makes any difference but I did seem to be able to acquire the second target a bit easier than normal and I’m sure there’s a little less flip too.

The kills I was getting where much cleaner than normal for me too. Several dustings and loads of very fragmented clays suggests that the chokes used in the Benelli throw better patterns than the standard Browning Invectors. The only problem I found with the chokes was that they seemed to come loose rather quickly. Being extended I only hand tightened them but they were needing a pinch after every 6 shots or so.

All in all a cracking gun and a promising start. Really hope I can get over the loading issue but other than that I’d recommend one to anyone. Anyone else pimped their Supersport? Some of the Briley bits look nice but not altogether necessary (like the anodised cocking lever)

I’d be interested to hear about any other owners experiences.

Yes, they're lovely guns, but GMK say that you should "break the gun in" by firing off a few boxes of 32 g loads before you use 28 g loads.

I hear what you say about the chokes coming loose, they can be tightened with a tool, also I've found that the bolt release button is too small so I've had a customised Briley lever fitted to mine together with a weighted mag cap.

I've also tried a 4" barrel extension that converts the 28" to a 32", that slows the swing down even more and makes the very lively gun point a lot steadier...!!

It's very important to lube the mechanism with the lube supplied with the gun.

I wouldn't bother with a safety flag, it instantly identifies you as a noob and therefore a potential safety hazard to others, I don't know of any of the top class shooters who shoot S/A's that use one, and they actually contravene CPSA safety rules which state that the action must always be open. Far better to get into the habit of only ever closing the bolt on a live shell in the cage and sleeve the gun between stands.

Chuck it in the bin, (along with your snapcaps). :yes:

Cat.

If it's your first auto you will rarely go back to another configuration after realizing the ease of using them,I sometimes think about a traitional gun,just to blend in at the clay ground if I'm honest but I like my Auto's and am happy with them

There's nowt wrong with using a semi auto at Clay grounds, provided you are safe, and keep it slipped between stands.

Many top class shots now use them.

Cat.

There's nowt wrong with using a semi auto at Clay grounds, provided you are safe, and keep it slipped between stands.

Many top class shots now use them.

Cat.

Yup your right Cat,and I don't have a problem and my local clay grounds don't either,a nice engraved/stock O/U looks nice sometimes

Yes, they're lovely guns, but GMK say that you should "break the gun in" by firing off a few boxes of 32 g loads before you use 28 g loads.

I hear what you say about the chokes coming loose, they can be tightened with a tool, also I've found that the bolt release button is too small so I've had a customised Briley lever fitted to mine together with a weighted mag cap.

I've also tried a 4" barrel extension that converts the 28" to a 32", that slows the swing down even more and makes the very lively gun point a lot steadier...!!

It's very important to lube the mechanism with the lube supplied with the gun.

I wouldn't bother with a safety flag, it instantly identifies you as a noob and therefore a potential safety hazard to others, I don't know of any of the top class shooters who shoot S/A's that use one, and they actually contravene CPSA safety rules which state that the action must always be open. Far better to get into the habit of only ever closing the bolt on a live shell in the cage and sleeve the gun between stands.

Chuck it in the bin, (along with your snapcaps). :yes:

Cat.

The flag stayed in my pocket after the first stand and as you said the action open instead :D

I'm going to shoot with it for a couple of weeks before deciding which "upgrades" are needed. Hadn't thought of the barrel extension but will add it to the list of Briley goodies.

I also found that the cases ejected with such force they were rebounding off the cage, another thing to get used to after the more civilised O/U :rolleyes:

Hi everyone.I am quite new to shooting, and have read in quite a lot of posts about how some of the shooters on here are not very keen on

snapcaps. :unsure:

Is there a reason for this as I thought that if the gun is fired without cartridges in the barrels it could damage the firing pins.

As I said,still new to shooting and hoping to learn from the experienced shooters on this forum.

One more question.If you have a missfire with one of the cartridges,after waiting for 30 seconds to a minute before ejecting the

cartridge what do you do with the cartridge then.All advice welcome. :unsure:

Pete.

Hi everyone.I am quite new to shooting, and have read in quite a lot of posts about how some of the shooters on here are not very keen on

snapcaps. :unsure:

Is there a reason for this as I thought that if the gun is fired without cartridges in the barrels it could damage the firing pins.

As I said,still new to shooting and hoping to learn from the experienced shooters on this forum.

One more question.If you have a missfire with one of the cartridges,after waiting for 30 seconds to a minute before ejecting the

cartridge what do you do with the cartridge then.All advice welcome. :unsure:

Pete.

Hi Pete some people see snap caps as unnecessary and just leave the springs cocked I find they are useful if your dry mounting at home as it allows you to pull the trigger in safety. Some see them as a potential risk it depends on the type of gun you have (O/U, SxS, Semi etc)

I have never had a misfire but seen it happen to people i have been shooting with, pull trigger no bang, wait for 10-30 seconds in case its a slow burning primer, if the cart ejects the pin fired (check for dent in primer as you may have a faulty pin rather than cart) then some break the cart up (empty powder and shot) then bin the case, others push the cart into the dirt (primer up). its important to check the barrels in case it was squib and left wad or similar in the barrel.

:shoot: I have a supersport 2 and i find it to be one of the smoothest auto's to shoot,as for the loading of cartridges being a problem-i found this too,solved the problem by just pushing the cartridge that little bit harder when loading,the supersport is the easiest of semi-auto's to clean and to strip down.all in all one of the best on the market---and as for the chokes coming loose-i use a beretta choke key on mine instead of the benelli flat choke key supplied ///hope this helps----Dave :shoot:

• 1 month later...

After about a month of getting to grips with the Super Sport I can whole heartedly recommend them :good:

After a year of shooting the old 525 I got "stuck" at about a 60% hit rate, with the Benelli I'm now up to around 80% :D Whether it's the gun or I've just got a bit better I'm not sure but the improvement in the last month or so has been quite spectacular.

I've managed to get over the loading / snagging issue but I do find that since I have large hands my thumbs get quite battered pushing the carts in fully.

Had a crack with it at DTL too and it was just too lively so I might take a look at the mag weight and barrel extensions, but for Sporting (which is my main love) it's a dream to shoot with.

• 2 months later...

Just added a bit of Briley goodness to my Supersport after a vist to the US. Bought a 6oz mag cap and replacement cocking lever. To see what difference it made I nipped out today for a quick 60 sporting birds at Northampton Shooting Ground.

Briley Cocking Lever - What can I say, makes no difference at all apart from looking a bit nicer and being easier to remove when you're cleaning the bolt. I don't see the point in it as you really only need to cock the gun once per round.

Briley Weighted Magazine Cap - I think this has made a difference. The gun is still light and very quick but it's added a bit of steadiness to the swing, worth every penny (or Dollar)

On a maintenance note, I've just noticed that one of the pins holding the trigger group in has popped out a couple of mill on one side meaning it needs whacking in again. Anyone recommend a punch that won't damage the pins?

Also looking for a replacement choke key (12g) as the stock Benelli one is cack. Any recommedations?

• 4 months later...

Well I finally got to take my new Benelli Supersport out for a crack today. For those who haven’t seen one they’re a carbon fibre effect semi auto with a brushed nickel receiver, allegedly the competition gun in the Benelli range. Having only held one briefly at Sporting Targets it was a bit of a leap of faith to order one and hope it works out okay especially being a lefty and needing a gun fairly long in the stock. I got a cracking deal from Northampton Gun (which I’d recommend to anyone) and GMK finally got it delivered after a week waiting for the snow to melt…

A quick visit to the coach at Northampton Shooting ground confirmed that it fitted like a glove (with the extra-long LH replacement gel pad) so I was itching to get out and have a pop. A quick warm up on the skeet then two rounds of sporting and here are my findings…

Loading the Supersport threw up a bit of a problem. Not sure if this is common on all autos but quite often a cartridge would get stuck going into the magazine. I use Modenas and it seemed like they were getting hooked up on the brass, maybe it’s just my technique but I’ll try some other carts if it continues.

Although the Benelli packaging says you should only use 32g carts I had no problems at all with the 28g Modena. Not one stoppage or failure to eject. Couldn’t say the same for the Napier Safety Flag, goes in really easy but an absolute pig to get out again due to it getting hooked up on the internals. I think I’ll be looking for a different safe flag, maybe one of those metal ones.

The Supersport is a fast gun. Very quick to mount, get swinging and pull through. I guess this is probably down to its lightweight and the fact that I’ve got the 28” barrel. I did have the odd occasion though when my swing through stopped after the shot. Whether that was due to the lack of weight in the gun I’m not sure but I’ve got my eyes on one of the Briley weighted mag caps if the problem continues.

Actually firing the Supersport is a joy. I’ve not ever worried about recoil and the Benelli Comfortech system makes if virtually non-existent as far as I can tell. It did seem a bit noisier than my old 525 but maybe that’s down to the ported barrels? On that, I’m not sure if porting really makes any difference but I did seem to be able to acquire the second target a bit easier than normal and I’m sure there’s a little less flip too.

The kills I was getting where much cleaner than normal for me too. Several dustings and loads of very fragmented clays suggests that the chokes used in the Benelli throw better patterns than the standard Browning Invectors. The only problem I found with the chokes was that they seemed to come loose rather quickly. Being extended I only hand tightened them but they were needing a pinch after every 6 shots or so.

All in all a cracking gun and a promising start. Really hope I can get over the loading issue but other than that I’d recommend one to anyone. Anyone else pimped their Supersport? Some of the Briley bits look nice but not altogether necessary (like the anodised cocking lever)

I’d be interested to hear about any other owners experiences.

I know this an old post but the reason (which you have probably discovered by now) that sometimes you cant load a cart into the magazine is because you haven't let the bolt slam forward properly.

Just added a bit of Briley goodness to my Supersport after a vist to the US. Bought a 6oz mag cap and replacement cocking lever. To see what difference it made I nipped out today for a quick 60 sporting birds at Northampton Shooting Ground.

Briley Cocking Lever - What can I say, makes no difference at all apart from looking a bit nicer and being easier to remove when you're cleaning the bolt. I don't see the point in it as you really only need to cock the gun once per round.

Briley Weighted Magazine Cap - I think this has made a difference. The gun is still light and very quick but it's added a bit of steadiness to the swing, worth every penny (or Dollar)

On a maintenance note, I've just noticed that one of the pins holding the trigger group in has popped out a couple of mill on one side meaning it needs whacking in again. Anyone recommend a punch that won't damage the pins?

Also looking for a replacement choke key (12g) as the stock Benelli one is cack. Any recommedations?

The Briley choke key is a superb product but you probably know this by now. I have also just taken delivery of

a 6oz mag cap and bolt handle just to give it a bit of bling from http://www.performanceshootinghq.com/speedwrench-forallbrileystandardchokes.aspx.

• 3 months later...

Often wondered what would and wouldn't cycle through the Supersport and today had to try some Eley First 21g Fibres since I picked the wrong slab up on the way out the door. Did a round of 60 sporting and had one jam (the only jam I've ever had) so not too bad, might give some 24g a go to see if they run any better though.

Interestingly I scored higher with 25% less lead in the air than usual. I even managed to hit some 45m midi crossers so they must pattern pretty well too.