Defender Wheel and Tyre Size

Blunderbuss

I've had my Defender 90 for a few weeks now, my first 4 x 4. I'm enjoying getting to know it and tinkering with it - it had a few niggles when I bought it which I'm slowly fixing :blink:

A question about tyre and wheel sizes :hmm: It's currently got big mud terrain type remoulds on with a very aggressive knobbly tread. Whilst I do drive on fields and lanes, I'm not into serious off roading so would like to fit something like Grabbers or BFGs that are capable off the road, but quieter and better mannered on it. It also needs new rims as the current ones are well rusted and are (I think) contributing to a slow leak on one tyre.

The question is what size rims and tyres? The current tyres are 265/75/R17s. I'd like something a bit narrower (they're much wider than the wheel arches) and maybe a little bit lower. Should I get 16 or 17 inch rims, and what tyre size should I be looking at in Grabber AT2s or BFG ATs?

Edited by Blunderbuss

Come down to a 225 or 235 and stick with 16 inch rims.

Your current rims may also have a greater off-set, making the wheels protrude past the arches and subsequently covering the bodywork in ****.

All the best

JF

Cheers Jeff, just edited my original post, current rims are 17 inch not 16s. Think I'll take your advise and drop down to 16s. What profile do you reckon in a 225 or 235?

i have 750x16 tyres on wolf wheel rims (h/duty steels )with goodyear G90 tyres but these tyres are noisey on road and are not the best to balance. a good compromise is a goodyear wrangler tyre i had these on my old 110 hi cap and they did the job of 80% road use and 20% off road .this is only my opinion and i hope this will get the ball rolling and you get others adding there thoughts atb .

hi i would go for 235 85 16 on 7j steel rims, or 265 75 16 on 8j steel rims, they will look right on a defender the first set will give you that bit more ground clearance when off road, its the lack of ground clearance that gets you stuck more than tyre patterns..or if you have disk brakes on the rear of your 90 go for the freestyle alloys they look good on a defender cheers woodypost-20471-0-78524500-1292660575.jpgpost-20471-0-92608200-1292660306.jpg..

Edited by woody4x4

I'd reccomend going for a 235/85 16 . it's a skinny but good common sized tyre, well suited to the defender, still leaves a reasonable steering lock. and the 32" tyres generally give a slightly better gearing for road use. If you are towing a lot, consider the 205 size that was also common fit. not so good off road, but the gearing gives you a bit better torque for heavy towing.