January Sales

KPV4

I'm in the market for a new 12g sporting shot gun to use on clays and in the field. So I'm wondering if any members have had any experience with gun dealers offering discounts during the January Sales, do gun dealers have January Sales :hmm: . I'm seriously considering either a new Beretta Silver Pigeon 1 multichoke (new model) or a new Miroku MK70 multichoke.

I've looked at purchasing second hand privately on several occcasions but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any room for negotiation on the price of the ones I have looked at :no: , it appears at the moment to be a sellers market :hmm: .

So since the prices being asked for second hand at the moment are close to new prices I might as well bite the bullet and buy new, and get all warranties and any all the bits that usually get thrown in with the purchase of a new gun. I don't have a part Ex, it will be a staight cash buy so hopefully that will help a little, especially as there might not be much cash about after Xmas :blink:

I've been quite interested in the Beretta as it comes with a 10 year guarranty, and when I tried one the other week it fit like a glove.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Edited by KPV4

Just bought a silver pigeon 1 30" m/c myself, lovely gun and a very nice price at the moment. with the vat increase coming up in Jan what you might gain if any shops have a sale you could loose with the vat increase.

Unless you are over 6' 2" you may have trouble with the fit of the MK70 as it is a gun more suitable for tall people.

I'm about 25- 30 miles from Lampeter so it maybe worth a trip down between Xmas and New Year, any idea of prices?

Thanks for the heads up on the Miroku. I'm only 5'8" tall, so not being very tall maybe an issue with an MK70. I had a Miroku 6000 TR-1 high rib trap gun until recently, and loved it, fitted nicely, but the MK70 is low rib so could be more of a problem.

I have to be honest I've wanted a Beretta for years but never been able to afford one, but after saving up and selling the Miroku the price of a new one is within my grasp :good:

Just bought a Beretta 686 Silver pigeon 1 30" m/c myself, lovely gun and a very nice price.Purchased mine at the Sportsman Gun Centre for £1.050 they through in for free a shotgun slip £25,a Peltor head set £16.99 and a pair of Eyelevel shooting glasses £9.99.Now I think I had quite a good deal,what do you all think. :good:

Pete.

Edited by fidel

I'm very undecided what to do :blush:

After ringing around this morning and everyone seems to be around the same money £1180 for the new model Silver Pigeon 1 multichoke, I'm undecided whether to spend the extra on a new gun, or wait for the right second hand one to pop up for sale :hmm: I mostly use my rifles and not a shotgun, so is t worth spending the extra £300-£400 on a new gun to sit in the cabinet to be used about 3 times a month :hmm: Yes nice to own a new gun and this is the first time I've have the money to buy one, but is it like buying a new car, the first owner looses the most money due to the VAT etc. If I go for good a second hand one I'll have a few hundred to buy some re-loading gear as well :unsure:

What do you guys think?

See your point on should I or should I not get a new gun. I was not quite in the same position, but found I had a gun that was fixed choke (which was too tightly choked for me) and due to stance improvement would need fitting. I spent a while working out the cost of altering my old gun and could I justify the extra money.

I was looking at other silver pigeons / and perennia's (20 bores) which were like £1500 to £2080 which was proving very hard to justify to myself and the bank balance. As I was leaving I was shown the the SP1 although in 12 bore, it felt beautiful to hold lighter than my sporter's simular weight to the 20 bore and fitted well. The cost differance in carrying out the work to the 20 bore which I only used every now and then (only fired less than 250 cartidges) and trading in for the SP 1 was slight.

I chose the option to trade in, I now don't have to stock 20 bore annd 12 bore cartridges, I now have lovely fitting guns, still a lighter weight gun than the sporters (one that a girl my hold easier (remembering to use 21G cartridges for low recoil), I now have guns to cover all things. :shoot:

I'm very undecided what to do :blush:

After ringing around this morning and everyone seems to be around the same money £1180 for the new model Silver Pigeon 1 multichoke, I'm undecided whether to spend the extra on a new gun, or wait for the right second hand one to pop up for sale :hmm: I mostly use my rifles and not a shotgun, so is t worth spending the extra £300-£400 on a new gun to sit in the cabinet to be used about 3 times a month :hmm: Yes nice to own a new gun and this is the first time I've have the money to buy one, but is it like buying a new car, the first owner looses the most money due to the VAT etc. If I go for good a second hand one I'll have a few hundred to buy some re-loading gear as well :unsure:

What do you guys think?

Shame you don't live around here, I have a mint Beretta 686 Special Sporting m/c that has fired less than a 1000 cartridges in its life in my cabinet doing nothing but growing old that you could have had a look at for quite a bit less than you were preparing to spend.

Second-hand is better VFM and there are plenty of people (who i would agree with) that say the older guns are better built with nicer wood £1000 gets you a lot of secondhand gun, have a check on guntrader etc and go to a few dealers see what they have, while its nice to have a new gun the first time you catch the wood and mark it its not a perfect gun, I drove all over to find mine and you may find a stunner if your prepared to wait for the right one and do the leg work.