Balistic tipped airgun ammunition

Hunter

Well, after reading the idea of putting wax into the heads of hollow point airgun ammo, I have decided to test this. I have made a small batch of Bisley Pest Control pellets, with a wax ballistic tip. (same theory as using a plastic tip on centerfire/HMR bullets)

I will be testing these shortly.

I make them by heating a blob of wax on the pellet lid with a lighter, the push the pellet down onto the melted wax, and slide it off which will make a nice flat head. Heres a batch waiting to be made.

c4eb3105.jpg

Heres a completed one

6e81aa92.jpg

fc33fc8c.jpg

I then had a crazy idea.. what about turning the pellet upside down, and filling it with wax?

I tested this on some wood. The results were pretty crazy and put a grin on my face. The wax's extra weight filling the rear of the pellet make it stable to shoot backwards, and if these work at longer range, say 15m they will provide MASSIVE stopping/expanding power for rat and ferral control. Almost like being hit with a hammer. The idea is that the wax will create enough weight to stable the rear end of the pellet to fire backwards, and the lead rim will expand very rapidly, and largley because it is soft.

Heres some being made.

cb7375fe.jpg

Finished products await testing at the range

A batch of 25 modified front pellets, and 10 rear wax filled pellets.

808a5720.jpg

I will also test the theory and myth of expanding air pellets by cutting a X in the top. At 12ftlb, I dont think anything will happen, so I will test it and put up the results to end a myth spoken by many a new airgunner ;)

Edited by Hunter

I've seen this mentioned before, but I just dont see any real benefit to it, particluarly the back filled pellets. I would be mainly concerened with the ensuing build up of wax in your barrel! ;)

The wax doesnt build up. Tested that.. the lead pellet is such a good fit in the barrel (webley Longow) that the nex pellet cleans out the much of the last.. but no wax leaves the pellet, and they have all be cleaned after wax placement.

The wax is not there to increase the expansion so much.. its there to aid better areodymanics in flight, and aid the pellets to shoot backwards.

Like I said, this is just some honest myth busting, so if it doesnt work, atleast we can learn from it! :)

I've seen this mentioned before, but I just dont see any real benefit to it, particluarly the back filled pellets. I would be mainly concerened with the ensuing build up of wax in your barrel! :lol:

The wax doesnt build up. Tested that.. the lead pellet is such a good fit in the barrel (webley Longow) that the nex pellet cleans out the much of the last.. but no wax leaves the pellet, and they have all be cleaned after wax placement.

The wax is not there to increase the expansion so much.. its there to aid better areodymanics in flight, and aid the pellets to shoot backwards.

Like I said, this is just some honest myth busting, so if it doesnt work, atleast we can learn from it! :P

Fair enough Hunter and if your enjoying yourself then go for it. If it helps to show people its true virtue then, bring it on. ;) Having viewed some of your recent posts it would seem that you are going to offer alot to this forum. :)

I read your post on making your own trigger, if ya want a challenge and somthing to do..... I could use some 30mm Quick Release scope rings for my Quad. I'll even pay. :/ :(

on a completely different note, Sussex Lad, how do you find you AR15? what model is it?

Cheers

Kyle

Kyle,

Have alook at this thread and your find out all about my AR15

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...ic=8037&hl=ar15

If your not to far away we could always meet up if your interested!!

PM me if you you are ;)

I already have a lovley girlfreind :)

I make these things because im interested to prove a myth, or destroy a myth. Im not doing it because Im trying to invent some new ammunition.. its purely my interest that forces me to do this stuff

Axe, thanks for the compliments.. I love doing this stuff, and I know (some) people enjoy reading it.. even if its an experiment doomed to fail, whats wrong with giving it a go ;) infact im tempted to go to the indoor range rite now and test these creations

Axe, I am just ordering a new milling machine, and metal lathe, so keep in touch and il see what I can do for you in a couple of months.

Gibby, are you sure the mercury wasnt ment to be a poisen? because at room temprature mercury is a liquid state and would be pretty usless at improving expanding ammo.. yes.. I know its a film.. but still.

Edited by Hunter

A fulminate of mercury is explosive with regard to mechanical shock. Thats what primers used to be made from initially, that is what is reffered to in the day of the jackal with regard to filling bullets with it to make them expolde on impact. Bust that myth, it might be more interesting.

Ahh of course I forgot that..

Mercury Fulminate is and was used as an impact explosive back in the day they had no clue how toxic the stuff was.. and also the corrosive properties faded out its use from primers.. back in the day, the barrels of rifles had to be 'boiled out' after use by pouring boiling water through a funnel to remove the corrosive mercury ;)

We are lucky our fancy hunting rifles are now safe from that, and some peole never clean the barrel at all.

Thanks!

Heres the next installment of testing ammunition.

The myth?

People say cutting an X into the top of airgun pellets produces a rappid expansion apon impact, for use in hunting. The myth also has it that this X is mearly scratched into the surface, so I have made a batch of a few with cuts at different depths. Some deep, some barely a scratch. I will of course test these on both a hard surface, and soft animal flesh.

project1009.jpg

project1008.jpg

Just to make it interesting, I have also cut slits into hollow point ammo to see if anything happens.

project1011.jpg

And to fill the last 5 ammo slots in the case, I have made 5 rounds with a 7.5 shotgun pellet glued into the hollow of the pellet. I have no idea why.. I just want to see what happens at impact on both steel and flesh.

project1010.jpg

And heres the completed batch of 50 rounds ready for testing.

For each type, I will test them on both animal flesh and steel plate to make a fair test of each. If there really is any improvment, then I will develop the round more. If its all a waste of time in the name of science or myth busting, and that is where it will lay.

project1013.jpg

putting a shotgun pellet in it is an interesting idea, the pellet should push backwards forcing the back of the pellet out, but this may only be suitable for an fac air rifle as the required force may not be able to be provided by 12 ftlbs.

may have a dabble in the mystic art of ballistic ammo myself.

i was wandering if any of you home loaders out there load any cartidges with the bullet the opposite way round as i read an article in shooting times a while ago where this guy used them for hunting.

just wandering

flash

when my dad used to shot pistol he used Wad cutters, which are basically a cylinder. with a slightly hollowed leading end.

apparently they were very accurate over short ranges and were used when he was shooting serious targets to get bigger holes and take advantage of the inward scoring system.

i might try and find one and put a picture up.

beleive it or not, as a kid i actually tried that fulminate in a hollowpoint. i filled the bottom of the pellet with lead (soldered it in) then drilled the hollowpoint deeper. i then filled it with fulminate and capped it with a no5 shot from a shotgun cart. they work excellent against something solid, but didnt work on bunnies ;) ... maybe someone could advance them to be more sensitive.chris