Misfortune transforms into Excellent Day Out

webber

A friend of mine DK Photo has a cottage near Pickering. He had to make best speed up there a couple of days ago as the neighbours reported that both properties had burst pipes. He attended to find a wrecked kitchen and bathroom, and the central heating inoperative due to the electrics being knocked out.

He and I went up there again today to install a large dehumidifier as he was unable to hire one in the locality. We found it difficult in and around St. Helens also, but eventually got fixed up by a company in Crewe.

We set up the unit to drain out via the washing machine drain, and cleared up the remaining debis.

Hunger called, and a short stroll down into Pickering proved fruitful. We visited a few shops to buy DK Phots tea, including a kipper smoked on the premises; I fancied a nice belt in the Orvis shop, but at £65 it stayed put on the peg. The Crusty Cob provided a most excellent pork apple and stuffing balm cake, which we troughed alfresco outside the shop. I've not been to Pickering previously, but will certainly return with the soup dragon in tow, I reckon that she'll like several of the shops.

We made our way home via picturesque Helmsley. A visit to the chippy saw us share a tray of the best chips that I've had in ages. We had a look into an excellent country clothing shop, well kitted out for shooters. I fancied a tweed jacket, but alas my size was not available. I can see the soup dragon also visiting Helmsley. We called into a shop with an extensive array of cheeses, DK Phots bought some of his favourite, and we made our way over to the Swan Hotel for a drink. Half a pint of Black Sheep bitter and a diet coke, black tie waiter service, log fire very civilised.

As darkness started to descend we made our way towards the A1 via Sutton Bank, the state of the barriers proved witness to the problems that motorists had encountered during the most recent snow, some of which was still evident in places.

The journey home was uneventful, all but for a traffic jam when we got back to St. Helens, fortunately, we avoided it by the quick thinking DK, and we used local B roads to complete the journey.

But for DKs misfortune, I may never have visited the area, and missed out on an absolute gem. I shall return.

webber

Edited by webber

HEAR HEAR

Maybe buying a dehumidifier in Crewe rather than St Helens rates as an excellent day out.

I think Rolls Royce motor cars are made in Crewe - if it had been one of those that had been bought, rather than a measly dehumidifier [although they do have their uses] then that would to me be a truly Excellent Day Out!

Come on Mr Webber - tell us all

Just what a Scouser needs to lift his spirits;- a day out in Yorkshire. Hope you left the hubcaps alone :lol:

Now now UKPoacher; one of the worst things that you can do to a St. Helener is call him a scouser.

It does say St. Helens Lancashire on my birth certificate, something that I have always been proud of.

I don't have a problem with scousers, I just don't want to be one.

webber

love the place :good:

own a holiday home 5 nins from pickering on flamingoland, the only downside is i have to leave 2 1/12 months of the year.

great scenery all round and great people to go with it.

Lucky you! There are some lovely grayling in that little river :yes:

Now now children....

The excellent parts were discovering new eateries/shops/pubs all of which can be revisited when more time and better weather allows....

Bloody Irishmen!!.... ;)

shaun

Ah! The problem was that bit of the story wasn't in the post when we replied to it! Now that its been updated I'll keep these places in mind for my next visit over the water!

I'm sure webber can appreciate our confusion!

Hm. It obviously takes very little to confuse small minds.

My mates misfortune turned into a very pleasant day out with minimal work.

Whats confusing about that?

The piece of equipment was obtained from Crewe simply because we couldn't obtain one in St. Helens, Liverpool, Wigan, Widnes, Warrington or Chester.

We found one in Crewe and diverted one of our trucks from Middlewich to collect, simples!

webber

Mrs P and I stayed in the Faversham Arms in Helmsley last June. Like you Webber, I'd never been to that part of the world and was thoroughly impressed.

We had a top weekend with a tour round Rievaulx abbey, a spot of birding at Bempton, (first puffin) and a walk on the moors.

The other thing that impressed was the roads - I'm going back this summer on the Blade :good:

P.

My mates misfortune turned into a very pleasant day out with minimal work.

Whats confusing about that?

The piece of equipment was obtained from Crewe simply because we couldn't obtain one in St. Helens, Liverpool, Wigan, Widnes, Warrington or Chester.

We found one in Crewe and diverted one of our trucks from Middlewich to collect, simples!

webber

The confusing bit was you initially submitted your OP without the bit about shops etc. This is then when woodcock and I submitted our replies. In the meantime you then edited your OP to then include the rest of your story.

I'll ignore your comment about small minds as you obviously made a mistake.

Edited by garymc

Yes, you were missing the remainder of the post.

Mrs webber produced my tea, which required eating.

webber

I knew my simple mind wasn't playing tricks on me! :lol: Anyhooo....it's a good post and as I said already, will definitely keep it in mind for when I am over the water again.

Yes please lets have less of the BLOODY Irishmen - if for some reason Mr Webber cannot get his full post in first time round Mrs Webber coming in with a cracking tea], don't blame us!

Oh yes and to show that we are big hearted, Ireland North & South congratulates ENGLAND on a mega success in the Test Series against Australia. Well done retaining the Ashes and what a result.

Bring on the Rugby!

ps bet none of you English knew that Rolls Royce motor cars were built at Crewe.....

Yes, you were missing the remainder of the post.

Mrs webber produced my tea, which required eating.

webber

Thats ok then :blink: you make half a post then mrs webber comes in with your evening meal you decide to post half of the story and expect everyone to no where its going .

Then you have the cheek to make remarks like this

Mad as a box of frogs :yp:

Thats ok then :blink: you make half a post then mrs webber comes in with your evening meal you decide to post half of the story and expect everyone to no where its going .

Then you have the cheek to make remarks like this

Mad as a box of frogs :yp:

Well ya see the thing is Rob

:good:

Now now UKPoacher; one of the worst things that you can do to a St. Helener is call him a scouser.

It does say St. Helens Lancashire on my birth certificate, something that I have always been proud of.

I don't have a problem with scousers, I just don't want to be one.

webber

Something terribly amiss here.....

A Lancashire man praising Yorkshire :blink: :blink:

Repeat after me - the only good thing that comes out of Yorkshire is the road to Lancashire :good::good::good:

and 'They eats babies in Yorkshire' :o :o

Don