so what would happen ?

Just a "what if" question....

... I have cut open and emptied a 12b cartridge to show my son what's inside, I assume I could fire the primer only to get a small bang if I wanted to ? Is there enough energy in the primer only to do any damage, or even to propel wadding from the gun ?

No intention of trying, just wondered.

I had a large rifle primer that wouldnt go into the primer pocket so I put some safety goggles on and hit it with a hammer,.............. it was loud.

Shot a 12gauge cartridge with my rimfire to see what would happen,hit the primer and that only went phut.

Edited by Redgum

hahahhaha! Good one!, we've all done daft things as kids :lol:

A mate and I were using felled pines as a backstop with our air rifles. Mike fired and the pellet flattened against the super-hard pine core and rebounded, but like a tiny super-fast lead frisbee and neatly slices 1/2 inch line under his left eye!

Lucky or what? An inch higher and he'd have had a trip to the eye hospital :oops:

hey; i have tried this a few times, if you just take the primer and brass off then it will give quite a big bang all things considered, they make very expensive air gun targets :P hence why i don't use them haha and if you leave the powder in but no shot it will blow the powder out and only burn a small percentage. i think holding the brass with the primer in and it going off would cause quite a bit of damage to your hand, nothing too serious but it doesnt half go with a bang :P

hey; i have tried this a few times, if you just take the primer and brass off then it will give quite a big bang all things considered, they make very expensive air gun targets :P

There have been people blinded by the pellet coming back at them, so yes, potentially very expensive...