getting involved

Barney

thanks georgehare and hawkeye for replying,,,

i rele would ike to get into any form of shooing weather it be pigeon, or warterfowling. i do beat on a pheasant shoot, but i would prefare more. i am only in mid teens so do not hold a shot gun license.

if anyone has any people i can contact or websites etc about getting into pigeon shooting or waterfowling i would be very gratefull. :oops::lol::lol:

samkeith, firstly, welcome to the site.

You have a chicken and egg situation here.

What comes first, the shooting or the gun ?

If you are convinced you wish to own and shoot a shotgun, then you have to get a certificate and buy the gun.

Preferably start on clays to learn how to shoot straight and familiarise yourself with the safety aspects of shooting.

Then you try to get some live quarry shooting.

If you are already beating, then there is a good chance that your contacts there might be able to find you some pigeon shooting.

If not, then you have to get on your bike and go knocking on Farmers doors, leaving cards etc., which is what we all have to do.

I don't know if the NPPC covers your area, but that could be an option.

My advice would be, get the gun first. :oops:

• 3 weeks later...

Samkeith,

your very keen, which is good, but, unfortunately if you do not own a gun your going to be limited to what you can do.

Most shooters (pigeon/Wildfowl) guard their shooting rites very passionately, so when questioning people, be aware that without the experience you require to do either sport, the chances of you getting invited out on a shoot will be slim. My advice would be the same as the afore mentioned. Get a gun, if not join your local Shot Gun club and get some experience shooting clays, maybe lessons. That way you'll get the gun handling/safety experience before hand. Once you have the experience you can then progress.

Good luck

XL ;)

Get in with the keeper, offer to help out with things around the shoot.

Try & get yourself a legal limit air rifle, thats probably how most of us start out,

learn to shoot safely with that, then progress to the shotty.

The keeper should be only to happy for you to help out with the squirells, crows, magpies ect this time of year.

Good luck

SS

I highly reccomend starting your shooting future by firstly, subscribe to a good shoting magazine, and read each copy cover to cover and learn all the little bits you can. The law, safety tips, latest kit, adverts, readers stories.. everything. Also search on the intenet about things. What you need to do as stated above is you either need a chiken or an egg.. if you want the egg.. you will have to learn a lot, learn how people do things. They have made the mistakes, you can learn from them.

If you want the chicken, start with a small not so dangerous one so you can get the hang of things without anyone being hurt. Get yourself an airgun, and just pop away at some safe targets in a feild or forset that somone will give you permision to shoot on.

I would say join a club, but to be tottaly honest, all the clubs I have spendt time in are full of strick hole punchers (people who spent hours and hours target shooting, then go home). This is very good for learning safety, learning how to look after a gun, (the chicken) and getting ready for the feild, but you wont learn much about hunting unless a few of the members are hunters.. just one hunter in the club is not good enough as you may get only one persons veiw. You need to see more..

Once you know the laws, and have some sense as to how to construct a safe shooting area, theres not much to say, as you will learn very quickly once you get into it..

By far I recmommend magazines as one of the best ways to learn about country sport.

• 3 weeks later...