FUD

tolley

I looked at these in a gunshop the other day and they are a gimmick. In my opinion how can they look like a pigeon stitting on the ground?

They do not have the body shape of a pigeon, so unless the pigeon is plying in at the same height as the decoy it won't look like a pigeon.

And how often do they do that?

I have them and they do work, I was a bit worried about what they look like from above but they seem to work very well, if not better than shells. I have kept the shells and a couple of full bodies but haven't5 felt the need to use them since getting the FUDs.

They do have down-sides ie, they are heavier and darker than shells, don't move and they have short 'legs' but they take up less room, work well, sit on the ground or up trees, can change posture easily and don't get chipped or damaged easily.

One of my permissions isn't growing rape this year and another only has a couple of well shot fields of rape so I don't have much chance of getting out at the moment, but when I do the very gun-shy birds drop into my pattern very well.

I looked at these in a gunshop the other day and they are a gimmick. In my opinion how can they look like a pigeon stitting on the ground?

They do not have the body shape of a pigeon, so unless the pigeon is plying in at the same height as the decoy it won't look like a pigeon.

And how often do they do that?

I can only go by experience, and I've sat and watched pigeons landing amongst the FUDs, and walking around amongst them quite happily.

Until I blast them.

I can only go by experience, and I've sat and watched pigeons landing amongst the FUDs, and walking around amongst them quite happily.

Until I blast them.

When I first got mine I painted the white bits with uv paint , placed them out, set up hide with Airgun sat and watched the pigeons landing and walking about ,so I like them alot.

My shooting buddy has some.

Yes they do work :yes: . . . . . . . . . . . . as do shells, full body decoys, silo socks, flexicoys and most other decoys that are available.

I have had/used all of the above mentioned decoys many times, and from my own experiences, I have had best results using flock coated shells on spring sticks (seconded to dead birds)

I have now sold/given away all my other decoys and have settled with the good old shells :good:

• 3 weeks later...

FUD's are definitely DUD's they're just americano gimickery with the sellers after your funds, same applies to all those other electrickery gizmos!!

Use dead birds u can't beat em.

If poss try and preserve at least one dead bird from ur previous outing and place it onto a bumstick.***

Find where the birds are or have been feeding, watch it for an hour or so, check routes into field and with that knowledge pitch up near, set out ur bumstick and use the birds u shoot as decoys. If ur lucky u will get more shots than an average punter on any UK driven pheasant day!!

*** check out new topic 'floaters/bouncers' - otherwise known as 'bumsticks'

Edited by Hairofthedog

Why would fuds not work? You can decoy pigeons with the most primitive looking and **** decoys, so why would pigeons not come into a realistic looking decoy? All the talk of pigeons just flying from above is nonsense. A bird flying at even 30 yards up would see the decoys from side on. When do birds just appear above a field, they do have to fly to get there!

The same is true for goose silhouette decoys - they pull birds in.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i can tell you the fuds are brilliant specially on regular shot at birds :good: i have took my time before buying them i have watched my mate taking the **** out of me with is fuds every time we go shooting :lol: we have had whole flocks landing straight in they also pull birds in from afar last week we watched some turn of their flight line across the field and my mate dropped a left and right :good: easy to carry easy to set up quickly :good:

i prefer my good old shells

some days they work well other days they dont...thats just the way decoying pigeons is

any of the decoys on the market will work (some days..but not all)

go for the cheapest

the extra pennys will be well spent on cartridges :good: