Clay Shooting Classic 2011

Nicky T

So details of the 2011 Clay Shooting Classic have now been released:

Date:

Wednesday 8th - Saturday 11th June (8th is Services day)

EJ Churchill Shooting Ground :good:

Format:

150 targets over two 75 target layouts to be shot in one day. £79 entry. Choice of two different start times on each day.

So who's planning on shooting it this year? I shot on the same squad as Auntie last year and am planning on booking in on the Saturday again :yes:

Edited by Nicky T

So details of the 2011 Clay Shooting Classic have now been released:

Date:

Wednesday 8th - Saturday 11th June (8th is Services day)

EJ Churchill Shooting Ground :good:

Format:

150 targets over two 75 target layouts to be shot in one day. £79 entry. Choice of two different start times on each day.

So who's planning on shooting it this year? I shot on the same squad as Auntie last year and am planning on booking in on the Saturday again :yes:

I expect I'll do it. I thought they always held it on greenfield sites that didn't normally have clay shooting :hmm:

Edited by Chard

I expect I'll do it. I thought they always held it on greenfield sites that didn't normally have clay shooting :hmm:

Apparently this is a 3-year deal that they have with EJ Churchill. I think that one of the layouts this year is going to be on a piece of previously unshot ground :yes:

They held it there a few years ago and that was not on the normal layouts. Easy ground to get to on the M40. I think I will shoot it on the saturday Nicky, what day are you shooting the essex masters on

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well the Clay Shooting Classic has started and the Services day was today, with self scoring and self buttoning. So here's my opinion of the course etc.

Car parking is at E J Churchill's normal entrance but diverted off to a field before you reach the clubhouse. Road is O.K. and shouldn't have and mud problems. Assemble at the clubhouse around 45mins before you start as there are tractor/trailers to get you to the greenfield site, north of the M40. The drive is O.K. to the Red and Blue course, although somewhat dodgy from Churchill's entrance to the greenfield entrance. We almost got hit by a taxi that wanted to undertake our BF Farm Tractor pulling a 20ft trailer as we tried to turn left!

Red course is in and out of the trees with three stands over a valley. Usual Clay Classic 14 stands, with one stand of three different traps, full use. Courses this year are varied with only a few 'rangy' targets and a lot of white clays (which break really pretty!). From stand 14 back to stand 1 there are small 'buggies' that will take a squad in one go. Not hugely difficult.

Blue course is similar, but half is over the wheat fields and the back half in the woods. Again fairly normal clays with just a few rangy. Blue seemed about 5 clays easier than Red. Blue is also more muddy than Red and needs more straw putting down and shooters need boots. Any more rain and it will be a challenge to walk down the tracks on the Blue course.

Tips for the courses: Watch the clays carefully when you get to see them. Sometimes the easiest places to kill the clays are not the most obvious. I had one teal that was so easy, but you had to let it come right back to you. Do enjoy the two middies on about Blue stand 6 or 7, again pick your spot to break them.

All in all a nice 'happy' shoot. I think there is a 145-148 in the course ex 150 and I went in expecting about 70% and ended up pretty spot on that percentage.

Hope anyone going there has a good time and posts their thoughts.

Bob M

Edited by smallbore

I shot it yesterday and enjoyed it. I was on the Blue course in the morning & Red in the afternoon. Some of the high clays in the afternoon sun were shoot & hope but apart from that it was nothing impossible. As Bob M says there were plenty of buggies to transport the squads so not too much hanging around. Good luck to anybody shooting over the weekend I hope you win yourself a nice watch! ;)

Hi

A few pics of squad 165 at the classic

Sebs PW validation not yet active and I did say they would go on tonight

With some cropping there some good photos up close.

Seb watching Dad and how not to do it

_MG_8127.jpg

Nick picking up a few tips from Percy Posh Paws

_MG_8130.jpg

NickT getting ready

_MG_8134.jpg

NickT on line cleaned the stand with Auntie watching on

_MG_8135.jpg

Auntie loading up

_MG_8137.jpg

Auntie at it

_MG_8138.jpg

any of you guys remember that long crosser Percy Posh Paws after it

_MG_8125.jpg

Here we go again watching Percy Posh Paws for tips

_MG_8124.jpg

_MG_8122.jpg

Thanks one of my better stands.

_MG_8186.jpg

Spennymore the day after the classic and Percy checking the marker is ready.

Aunie Paulos, Myself.

_MG_8195.jpg

There are some more but the server as gone down I bet you guys are say good!!

Phil