Do you know what a 1000yds looks like

Kenyan

yes we always make clients shoot first to show us if they can shoot we have a range set up in the forestry that we use for the keepers its has 1.2 and 300 yard targets i only ask clients to shoot 100 yards normaly because were roe stalking and the need for a long shot is a rare one,however the young man got a clover leaf group at 100 and asked if he could take a couple of shots at the longer targets. the two roe bucks in question would have been very hard to stalk closer to but not impossible, he liked the idear of a long shot and i knew he could do it, so he did bang deer dead. and yes i have had germans, and americans shooting deer trotting off the sticks despite me telling then to wait untill the beast was standing, they can get a bit trigger happy

I limit myself to 250 yards on live quarry. I do sometimes shoot fruit and balloons to longer ranges - up to 600 yards or so, but I'm not good enough at that range to even consider a live quarry shot.

I want what I hit to die and if it doesn't I want to be able to follow it up relatively easily. At these ranges if you hit a runner you're screwed!

I have just joined "the range officers assoc" rifle club and had my first go at long range shooting yesterday at the thetford gallery range, I opted not to shoot at 100yds as i knew my rifle was spot on at 100m after a zero session at kynamco's range a couple of weeks back, shooting at 200yds was straight forward and that is how far i limit my live quarry shooting to, even though i did post that i had shot a fox a good bit further but that was poor range estimation not quarry sniping, at 300yds the target did seem quite small but after i had found the right hold over i could group in and around the 4"Ø v bull but not well enough to want to shoot a deer at that distance, whan we moved back to 600yds the targets seemed tiny but after i had estimated the 88inch drop and had a couple of sighters to alter my hold over i did manage to hit the 24"Ø target with every shot after that much to my amazement. I cant wait til next week to have another go at great carr, I also met a PW member who was on his first outing with the club aswell, he shot very well with his 308, well done andy.

there is a meet at barton rd in a fortnight where some of the guys shoot to 1000 and 1200yds but i will stick to 600 with my 243, i dont think there will be enough clicks on my scope and its too much drop to estimate, what fun target shooting is i cant wait to go again, bank account watch out

mikee

One of the ranges I shoot at (Barton Road) will go out to 1200 yards, but the furthest I have shot on it was 200m with a 44mag lever action rifle and iron sights. I managed to hit a 12" target three times with it. Not good shooting, but I was happy given the sights, the wind and the fact that I was standing.

The furthest I have shot ever was 300m in the now famous .17HMR trials that Pav, Zapp and I did a couple of years ago. Given that we were shooting at rabbit size targets with an orange border, I could not even see them without a scope, and we had one hit out of thirty shots between us, and that was Pav (lucky shot). There is no way in hell that I would shoot live quarry at that distance with a .17, so I keep it to 100m or less (with the .22, well less).

One of the ranges I shoot at (Barton Road) will go out to 1200 yards, but the furthest I have shot on it was 200m with a 44mag lever action rifle and iron sights. I managed to hit a 12" target three times with it. Not good shooting, but I was happy given the sights, the wind and the fact that I was standing.

The furthest I have shot ever was 300m in the now famous .17HMR trials that Pav, Zapp and I did a couple of years ago. Given that we were shooting at rabbit size targets with an orange border, I could not even see them without a scope, and we had one hit out of thirty shots between us, and that was Pav (lucky shot). There is no way in hell that I would shoot live quarry at that distance with a .17, so I keep it to 100m or less (with the .22, well less).

The test you mention above was fantastic...and i think alot of the self abusers were hushed by it as if i remember rightly it was done with pics and 3 members present so there was no arguing, if only we could get this done with a few other calibers.....

I'd love to walk down an unknown field and say "shoot that Roe kill zone sized target" with some of the people who post on here, shooting at a 400-600 yard paper target and having 5-10 shots to "zero" into the bull is all fine and well but when it's a roe deer/fox usually there is one chance and i just don't believe it's a regular thing, as some have said you are aiming at a "fox" at that range instead of a part of a fox...

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

I target shoot with a .308 with aperture sights out to 1000 yards, I know of a few people who shoot it with a 1.5X magnification eagle eye in their foresight (I think that's the maximum magnification allowed for TR?) but most of us shoot it with no magnification. It's always a satisfying one to shoot if you get the wind right.

I agree it's not a bad 'scope, but it isn't the right 'scope for the job.

I guess a 25mag scope would be used but i still reckon the long ranging on live quarry is a bit of a silly thing to do...

i know everyone is different but i find the rush is getting up close to a live target and sitting watching it for a minute until it's in the perfe....BANG!!! :lol:;)

i know everyone is different but i find the rush is getting up close to a live target and sitting watching it for a minute until it's in the perfe....BANG!!! :lol:;)

I absolutely agree Gixer :good:

But..... if you have a job to do, and it is not possible to get within, say 300yards, then having the correct kit,

the correct knowledge, and the experience derived from many hours of testing on inanimate targets, the shot can

comfortably be taken.

well, on a 4-16 x 50 Habicht i would still say at 400 yards you are looking at a fox, not part of a fox! and that's not bad glass...

Regards,

Gixer

gixer1 Posted Today, 04:13 PM

I guess a 25mag scope would be used but i still reckon the long ranging on live quarry is a bit of a silly thing to do...

i know everyone is different but i find the rush is getting up close to a live target and sitting watching it for a minute until it's in the perfe....BANG!!!

I absolutely agree Gixer :good:

But..... if you have a job to do, and it is not possible to get within, say 300yards, then having the correct kit,

the correct knowledge, and the experience derived from many hours of testing on inanimate targets, the shot can

comfortably be taken.

This one could go on all day, and the only right answer for anyone is what they are happy with. :good:

I have shot very few things live over 300 yards, but target shoot out to 600 on a regular basis.

Out to 200 yards I don't often go above 6x mag, out to 600 yards I usually use 12x. Field or Target I use the same rifles, scopes and ammo. It isn't all about magnification, and actually I hate VERY big magnification as you can probably tell, it's about glass quality, light gathering, and reticle type, you would not even be able to see a fox behind some reticles at 600yards!

I never aim "AT a Fox", I aim where I want the shot to go. You do not need 25x magnification to do that, even at 600 yards, but if that works for you then fine!!

ATB!!

Edited by Dekers

And of course most deer present themselves when the lights not at its best so 6x is possibly the best mag at this time of day. I use 6 to 7x most of the time due to the time of day I locate my live targets, when its strong sunlight or I'm punching paper with a new load I screw the scope up to 14x (max) but hardly ever get the chance to use it on deer due to low light and field of view.

but hardly ever get the chance to use it on deer due to low light and field of view.

And therein lies the problem.

I stalked up on a roe doe a couple of weeks ago, I sat down with the sticks nice and steady, but there looked like there was the top line of a wire fence bang in line with where I wanted to shoot. I zoomed the scope up to about 14x just to confirm and there was, so I sat and waited for her to move, and waited, and waited....

I had spent so long waiting (about 20 minutes in total) and on so much zoom, not only had my right eye started to ache, my filed of view was so restricted I hadn't noticed another doe that had arrived about 10 feet to her left. I only saw here as I used my binos to give my eye a bit of a rest.

I ended up shooting the left hand one as I was at on my leg and it had gone to sleep 10 minutes earlier :lol: