Buying a shotgun as an investment

suth82

Hello folks,

My father is currently looking to purchase a shotgun to keep as an investment to pass onto future generations, he has about £5k to spend but may push the budget for the right gun. Can anyone provide a recommendation for that kind of price, it may be Over & Under or Side by Side but would probably prefer a sidelock and in 12g.

We have been considering a Berretta SO3, can anyone provide information on this gun?

Not sure how I would go, first thought was english sidelock sxs, but thats thinking how they have appreciated in the past. But with over and unders becoming increasingly popular would the money still be there for a sxs in 20-25 yrs time if the trend for o/u's continues?

Might be tempted to go for an SO beretta or a belgian handmade browning. Whichever way, sxs or o/u, as an investment you need to find a sleeper that has done very little and make sure it is stored well.

Fuzrat

I had a 1973 Browning B2 that I sold for the going rate of £1300 twenty years ago. Today you'd be hard pressed to find one for double that. Very few guns have I regretted selling, but this is one of them - if only I knew then, what I know now :/

How about this for an investment !

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/147872-scottish-damascus-boxlock/page__p__1258625__fromsearch__1#entry1258625

Stunning looking gun, the pictures do it No justice at all, just back from the the proof house after a Major Bosher Restoration job

Wb

Guns are usually worth what you paid for them, very few appreciate.

I have an AYA number 2, paid about £450 for it in 1978, fired maybe 3000 through it over the years, that will be worth a bit now as new ones are 5k or so. But once you have taken inflation into account has it made anything?, not really.

A

Before investing a lot of money in an old English 12 bore gun you might want to consider what is happening in the larger shooting world.

If, at some point in the future lead shot is banned, you dads thin barrelled and short chambered Purdey will become valueless overnight.

A more recent example of a gun capable of handling non toxic shot by a modern European maker might be a more sensible and practicle investment.

The type of gun currently showing the greatest return on initial investment are classic English big bore guns, especially in 8 and 4 bore.

The type of gun currently showing the greatest return on initial investment are classic English big bore guns, especially in 8 and 4 bore.

An interesting thread this. £5k is a very nice amount of money which should, with care, get you a lovely gun of quality. Whether it increases in value is open to debate and demand/quality dependant, but it should retain its value - as well as, perhaps most importantly, providing years of incredible enjoyment and pride in ownership if cared for. As regards the big bore market, I have followed it very closely for the last four years, and values have certainly gone through the roof compared to where we were 10 yrs back. However, prices of late have stabilised, and several recent auctions have seen poor/moderate quality double-8's not sell. Quality however continues to sell - look to £7-8k+ for a good quality, English double 8 from a good maker. If you can find a good double-4, put £25k aside!

For your search, I recommend a call or note into Diggory Hadoke who can be found online at Atkin, Grant and Lang. Dig has helped me locate a couple of guns which I now use regularly and the youngest of which is 135 years young! His experience is very considerable, and he will help with finding a gun which won't be a dog, especially if an auction purchase is considered. For the amount of money you are considering, it could be an expensive mistake rushing into things.

As regards a choice of investment, the market for English s/s boxlocks at the moment is underrated. £2k gets you an astoundingly good quality gun and would arguably represent a better bet than a cheap, poor quality sidelock for £3/4k which is being purchased only because it is a sidelock. As regards bore size, 16 and 20 bores are generally more expensive than 12's because there are fewer of them. Although it may be tempting to purchase a Purdey if you can find one for that price, chances are that its quality won't be that great. Better would be to consider a lesser known "name" but a gun which exudes quality and originality. There are plenty out there if you look carefully and a viewing online of Holts or Gavin Gardiners recent auctions will help guide you what you could get for your money. Also worth considering - a (very) good quality hammergun, a market which has steadily risen year on year. Hammerguns are virtually never made nowadays, and there are some stunning examples out there (Damascus barrels, french walnut, rebounding hammers, profuse engraving) well within your price range and by makers of best quality.

Best of luck in your search - could be enormous fun!

Guns are usually worth what you paid for them, very few appreciate.

I have an AYA number 2, paid about £450 for it in 1978, fired maybe 3000 through it over the years, that will be worth a bit now as new ones are 5k or so. But once you have taken inflation into account has it made anything?, not really.

A

If you put £450 in a bank account in 1978 would it be worth more than your gun is now?