Close fast targets, especially rabbits

gwb

guys Im looking for some tips on shooting very close and fast targets sometimes with small windows of opportunity.

Rabbits especially, I am trying not to shoot over the top but I think I may be be rushing my swing. My scores are suffering because of this.

Any tips on how you shoot these :good:

I bet you're over-leading them.

Because they look fast, a lot of people give them shedloads of lead, whereas they're often so close that they don't need any, just shoot at the front edge.

You almost invariably have more time than you think as well, so you need to try and slow down if you're rushing the swing :good:

Rabbits, shoot at there feet - the base of the clay and use at least a 7 1/2's thru 1/4 choke on close stuff - Rabbit clays are really tuff so need a good whack to break

The only time you would shoot at the top of a rabbit would be if it's going straight away from you, from between your legs if you can imagine that, so all you can see is the edge of the clay, that way the clay runs into the shot

In the summer when the ground is dryer you should be able to see were your missing as the shot will throw up some dust, but as Chard says they don't tend to need a lot of lead, if you can wait for them to slow right down..

You are probably mounting your gun too close to the point of release, which usually makes you swing very fast to overtake the target. Thrashing the gun through at high speed loses some control making consistency difficult.

Try holding your gun half way between picking up point and where you want to kill it, in this way you will have a much more controlled swing.

Thanks all

I shoot gun down

the targets are very close starting about 20ft away and moving rapid

I believe I was rushing as there seemed to be no control in my swing and I couldnt see a lead picture

at that range im not sure how much lead, im sure I would have to give it some because of the speed

in hindsight i may be shooting over the top and worried that its going to beat me

i was heading for a 40 out of 50 until this particular stand and shot a 2 :no:

Just a general observation for those who struggle with rabbits. If when you shoot, the clay appears to be surounded by dust, muck, **** and fag ends thrown up by the shot then you are in front of it and need to cut back the lead. If there is none then you are too high.

Cheers Boondock Bidwell

Rabbits, shoot at there feet - the base of the clay and use at least a 7 1/2's thru 1/4 choke on close stuff - Rabbit clays are really tuff so need a good whack to break

Word. We saw one the other weekend that had 3 shot holes though it but was unbroken :oops:

Def shoot slightly below the ******* and cross your fingers it doen't bounce up :angry: Still a fun target to shoot.

I recently read Breaking Clays by Chris Batha - who suggested shooting at the ground 'just in front' of a rabbit... based on two things:

1. A good proportion of your shot pattern is above center

2. A fair amount of shot can bounce off hard/frozen ground to increase your chances

Not sure it's helped my poor scores much :-) but might be worth trying.

MattR

Thanks all

I shoot gun down

the targets are very close starting about 20ft away and moving rapid

I believe I was rushing as there seemed to be no control in my swing and I couldnt see a lead picture

at that range im not sure how much lead, im sure I would have to give it some because of the speed

in hindsight i may be shooting over the top and worried that its going to beat me

i was heading for a 40 out of 50 until this particular stand and shot a 2 :no:

I think that you can make things simple for yourself here in that what you need to do is dependant on how the rabbit is presented:

- If quartering away; shoot at the back edge of it

- If crossing; you will need to shoot infront of it, at ground level. Personally I use maintained lead on this type of presentation.

The best advice IMO is to get out there and practise some, trying different methods and varying your forward allowance accordingly until you feel comfortable with Rabbits at various distances. Good luck!