Favourite line ?

badger.22cal

Shimano Technium in 15lb, tough as old boots but a bit pricey and not the easiest stuff to get hold of anymore. I think its the perfect crossover between braid and mono.

I have been using this for most of my pike & carp fishing for the last 10+ years as i had it on a demo when i worked in a tackle shop and can honestly say it has never let me down. :good:

Depends really, on my Zander jigging rods and light spinning rods its 20lb Whiplash just cos theres not much thinner out there. That said Im going to change on the light casting rods to 20lb power pro as Im just getting so annoyed with wind knots on the whiplash.

Medium plugging rods its 45lb Fireline, if you snag up a lure with this it normally comes back with a hard tug (be very careful doing this though. A mate recently ended up with a 2oz jig stuck in his forehead where it came flying back, he wasnt wearing his polarising glasses either so was lucky not to lose an eye.)

The bait rods have 35lb fireline on and it really is good stuff, especially after a few months once its softend up.

I dont do any jerkbaiting but if I did it would be with 80 or 100lb fireline.

Theres some great prices for braid now and given it dosent stretch, lasts ages and is generally pretty user friendly its my only choice for piking. It enables you to get the action needed into lures, really lets you feel the fish scrap, lets you get your tackle back from a snag with just a bent hook and dosent degrade in sunlight.

Whiplash is a nightmare for windknots! It was the first braid I ever used, and having learned to cast well enough to avoid the knots, I reckon I could cope with anything! On a fixed spool reel I did find it paid to slightly underfill with Whiplash, but was so pleased when I discovered Powerpro, and such problems more or less vanished.

Whiplash is a nightmare for windknots! It was the first braid I ever used, and having learned to cast well enough to avoid the knots, I reckon I could cope with anything! On a fixed spool reel I did find it paid to slightly underfill with Whiplash, but was so pleased when I discovered Powerpro, and such problems more or less vanished.

Its great on the jigging rods where your just droping over the side of the boat with a light jig for Zander, but as you say for casting its a bit too thin IMHO. Everyone rates Power Pro but ive yet to try it. Think a change is in order for summer.

With Mono I always used to use Berkley Big Game in 15lb, but it is quite thick and I reckon it actually breaks at about 18-20lb. The only dislike I had with it is it seemed to have more memory than most. Sensor is pretty good as well, but once youve youve used braid for Pike, you wont go back to mono! For most piking I reckon its pretty much unbeatable in performance.

Hiya,

Not done any Piking for years but when I did it was almost always in heavily weeded areas so I used 16lb Berkly big game. However when braid came on the scene I moved on to that in 25lb bs. If I was to go back to it my line of choice now would be Power Pro braid in 28lb as it cuts through weed like a hot knife through butter :)

Hiya,

Not done any Piking for years but when I did it was almost always in heavily weeded areas so I used 16lb Berkly big game. However when braid came on the scene I moved on to that in 25lb bs. If I was to go back to it my line of choice now would be Power Pro braid in 28lb as it cuts through weed like a hot knife through butter :)

If memory serves from WSF your a Skate man arnt you Davy? Did a pretty epic rebuild on the boat as well I think?

If so, fair play on both counts!

• 2 weeks later...