New gun

Not exactly "New Pigeon Shooting Gear", but I am thinking of getting a new gun.

I,m quite happy with my Beretta Silver Pigeon for "rough" shooting, but my William Sanders sbs, game gun, is getting close to retirement.

Despite popular belief, I do not own any Purdeys, Churchills or the like. :<

Can anyone recommend from experience, a make/model for me to look at, it must be 12 bore, sbs, 28" barrels.

Priced within sensible limits.

Cranfield had anyone else posted that question, I am sure you would have been the first to answer by asking what sort of budget are you looking at.

As we all know, guns are like any other product such as cars etc and the prices vary considerably depending on what level of luxury you want. :lol:

i have a lovely baikel here that i will be sorry to see go but for 2 grand........well go on then, seeing as its you :/:lol::lol: i didnt tink about te silver hawk,they have had some good reviews,i think i have an old sporting gun with a review on them here,if you want a look let me know and i'll scan it in :lol:

nttf, its an old gun and I don,t really want to mess with the original bits.

I would prefer to "retire" it, than "clone" it. :lol:

I will have to try before I buy, but I wanted some ideas on what to look for.

All too often, its a case of buying what your local shop has in stock.

I will definitely find a Beretta Silver Hawk and see what AYA,s are about, to try.

Cranfield,

i also shoot with a sbs when rough shooting but on pheasantpartidge syndicate days or clays i shoot with an o/u to increase my chances of hitting something.

I purchased a 1943 galyon box lock ejector just before christmas in fantastic condition and paid just under a grand. I am sure you already know that english shotguns made around this period are some of the finest you will find and thats why i would spend my money on something a bit special rather than massed produced newer guns and you would see some change out of your £2000.

However the AYA and Baretta you have been looking at are very nice guns.

YP - It's really down to the workmanship, feel, appearance and individuality. Decoration also plays a large part.

There's nothing that clever about the actual workings of a shotgun - they are actually very simple compared to rifles.

Crapshot - if you say you use an o/u to improve your chances of hitting something, then this sounds like your sbs could do with having the stock altered to fit you.

Cranfield - Sleeving starts at approx £700. Sleeved guns are not worth anywhere near as much as originals. I would question whether this is worth doing.

A fine english sbs will be a good investment if looked after. A modern factory made gun will soon depreciate.