Decoys on rape

pigeon predator

Hi guys!

I'm new on here and fairly new to pigeon shooting, my dilemma is decoying on rape, I've tried varied patterns, horseshoe, J, with and without rotary and the birds either fly straight over my pattern as if they don't see them or something doesn't look right to them. I'm using 20 odd flocked decoys on spring sticks and Chris green type hangers so there's plenty of movement. Can anyone give me any help, tips or patterns etc that may help as to what's wrong with my setup, however small or obvious you may think it may be, as i said I'm fairly new to this game with limited experience.

Lookin forward to your posts :-)

I don't bother with static deeks now on Winter Rape, I only use a rotary, then use the dead birds to beef up the pattern in a "V" shape with a "kill zone" ideally directly in front of me about 20 -30 yards out.

My rotary has long arms and a fast spin speed. If you have access to 2 rotary's, then put them out, the more movement the better.

You need to recce the field the day before to find out whereabouts the birds are feeding, it's no good just plonking yourself down wherever it suits you, hoping the birds will come in, 'cos generally speaking, they won't.

Cat.

Thanks cat, good advice mate :-)

I've recee'd the field on numerous occasions and have set up whereabouts they have been feeding, can't get right on the spot cos of the road but I'm only another 40yds or so up the hedge so would have thought I'd have been able go grab there attention so to speak, I'm still on the flightline too which is the most puzzling aspect of it

I'm using camo face vail mate and keep still as long as possible before takin a shot at the occasional bird that does come in, I know the value of keeping still thru all the roost shooting I've done with air rifles. Personally i think it's somethin to do with my pattern as most birds just seem to not notice them or they can tell it's decoys if theyve been shot at before, it's puzzling

Are you leaving room for them to even think about landing,if not they will just over fly your pattern,make sure there is no rotary/bouncers etc blocking the runway so to speak,ie put them to one side and keep a space at the back of the pattern as this is where they will want to land and if your 20 yrds or so further back along the pattern you should be getting shots even if they spook at the last minute.

Dont look for birds on the ground look for them in the air,find the flight line and get under it on the last field you have permission to shoot on,having said all that this time of year is hard to decoy and find decent flight lines,its better with snow on the ground or at harvest/drilling :yes:

Make sure you have done a reccy or two and set up according to the flight lines.

recently i've had the lot out,hide,30 flocked deeks,6 fuds,a rotary with hypaflaps ...all the stuff,without a result,today I couldn't bring it all out,(in a hire car while mine being fixed) so walked out with 6 fuds and me standing still by the hedge.a fields directly oppisite me had hundreds flocking in from the woods,i can't get near that field,anywayI stood there for about an hour and lots came in,i was using the new hushpower I got so I was getting used to it(missed too many),but a better day with just 6 Fuds,go figure :hmm:

If you can get away with it, try leaving the field alone for 3 weeks or so.The flocks will start breaking up soon making it much easier to decoy them. Also if the birds feel settled and safe on your field through being left undisturbed, they will be far more compliant.

I have a lot of rape to shoot over this year but despite there being hundreds on some fields at the moment, i'm leaving them. Not too much point killing only a handful of birds each week. Better to wait then hit them hard.

I have had good success by putting decoys on 18"-24" long canes I am not sure that pigeons can see decoys to well against rape if the decoys are to low, they do look strange from the hide but most pigeons are looking from higher up so they see them from a different angle, had 217 pigeons on the rape fields we shoot on at the weekend using this ploy. flocks are starting to break up with the mild weather and strong winds in our area, spring drilling's starting to go in and cover crops being chopped, roll on Saturday ! :good:

I have had good success by putting decoys on 18"-24" long canes I am not sure that pigeons can see decoys to well against rape if the decoys are to low, they do look strange from the hide but most pigeons are looking from higher up so they see them from a different angle, had 217 pigeons on the rape fields we shoot on at the weekend using this ploy. flocks are starting to break up with the mild weather and strong winds in our area, spring drilling's starting to go in and cover crops being chopped, roll on Saturday ! :good: