The winds howling I off to the woods

Just back from the first impromptu roost shoot of the year. Prospects did not appear good at 2pm but by 2:30 we had a good force 6-7 from a westerly direction. Phone calls all round and we were off to favourite pigeon alley, a block of 20 year old sitka spruce backing on a deep dene with mature hardwoods and softwoods. Kevin elected for his favourite corner - I to mine with pigeon soon heading in to roost, despite the half gale these birds were cruising through the shelter of the dene before flipping up into the sitkas. Seven shots and not a bird down, blooming difficult this after those lumbering cock pheasants, but at last started to make contact often missing the easy shots and hitting the screamers. The trouble with shooting beside a steep dene is any bird that falls means a streneous retrieve, of course it is allways the wounded birds which fall furthest, my 6 or 7 times up and down there I am sure dispersed the last of the Festive belly. Final personal tally was 24 picked and 2 in the trees for between 50 and sixty shots, Kevin having 30 for around 80 shots. A truly exciting barrel warming flight just hoping there are as many birds when the first of our Club charity shoots takes place tomorrow. Praying for another gale or at least a half one.

Blackpowder

i invited someone off this forum to come and have a go

his first time roosting

plenty of pigeons coming in like missiles, we managed a few good shots but missed alot more :oops:

was impressed with MirokuDaves first shot with my hatsan bringing down a woody at the end of the evening

ended up with 8 woodpigeons and 3 ferals, another 2 woodpigeons lost in woods

thoroughly enjoyed myself and cant wait for tomorrows roost shoot

out today myself, tried a bit of decoying on the rape but nothing moving at all on my bit. packed it in about lunchtime and went down in a nice sheltered spinney I thought would be a lot warmer and less breezy for them. A few coming in but they seemed to be sitting pretty still all day. The 3 I did shoot had nothing at all in their crops and real skinny

Fuzrat

Finshed with 23 hard work but out of the decoying tommorrow and then roosting again the birds in our area keep shifting roosting woods for night to night at the moment.

I would say it was too windy for productive shooting decoying and even roosting.

A couple of trees came down bring my time in woods .

Keep you boys updated OTH

i had arranged with my dad and our mate to do a bit of shooting on the maize and then onto the woods for a bit of roosting. Unfortunatley my clutch went on thursday so that has put pay to my shooting for today. I was going to either go up the farm or drive to the solway for a crack at the geese one last time this season. I aint doing either now! Oh well it keeps the mrs happy as i am on housekeeping duties today and get to spend a bit of quality time with the nipper

A bit too windy for good roost shooting as the birds fliped away at the slightest movement with the wind under their wings. Had 10 for far too many shots. A few more birds that i expected , but numbers still down by 75% on what i would have expected a few years ago. The birds were fill of clover and sugar beet. Not one had rape in the crop. No surprise there. They have not been near the rape fields all winter in my area.