Good fun roosting in high winds

Our first real night at the woodies roosting had a go last night and managed 23 but got to woods early tonight setup the whirlty and deeks on a well know flightline into the woods along a strip of ash trees.

The wind was howling from right to left not ideal for this thin strip of woods ,I set out my deeks along with some lofters boy you then notice how little 20 yards is upwards on a large oak not even upto the main canopy of the tree.

But still I always find it does give better picture to birds incoming to woods,and along with the deeks under the woods it tends to funnel them into you a bit more .

The birds where still dropping to deeks at a 4.45pm the birds where whistling pass enough to give driven grouse a run for there money.

Some shots I pulled off involed mega lead some dropped way behind me which despite Merlin reaching 13 in two weeks he still managed to hike after them and pick them like he was a puppy .

Hope you boys had fun as well cheers OTH

View from my hide over the deeks on the old stubble under the wood.

Roosting5thfeb2011001.jpg

The lofters where being blow all over the shop.

Roosting5thfeb2011002.jpg

Trusty and getting old Merlin

Roosting5thfeb2011006.jpg

Maybe old but still manages a spirt off speed at times

Roosting5thfeb2011004.jpg

And my final bag of 29 the old chap knocked another 21

Roosting5thfeb2011003.jpg

Nice 1 and good pics :good:

We have been hare shooting and then had a roost shoot ,we had 254 hares and 120 pigeons tonight tho i only bagged 10 but still a good days sport was had :yes:

Tom,

Thats a hell of a lot of hares - there aren't many here in Cheshire so, rather than shooting them hows about trapping some next year and giving the cheshire countryside a boost?

I dont think I could shoot hares to that extent.

I have to say it worries me that anyone can.

Unless you drove the whole county and had 100 guns,

I'm sorry but wherever, whatever, it seems excessive.

I say that from the perspective of a shooter who rarely sees a hare and for whom 'puss' has always been a special quarry.

Perhaps I'm too fanciful these days, but your post saddens me.

Cheers

Tom,

Thats a hell of a lot of hares - there aren't many here in Cheshire so, rather than shooting them hows about trapping some next year and giving the cheshire countryside a boost?

I say that from the perspective of a shooter who rarely sees a hare and for whom 'puss' has always been a special quarry.

Cheers

Please dont use my post to knock Toms hare bag number if you has a issue then PM him direct .

It saddens me you have to use this thread for that purpose.

I respect your views on the subject just not the place for the it to be aired.

Cheers OTH

OTH,

My apologies to you, your thread, not intending to 'knock'.

Just a personal comment which, agreed, I should have sent personally, I admit to not being fully aware of that 'protocol'.

Thanks

Thats OK like all things in our sport numbers is a contentous image I have recevied numerous PMs from angry members at the amount I shoot and catch.

To kill that amount of hares it would seem a very over populated area dont forgot just like rabbits they graze and in that number even over a large area they will be causing some major crop and tree damage.

All the very best OTH

Tom,

Cheers

All i can say is some places have very few but some places have loads and like most things that eat young trees and cause crop damage they need controling we have thousands of them around us and shooting them 2 or 3 days in 1 year which we do makes very little diference really but needs doing to thin them a wee bit . was on the same land today walking around and still saw 15 in 1 of the fields we did yesterday . you may not like it but controlling them this way is the only real way to do it .

sorry OTH but need to say my bit back :good:

Edited by proTOM1

All i can say is some places have very few but some places have loads and like most things that eat young trees and cause crop damage they need controling we have thousands of them around us and shooting them 2 or 3 days in 1 year which we do makes very little diference really but needs doing to thin them a wee bit . was on the same land today walking around and still saw 15 in 1 of the fields we did yesterday . you may not like it but controlling them this way is the only real way to do it .

sorry OTH but need to say my bit back :good:

Totally agree Tom population numbers vary some much.

Hows the pigs going still on target for 500 in five days.

OTH

Totally agree Tom population numbers vary some much.

Hows the pigs going still on target for 500 in five days.

OTH

Not really started after my 500 in 5 days as yet wont the flocks to break up a bit will have a bash at it in a few weeks .

Got alot of maize cut now and hope to have a bash later in the week when my new magnet arrives .

Keep at them mate :good:

Nice shooting OTH that wind made them very interesting, we had a few on sunday afternoon and it certainly helps bring them lower but definitely not slower

Tom,

Cheers

You are indeed fanciful and also lacking in knowledge in this area. We are out on Saturday for the first of two days hare shooting, there will be at least 50 people shooting approx 20 will be standing guns and the rest walking ones, hares are driven and shot collected and will be exported to europe. Last year each day was over 400 hares which no doubt will disgust you but its necessary, the estate is approx 13,000 acres and their tenant farmers struggle with damage from them, both in terms of crops and also hedging. Believe it of not but this is a sustainable number to harvest from this land and is done in a humane way, a similar number get shot every year. We did have a period they weren't about in such numbers and there was a year it wasn't done but they were back to normal the following year. If you do the maths that number of hares off that area isn't that many, and to do the same every year indicates it is sustainable.

I'd imagine protom is in a similar situation and it really ****** me off when people with no idea slate those who are out without having the first idea what they are talking about.

i dont think he was slating you, and he just wishes that hares were more widespread. but thats something that will happen with time, and im sure on reflection he will appreciate that the excessively large numbers in some areas can be shot in reasonably large bags without sverely affecting the species as a whole.

i thought the same when i first saw how many woodcock some people were shooting, just due to there being so few numbers down my way, but when you stop and think that they regularly shoot these number year in year out, then you realise its not going to wipe them out. I just hope that one day there are more woodcock and hares in this area.

oh and sorry OTH, i know you dont really want all this on your thread, but its already started so what the hec.. :rolleyes:

Edited by southeastpete