Choke size compared to shot size

ChrisAsh

Not having access to a pattern plate, prehapse some of you wiser ones will give me the answer

if say you have half choke and shoot a 7.5 28gram and a 9 28gram does the size 9 shot give a larger pattern, what I am looking for is the difinitive answer not the theory

My own idea is that although they both go through the same size restriction, the 9's will slow down faster by aerodynamics/ resistance and may spread out further

Theoretically you should get the same percentage of pellets within a 30" circle which would in theory give more spread for 9's than it would 7.5s.

Howver no two patterns are ever the same even for the same box of cartridges so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Not having access to a pattern plate, prehapse some of you wiser ones will give me the answer

if say you have half choke and shoot a 7.5 28gram and a 9 28gram does the size 9 shot give a larger pattern, what I am looking for is the difinitive answer not the theory

My own idea is that although they both go through the same size restriction, the 9's will slow down faster by aerodynamics/ resistance and may spread out further

9's would NOT give a larger pattern, they would give a denser pattern as opposed to the 7.5's.

Would they?

A choke is designated by it's percentage of shot within a 30" dia circle. 1/4 choke is 50% of pellets within that circle so if a 7.5 has 400 pellets per ounce and a 9 has 580 then the 7.5 has 200 within that circle and 200 outside.

The 9 has 290 inside so yes a denser pattern but it also has 290 outside.

The question is does a 9 spread more than a 7.5 or not?

Would they?

A choke is designated by it's percentage of shot within a 30" dia circle. 1/4 choke is 50% of pellets within that circle so if a 7.5 has 400 pellets per ounce and a 9 has 580 then the 7.5 has 200 within that circle and 200 outside.

I'd say that providing the make of cartridge is the same (e.g. Superb 9's vs Superb 7.5's) the pattern would be very similar size consistently.

What do i know though :lol:

Would they?

Overall spread - yes - effective spread - no. The outside flyers will not have sufficient pellet density to provide effective lay breaks / game kills.

A good cartridge through a well regulated gun, should throw a superior edge pattern to the shot cloud, maintaining better density outside the 30" circle, and effectively increasing the effective circle. Faster and cheaper cartridges tend to "blow the pattern", and although the pattern counts remain the same, the pattern has uneven edges and density holes in it - allowing targets to pass through even though the aim was right.

Its a common mistake for some to consider that faster and faster cartridges in the budget range help their shooting. If they understood the dynamics of patterning, they would know the slower MVs with superior wads give much improved patterns, and although the lead might be marginally further , for any shooter who uses controlled sight pictures that is no issue. With correct forward allowance applied, the slower MV cartridge gives a superior pattern and higher kill ratio.

Hi,

The definitive answer is no. Shotgun ballistics is an exact science but is reliant on the law of averages for any research results. For professional research 10 shots are deemed the requirement, whereas for field use, 6 are considered satisfactory to obtain a satisfactory result when pattern testing. Any such result only applies to that individual cartridge and barrel combination. Choke is not a measurement, it is a performance.

One aspect that is often missed is that, with the possible exception of TC, the full 30" diameter of the standard choke assessment circle rarely, if ever, contains sufficient pellets much beyond a 25" diameter to ensure a clean game kill. This is because of the Gaussian effect which increases with the increase of applied choke.

It really just boils down to the fact that if you want to know how your gun is shooting, pattern it.

Cheers