lofting poles?

I was just wondering how high you can get lofting poles up a tree? Are there any other methods of getting decoys high into trees? I was even considering: string round a weight, catapault weight over a branch and then tie on a decoy :hmm:

I have been shooting birds flighting into a wood. The only problem is when birds land at the other side of the wood, (80 yards away) and other birds flying over after that are drawn to that corner like a magnet :hmm:

Really I would need something around the 25-30 yard bracket...any ideas or tips?

Try using a light spinning rod. Cast a 1oz lead up and over the branch you want to put the deek on. Snip the lead off attach deek and hoist it up. Secure line somewhere you can remember :huh: and start process again. It works but can be a fiddle if your casting is ****.

Lofted decoys can be deadly, worth the trouble. :good:

Edited by Whitebridges

I've tried the weight / fishing line trick, I found that the line gets jammed and doesn't slide easily. It's OK getting them up, but the weight of the decoy sometimes isn't enough to get them down. I have a couple of nice decoys still in a tree because of this :blush:

Now I use three very long roach poles, bought from Decathlon for £9.99 each. You can't use the top sections as they're too flexible.

I'm going to get some more full body deeks and fit them with the hook and weight brackets to hang on branches instead of sit on the poles, I'll let you know how I get on.

As an aside, a long roach pole with a wire hook taped on the end is useful for getting dead birds out of trees, and probably ( untried ) out of small ponds too.

( EDIT: I know that I should have attached a line to the bottom of the deek to pull it down - too late now )

Edited by Catweazle

I tried the fishing line and weight method, not easy, though with practice I'm sure it would have got better. Problem I found was that it was reasonably easy to do when you have an odd branch protruding, but when you didn't it wasn't easy getting the decoy up there through branches; Getting it down as said already is even harder.

My next attempt is to go in my dads shed and grab a bunch of unused gazebo poles (he doesn't throw anything away :blush: ) and try those. I'm guessing these won't be as light as the proper ones, but I'll have as many as I need and I wouldn't take them unless I could drive to my shooting spot or reasonably close to.

Just an idea, and I think most of us will know someone with a broken or unusable gazeebo.

• 2 weeks later...

My next attempt is to go in my dads shed and grab a bunch of unused gazebo poles (he doesn't throw anything away :blush: ) and try those. I'm guessing these won't be as light as the proper ones, but I'll have as many as I need and I wouldn't take them unless I could drive to my shooting spot or reasonably close to.

Just an idea, and I think most of us will know someone with a broken or unusable gazeebo.

christ, me and your dad aint the only hoarders then :lol:

thats just what my lofters are made from :good:

I use mine for lofting the owl decoy up for crow shooting

Image0108.jpg

Image0114.jpg

If this is a regular spot you use then it is worth investing some time into doing it right. Get yourself an old outside TV ariel or something similar. The prongs fit nicely in full bodied deeks. Throw a line over a high brinch using a catapult and fishing line to draw the stronger line up then measure enough line to reach over the branch and back to the ground. Fasten your lofting ariel at both ends using the end tines (or it will fall over) then hoist it up and peg or fasten the line. When your done drop the deeks and hoist the lofting ariel out of harms way tying it off before you go ready for next time.