Rabbit Snares

TaxiDriver

most of its pretty self explanitory. check them regularly cos it becomes un-humane to have them lying there dead or even still alive . i personally dont like snares due to the suffering part if ya gunna kill something the shoot it or ferret it or trap it .but not snare it just one of my personal hates.;-)

most of its pretty self explanitory. check them regularly cos it becomes un-humane to have them lying there dead or even still alive . i personally dont like snares due to the suffering part if ya gunna kill something the shoot it or ferret it or trap it .but not snare it just one of my personal hates.;-)

I agree in the most part, especially with regard the suffering aspect, I was merely considering different options, I have in the region of 430 - 450 acres to cover pretty much on my own, so might have considered snares and setting some, doing my rounds and coming back to them.

Snares are best set in the evening and checked in the morning (i used to lift mine up out of harms way so nothing was caught during the day).Setting and returning a few hours later seems a bit labour intensive to me for the likely returns.Setting them is an art but is soon mastered and never forgotten.Snares by their very design are cruel but extremley effective- if theres no other way then so be it.Dont bother using new brass type snares because they shine-leave them outside to weather for at least a couple of weeks before putting them into service. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

since march 2010 snaring in scotland......

snares must have a deer stop 13cm or 5" from the eye end of the snare

the no longer should kill but are merely restraining devices

they must not be set anywhere where the target species may harmitself hang itself or say drown so not beside water that may rise or fence lines depending on typ of fence etc

was debated last wednesday in scottish parliament and passed the following

snares will be subject to having to be tagged with a unique id number which shows who set it

which leads to you will not get an ID number unless deemed competent which means that you will have to pass a course

these are now law but not enforced or "come in" yet coz the still have to thrash out who is going to police this etc

got this all for my local wildlife liason officer with local plod.....

so in SCOTLAND at the moment carry on as usual but all snares must have a deer/stop in them

sauer /paul