another mad scientist moment

stubby

I saw a neat little pigeon decoy on the bay of E which consisted of a modded plastic shell decoy and a motor, at a price of £30 inc postage it looked great, but a few would really be needed, pushing up the total to the £100 mark, the tight fisted devil appeared in me :lol:

so in the shed I grabbed a shell decoy and the dremmel and got cutting, thats the easy bit, once cut and re-fixed, the head looks amazingly lifelike when moved independantly from the body, things were looking good, next a trip to maplins, for the trial and error stage, I know sweet FA about electrics,motors,gears etc, so just bought their kit box £5.99 for 2 motors,fixing brackets and battery box, with a few other bits and pieces, went home and locked myself in the shed

the first attemp worked ok to a degree but kept sticking, everything else was souced from my odd's and sodd's box and it was enjoyable tinkering, took me back to my days as a youngster with the mechano,

1st prototype

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XtoUyi6Ciw

so I made a few adjustments, the motor continuously turns now, but the deek acts more like a demented woody woodpecker on "speed", so it needs alot more adjustments and rethinks before I go into production :lol::lol::lol:

Im thinking a much larger wheel/cog direct from the motor, may slow the speed down :hmm: (feel free to advise) and a new arm design (mines made from a pigeon cage bobwire) and maybe some form of strap under the pigeons head to hold the arm, as have it loose the arm tends to go a bit kaotic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtZbjcZ3jPs

if anything, Ive spent an enjoyable few hours in the shed(yesterday) and cheered you lot up by giving you a laugh on a rainy day like today, if you have any ideas to add, feel free to comment :good:

I saw a neat little pigeon decoy on the bay of E which consisted of a modded plastic shell decoy and a motor, at a price of £30 inc postage it looked great, but a few would really be needed, pushing up the total to the £100 mark, the tight fisted devil appeared in me :lol:

so in the shed I grabbed a shell decoy and the dremmel and got cutting, thats the easy bit, once cut and re-fixed, the head looks amazingly lifelike when moved independantly from the body, things were looking good, next a trip to maplins, for the trial and error stage, I know sweet FA about electrics,motors,gears etc, so just bought their kit box £5.99 for 2 motors,fixing brackets and battery box, with a few other bits and pieces, went home and locked myself in the shed

the first attemp worked ok to a degree but kept sticking, everything else was souced from my odd's and sodd's box and it was enjoyable tinkering, took me back to my days as a youngster with the mechano,

1st prototype

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XtoUyi6Ciw

so I made a few adjustments, the motor continuously turns now, but the deek acts more like a demented woody woodpecker on "speed", so it needs alot more adjustments and rethinks before I go into production :lol::lol::lol:

Im thinking a much larger wheel/cog direct from the motor, may slow the speed down :hmm: (feel free to advise) and a new arm design (mines made from a pigeon cage bobwire) and maybe some form of strap under the pigeons head to hold the arm, as have it loose the arm tends to go a bit kaotic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtZbjcZ3jPs

if anything, Ive spent an enjoyable few hours in the shed(yesterday) and cheered you lot up by giving you a laugh on a rainy day like today, if you have any ideas to add, feel free to comment :good:

Repaint the bottom one, It's a bloomin woodpecker innit :lol: :lol:

Any chance of a picture of the set up without the shell decoy on it so we can see the mechanics?

I'm in the process of making some peckers for shells but without cutting the head off. I'm trying to come up with something that doesn't require any modification to the shell, so you can just put the shell onto the pecker mechanism.

First video looks good, you need to extend the throw somehow so the head travels more. If we can see the mechanics behind it we might be able to throw some ideas at you, and nick some for myself of course!

Looking at it again extending the arm that rotates on the servo will give he head more movement maybe??

Ill get some pictures taken, after thinking about it, Im going to fabricate a larger wheel/cog for the motor, and re-do the arm longer, as suggested, it was longer on the top video, then cut down the length on the lower video, its just getting the arm to move freely, when it was longer it was catching inside the head, might add an upside down cam (small bump) inside the head, making it bob its head

Ive seen simular motors on the bay of e, that fix under a standard shell decoy, but then give it a left to right movement, which also looks good, was this what you were trying to achieve Cosd?

here's the inner workings for Cosd to secretly pinch for his attempt, sorry it's a bit dark, lighting not to great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjiSSByWMbs

a lot of the noise made is from the moving arm and cog, so hopefully once Ive made a new design up, it'll be almost silent

Edited by stubby

Nice one stubby, was a little dark but I got the drift of what you're doing in there. Keep at it mate seems you're almost there; the size of the cog on the motor, length of arm and where you attach the arm will determine how it pecks. Have you tried using one less battery on it to slow it down?

I'm trying something a little different in that ideally I want the mechanism to be a fixed unit to the spring stick which I can simply place any shell onto it. I also would like to run it off a 12v battery so I can just recharge it. A small 1.3amp battery should power four or five of these all day.

I've got mine pecking now so it's just a matter of making/buying/creating the mounts for the servo to the spring stick. I'll get some pictures and a video on here once I'm done if you're ok with that or I can simply email hem to you if you don't want me to hijack your thread.

Edited by Cosd

Love it, well done! looks like you had a great time trying out your ideas, why just buy summat when you can make one :good:

The second clip looks like he's 'pleasuring' himself.....vinegar stroke or what :blink: :lol::lol:

exactly, although the initial outlay will probably cost more than if I purchased one from evil bay, Im hoping once perfected, that it will end up at around £6 per decoy, if I have success I'll post up a step by step building guide for others to use if they like the idea :good:

right, was back in the shed today, made a larger wheel out of ply and a new ali arm, and fixed them together better, although the motor will work with just one battery, thats only when its unloaded (no wheel/arm) as soon as they are fitted, it stops, so yes it needs 2 batteries to power it, I tried packing the plastic decoy head with foam, to lessen the noise a little, but this caused it to stick, so just wrapped electrical tape around the head of ali arm, and its taken the clatter of a bit, a piece of garden twine under the chin of pigeon, stops the arm from falling down, but still makes taking the shell on and off easy, Ive also moved the battery pack to a vertical fixing, and this steadies the whole thing up a bit more

as stated already, using these bits from maplins, I reckon £6 is all it would cost to build, although Im using other bits from the shed to complete, had I needed to buy everything, then prehaps £10

they only unknown I have is how long the batteries will last, Ill check that out tomorrow by switching it on and leaving it, but couldent tonight, as have work in a couple of hours

so my next question (Cosd may have the answer here)

is, could these be run from a 12v battery, with the power reduced somehow, prehaps powering 3 or 4 decoys at once, and therefore lasting all day

prehaps I need to use servo's (remote controlled stuff) as opposed to these small motors, as I seem to remember those being 12volt :hmm:

anyway, heres a couple of video's I took, hope the lightings a bit better this time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke09i1wXXMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vffLywlV2uY

forget maplins, the bay of e sells same stuff much cheaper in bulk, Ive just ordered 12 new shell deeks, but am also chatting to a supplyer that can do geared motors with a much lower RPM, thus giving us between 60-100 head bobs per minute, and also, maybe running from 12v, :good:

I'm trying something a little different in that ideally I want the mechanism to be a fixed unit to the spring stick which I can simply place any shell onto it. I also would like to run it off a 12v battery so I can just recharge it. A small 1.3amp battery should power four or five of these all day.

I've got mine pecking now so it's just a matter of making/buying/creating the mounts for the servo to the spring stick. I'll get some pictures and a video on here once I'm done if you're ok with that or I can simply email hem to you if you don't want me to hijack your thread.

Ive now pulled my shooting partner into the development of this :D sticko on PW

and as they say, two heads are better than one, a new idea has developed for mounting the motor in a different position, and then just using an offsett cog to "nod" the head, cutting out the arm altogether, which will cut down friction, and price too.

I need to take a trip to a local model shop, and check out cheap servo's, although I have sourced a small electric motor with gearbox at £2 plus postage, that has a low RPM

we are also going with Cosd's idea about external batteries, using a 6volt battery to power prehaps 6 pecking deeks, Ive ordered a dozen new shells, so shed for me tomorrow :lol:

Edited by stubby

Ive now pulled my shooting partner into the development of this :D sticko on PW

and as they say, two heads are better than one, a new idea has developed for mounting the motor in a different position, and then just using an offsett cog to "nod" the head, cutting out the arm altogether, which will cut down friction, and price too.

I need to take a trip to a local model shop, and check out cheap servo's, although I have sourced a small electric motor with gearbox at £2 plus postage, that has a low RPM

we are also going with Cosd's idea about external batteries, using a 6volt battery to power prehaps 6 pecking deeks, Ive ordered a dozen new shells, so shed for me tomorrow :lol:

I've been busy and haven't had time to work on mine, probably need a couple of hours work and should be done.

Got it pecking quite nicely just need to make the mount now for the servo.

I will get some pictures up soon.

Stubby, regarding the 12v battery, if you have for example three 4v motors running off a 12v battery, you need to wire them in series to step the voltage down. Or you can have four 3v motors which would also run from 12v. You get the drift.....

the way it was explained to me (seller of gearbox/motor) was these new motors are 30-100 rpm at 3v -12v

thus if running with 2x1.5v batteries Id be getter 30rpm, but if connected to 12v, then 100rpm, as were looking at using 6v, it roughly works out at 50/60rpm which is around what I wanted :good: