Need some advice from you reloading guru's!

gixer1

Gents,

I was looking at the below on E-bay but it says in the description it is for pistol ammo, can I use this kit for 243 win and if so would i just need to buy the dies to suit 243 and that would be it?

Also is this good value and a good set to start homeloading with?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEE-Deluxe-4-HoleTurret-Press-Reloading-Kit-90928-NEW-/390093403955?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad360f733

EDIT - DAMN! wrong section, can a mod please move?

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

As it's only the base, you can load rifle calibers of your choice, by just buying a set of dies.

Google Lee Anniversary Kit and see what prices you can get one for. It is a good set up, I have had one for years, and re-load 22/250 and .243. The kit is basic,and good value for money but you will eventually buy bits and pieces to add to your loading equipment.

Steve.

Steve,

Are the turret presses better than the single stage ones? does it save a lot of swapping out dies? also, can other brands of dies be used in the Lee press such as RCBS dies?

The Lee anniversary is about £114+ postage and the Lee turret is about £160, i guess i'm looking at around £20 for dies? most sets have 2 dies, what are these and how come there are 4 spaces in the turret press?

so many questions! :rolleyes: :blink:

Thanks for the response.

Gixer

It's not a bad set, overpriced from Southwest but not bad :) I got mine from the 4sportsmen for $114, only problem was it wouldn't do .308 without disabling the auto-index as the .308 OAL is too long and the bullet catches the bottom of the seating die as it rotates. I think your .243 is only slightly shorter so you'd have the same problem.

I sold mine and bought the Classic Turret Press instead as it's higher and therefore has a much larger clearance. I'm also buying a Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit as this better suits my reloading process, I'm keeping the turret press for .44 mag loading.

Don't forget if you're buying from the US that a lot of Ebay sellers won't ship to the UK and if they do you'll have about 26% of the total price (goods + shipping cost) to pay in Dut, VAT and collection fees. It's probably cheaper to get what you want from Henry Kranks as they only charge £4 shipping and have pretty good prices on Lee gear.

I'm lucky in that I have friends on the Gulf Coast who I can get stuff shipped to and then collect it when we go to visit twice a year :D

Here's the links for the 4Sportsmen (Reloaderschoice) and Titan Reloading who are just up the road from the Lee factory and usually have better prices than Ebay,take Paypal and will ship to the UK.

http://stores.ebay.com/the4sportsmen check every few days as stuff goes in and out of stock quickly.

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-deluxe-turret-press-kit

4 holes :) 4th hole is usually used for a Factory Crimp die, with the Lee version it gives a better more even crimp than the standard seating/crimp die but is not always needed for rifle rounds.

You can use other makes of dies in the Lee press but you need to make sure they have the same threading. I would just go with the Lee deluxe Carbide set and add a factory crimp die if you need one. The only other extra die you would need is a full length resize die, most of the time you can use the neck sizing die but for any cases not fired in your rifle you should full length resize them before using them. You will also need a case length trimmer as all cases expand and stretch when fired and will eventually need trimming to the correct length, they are only a few £ so not expensive :)

Steve,

Are the turret presses better than the single stage ones? does it save a lot of swapping out dies? also, can other brands of dies be used in the Lee press such as RCBS dies?

The Lee anniversary is about £114+ postage and the Lee turret is about £160, i guess i'm looking at around £20 for dies? most sets have 2 dies, what are these and how come there are 4 spaces in the turret press?

so many questions! :rolleyes: :blink:

Thanks for the response.

Gixer

Nothing wrong with a turret press, they are certainly faster than single stage but perhaps not quite as accurate. You will be relying on a powder thrower rather than weighing each charge.. nothing wrong with that but you aren't going to get ultimate consistency (won't be far off mind!) Also, it is easier for errors to occur as you are merrily pulling away at your lever and a fresh complete round pops out the other end, you don't know if some of the cases have no powder or 2 lots of powder which could then spell disaster!

I personally prefer a single stage press, my brass is cleaned then neck sized & de-primed (or full length sized depending on whether it was fired in my rifle or not) then cleaned again in dry media, then put through my ultrasonic to clean the insides of the cases. I then use a Lee autoprime to prime the cartridges en mass.

The next stage is to wegh each powder charge, pour it into the case and seat the bullet, this can be done as one operation as I have my scale next to me and my press with seating die in front of me.

unfortunally this kit you will have to disconnet the auto index system as its more suited for a 223 when using auto index , it can be used for 243 but you will have to index it yourself .when i started reloading i used this kit for 22.250 and had no real problems using it , its much cheaper than the other kits avalible. i used a rcbs hand primer as the press primer system look a bit basic and i have always used a powder despencer and not the twin disc system supplied with the press . but if your starting out reloading its a perfect press to learn with .

gixer,

start your reloading carreer with a descent single stage press and get to know the techniques and ideosincrecies on one of them.

Even though it will take longer your ammo will be more consistant and probably more accurate then ammo loaded on a turret press, which are really designed for producing more quantity then quality ammo.

Get one if you are a plinker or not particularly bothered about the quality of your ammo but you will regret it in the long run.

Ian.

What part of, turret presses are a waste of time do you need me to spell out ?:yp:

I could tell you where to get a new single stage kit for £60...

But now...maybe I won't :rolleyes:

Gary, the part where you say "no" and don't give an explanation, stop being arrogant....this is a forum and the idea is to help with info not just give a one word answer.

don't tell me if thats your thing.....i wouldn't want to interupt your conkers game..... ;)

thanks to all the people who gave useful info though...

Regards

Gixer.