I fancy a change of career ?

oneshotkiller

A few years ago a friend ( not a close friend but someone I respect - a clever man ) told me that his son wanted to be a gamekeeper. He ( the father ) was concerned that this wasn't a good career choice.

I had a chat with the lad at a party. The lad is a clever chap too, like his Dad, but had a romantic idea about gamekeeping.

I explained my view, that he should follow his Dad into electrical contracting and shoot when he wanted to, rather than having to do it as a job. He did, and sometime later his Dad said thanks.

I did the same 5yrs ago

had a very good job in construction paying in excess of 30k a year

got a job as a pestie but started at the bottom on 15k :no:

my missus said, give it a year, were manage, and within the first year, had increased wages to 21k

by 2nd year, 27k, so it worked out ok for me,

apart from being interesting and different every night (night worker) the perks of the job make me forget the less money

I'm in a job that I enjoy, getting up on a morning and feeling upbeat about going to work can't be replaced with money. Yea there's stuff to moan about like any job, but then I sit back and take a look at the whole package.

If your in gainfull employment at the moment I'd weather the storm but plan what you'd like to do and get the qualifications necessary. Look at depth at what you want to do and why. Make sure its not just a dream lifestyle your chasing, stop and think from time to time, what would I be likely to be doing right now if I were a .........?

Right now most self employed people will be wondering how much of the fuel price increase they can carry and how much they will have to pass on to the customer. How are their customers going to take the price rise? Can they afford it - given they too will be feeling the pinch? Is the service supplied essential or will it be cut back on? If the customer is a business will they pay on time? Will they go bust owing you money? Having been self employed in the past I enjoyed the freedom and satisfaction it brings but I'm glad not to be in that position at this time.

As Catweazle said about shooting when you want to. If shooting becomes your living what do you do for a hobby?

I don't know what sort of position you are (family, morage, etc). And, if you want to change jobs I say go for it, but maybe just wait a year and see how the economic climate pans out, I'm afraid to say it might just be a better opition to be bored and safe, waiting for a slightly more stable time.

Edited by Bleeh

My views are no doubt coloured by my memories of my Grandad. He loved working outdoors, and was a groundsman looking after a sports pavillion and tennis, cricket, football and rugby. I used to love visiting as he took me out on the tractor and would get the archery equipment out.

The job wasn't well paid, but it came with a decent house included and he was a happy man.

One night some scumbag burned the pavillion down and the owners decided not to rebuild it, and that they no londer needed a groundsman. So my Grandad was unemployed, homeless and skint. He spent a few miserable years living in a poxy council flat in a poxy estate, where the feral kids would play football against his windows. That early job satisfaction didn't count for much, he was a broken man and died too early.

Given the choice between earning decent money and getting job satisfaction I took the money, I don't regret it, once the house is paid for and the kids have been through Uni then you can do something satisfying, that's what I'm looking at now.

I'm with Catweazle on this one. Financial security has to come before job satisfaction or even lifestyle choices. I have to admit, it's a nice place to be in where you don't have to worry about your finances, or even worry about about them a little but it can look like a long deep dark hole when you're the other end. If you're happy with what you got then I'd think you'd be foolish to give it up for something more appealing if money is still a concern at present or even likely to be in the future.

Personally, I wouldn't give it up unless you were mortgage free and child free (well, as near as damn it).

As Catweazle said about shooting when you want to. If shooting becomes your living what do you do for a hobby?

become a pest controller :lol:

shooting ferals at night does become boring, but it gives me daytimes to myself, and long weekends fri-sun

although your correct on being secure, you'd be crazy at this moment in time to give up any job

luckerly, Im married to a good woman in a nice area, in council housing, yes Id love to own my own house, but the way this govenment works, where if you needed care in your old age, like most of my relatives before me, they make you sell your house to pay for it, even though tax and insurance has been paid for a lifetime, stops me from wanting to follow suit

Well I would say go for it. I did the same thing myself and went from being a director earning 6 figures plus bonus etc to running my own small business which just about kept my head above water.

It was the best thing I ever did !!!! I remeber only too well that gut churning feeling every day knowing I had to go to work. It made me feel sick.

I now also work for the ambulance service 2 days a week which is a bit like a hobby for me. I get to race around on blue lights in my response car but it's made me realise I made the right decision. I go to lots of enexpected deaths, everything from car crashes to cardiac arrests and it makes you realise just how short life is.

You spend a VERY large part of your life at work so you may as well enjoy it the best you can.

As for the money you just have to cut your cloth to fit. I now live in a small flat above my business which is probably smaller than the pond I used to have in my garden when I worked in the city.

My views are no doubt coloured by my memories of my Grandad. He loved working outdoors, and was a groundsman looking after a sports pavillion and tennis, cricket, football and rugby. I used to love visiting as he took me out on the tractor and would get the archery equipment out.

The job wasn't well paid, but it came with a decent house included and he was a happy man.

One night some scumbag burned the pavillion down and the owners decided not to rebuild it, and that they no londer needed a groundsman. So my Grandad was unemployed, homeless and skint. He spent a few miserable years living in a poxy council flat in a poxy estate, where the feral kids would play football against his windows. That early job satisfaction didn't count for much, he was a broken man and died too early.

Given the choice between earning decent money and getting job satisfaction I took the money, I don't regret it, once the house is paid for and the kids have been through Uni then you can do something satisfying, that's what I'm looking at now.

Catweazle - that is a truly dreadful story - your poor grandad.

In the present economic climate, I would stick with a secure job - not the time to go looking for something new and as for being a gamekeeper, I think that would be very risky. There are plenty of good experienced keepers out there looking for jobs, but without success. Sorry not to be more positive.