Which junior over and under

Vinny v

My son is 12 years old and has been shooting a club 20 gauge single barrel for some months with no real problems.

We are now looking to buy his first gun but cannot decide which would be best.

In a recent shooting lesson the coach advised that the double barrel beretta 20g was too heavy and recommended a 28 gauge however when we went to a shop to look for a gun the owner advised that most 28 gauge are very similar weights to the 20 gauge and that a 20 gauge would last him somewhat longer and recommended that we purchased a light 20 gauge?!?!?

I understand the importance of fit etc but this is now becomming impossible. Can anyone either recommend a light 20 gauge or should we look at 28 gauge.

All advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

V

Some 28s are just the smaller gauge barrels put on a 20 action .. so weight could increase. ...

A 28 on 28 action should be lighter. A Beretta game 28 should also be lighter than a Sporter which has a slightly wider rib.

I've used a Beretta 686 28g/ 28 action, for several years with 21 & 24 g loads ... other loads are also available. in 17 , 19 & .........28 (!) g

I go with the Coach - just depends how much weight you put on his advice.

Some 28s are just the smaller gauge barrels put on a 20 action .. so weight could increase. ...

A 28 on 28 action should be lighter. A Beretta game 28 should also be lighter than a Sporter which has a slightly wider rib.

I've used a Beretta 686 28g/ 28 action, for several years with 21 & 24 g loads ... other loads are also available. in 17 , 19 & .........28 (!) g

I go with the Coach - just depends how much weight you put on his advice.

BASC coach so I put alot of faith in his advice but was somewhat confused when the shop advice was to stick with 20 gauge.

V

BASC coach so I put alot of faith in his advice but was somewhat confused when the shop advice was to stick with 20 gauge.

V

Has the shop seen your son shoot,

Have they spent the time with him that the coach has ? I'll bet the answer to both is No :no:

have they got a nice 20g in stock to sell him/you ? I'll bet they have :hmm:

Nephew had a lincoln Premier Prestige for a lot of years,in 20 bore.Like waving a wand!Can recommend them.But at the same age he also liked the beretta lightweight in 12 bore.Wide open chokes and 21grm Hull Comp X.....gave him loads of confidence on clays. :good:

I have just looked at the Beretta Lightweight and seems very reasonable but my worry is that we are now drifting fron 28 gauge all the way through to 12 gauge.. On a possitive note the Beretta Lightweight is somewhat more expensive but the cost of cartridges is considerably lower and he could always use 21g to prevent serious recoil.??????? What do we do ?!?!??!?!?!??!?!?

if you're going that route there are also subsonics in 12 not cheap but effective and could allow him to work up to larger loads?

Do you think this route is worthy of investigation or should I go all the way back to the 28 gauge options???? So Confused now !!

Thankyou.

V

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice and now look for advice on some chosen guns.

We are looking at a Beretta Whitewing 20G with 28 " barells and multichoke and a Browning B425 12 gauge grade 1 with multichoke 30 inch barrels. Both guns are in fair condition.

Both guns with cleaning kit and slips for £1500.. What are your thoughts ????

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice and now look for advice on some chosen guns.

We are looking at a Beretta Whitewing 20G with 28 " barells and multichoke and a Browning B425 12 gauge grade 1 with multichoke 30 inch barrels. Both guns are in fair condition.

Both guns with cleaning kit and slips for £1500.. What are your thoughts ????

I would say say steep I was offered a 20 bore whitewing for £1o00 ish 28" M/C £500 buys a lot more than a slip or cleaning kit. Also offered a very little used Miroku 30" 20 bore that had been slightly cut down and professionally refinished and balanced for similar money with it extended back to full size with the original off cut! Again M/C.... unfortunately not local to you.

Browning 425 GD1 12Gauge? £1500? way over the top! you could have a semi custom job (adjustable everything recoil reducer etc) built around a light weight action for that sort of money in 12G

Edited by HDAV

I have probably not posted very well as I was a little tired. The £1500 is for both guns:

The Browning B425 Grade 1 is £800 and the Beretta White Wing is £700.

The Beretta is nice and light although the stock is a little long and would ideally need to be cut down for a nice fit.

Still expensive ?!?

V

No thats a better idea if you need both a 12 and 20 and they both fit.....£800 for the Browning is about right and £700 for the 20 bore is a good buy!

Remember that cutting down the stock of the 20 bore will shift the balance forward making the gun unwieldy and more prone to recoil....Try using 20 bore subsonics to minimise recoil

Edited by HDAV

I am 12 and i shoot a 12 guage old baikal O/U 28" barrels with a 1/4" choke and just using the bottom barrel with 21gram hull comp x cartridges for clays and I have no problem with recoil or wieght I have also shot a friends browning medalist 12 guage with the same cartridges and again no problem with wiegh or recoil but i prefer the old baikal with the shorter stock :good: hope you find the right gun for him

I am 12 and i shoot a 12 guage old baikal O/U 28" barrels with a 1/4" choke and just using the bottom barrel with 21gram hull comp x cartridges for clays and I have no problem with recoil or wieght I have also shot a friends browning medalist 12 guage with the same cartridges and again no problem with wiegh or recoil but i prefer the old baikal with the shorter stock :good: hope you find the right gun for him

Thanks Old Bull and I hope you continue to enjoy your shooting.

Your post has given us some food for thought and your mention of finding the weight acceptable has now made us think about looking at some 12g. We did look at the Beretta Ultralights but found them to be a little expensive for him considering the alterations that would be required to make a nice fit for him

I believe that the balance of a lightweight gun and light cartridges could be acceptable.

Thankyou

V

There is also a 26" 525 lightweight and Franchi which are very light, unfortunately the UK importer of Franchi GMK seem to completely disregard the Franchi range preferring to market the Lanber which is a far heavier

2.45Kg for a 12 bore O/U or 5.5 lbs http://www.franchi.com/en/catalog/sovrapposti/superleggeri/falconet-pro

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/shotguns/142426/Franchi_Alcione_shotgun_review.html at 7.25 lbs its pretty light and if you can find one

I think it's a return journey to the gun shop for another look.

We like the Beretta which is light and on HDAVs advice is a reasonable price but maybe he should just handle some 12 bores to see what he thinks. The Franchi is amazingly light for a 12 bore but I think trying to find one at a good price may be somewhat more difficult.

I have also got to take into account the cost of having it adjusted for a good fit so i have also arranged for the gunsmith to have a look when we go back to the shop.

V

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad and I have now seriously looked at all of the options and advice given and my Dad has now purchased for me a lovely Beretta Whitewing 20 Gauge Over and Under.

I feel very lucky as he has paid for the stock to be adjusted and for me to have another lesson with the gun which shoots beautifully.

During the lesson the instructor told me that it is a lovely fit and would struggle to make it any better. Thanks to Mick the gunsmith at Nevilles in Alfreton who even took the time to show me how to clean and oil the gun.

I love my gun and practice with it every day at home tracing lines around the ceiling etc.

Just wanted to share this with you all. :D

J