Hello From Wakefield

Hello All,

I have just placed my first post in the "Clay Pigeon" forum so thought I would formally introduce myself.

I have had a passing interest in taking up Clay Pigeon shooting for sometime. But my other hobbie (motorcycling) tended to take up my time and money. But, after much thought I have decided to call time on the bikes. (my own mortality became a recurring dream)

So I have now applied for my licence, had my first lesson and attended my first show. So far, enjoying the reading and the shooting.

I live in Wakefield, West Yorkshire and will be trying out some of the shooting grounds locally.

Looking forward to talking, reading and listening to the experts on here.

Once I feel comfortable and have got myself sorted, I will start letter writing and talking to local guys & landowners about some field shooting.

So far I have found this site excellent and of great use, with some interesting threads.

NickP, I have posted here my first lesson info in Clay Pigeon section on here.

Went to Park Lodge and had lesson with Brian. Lasted 90 minutes going from basic safety thru to breaking some clays. I used their Beretta which felt good & comfortable. All in clays, cartridges @ lesson £76.

Got my second next Saturday morning. Grounds were virtually empty from 9 till 10.30, so didn't feel uncomfortable or self conscious that I was a newbie.

Good luck with your application.

NickP, I have posted here my first lesson info in Clay Pigeon section on here.

Went to Park Lodge and had lesson with Brian. Lasted 90 minutes going from basic safety thru to breaking some clays. I used their Beretta which felt good & comfortable. All in clays, cartridges @ lesson £76.

Got my second next Saturday morning. Grounds were virtually empty from 9 till 10.30, so didn't feel uncomfortable or self conscious that I was a newbie.

Good luck with your application.

I noticed the thread just after asking :blush:

Thanks for the info :good:

theres a clay ground in allerton bywater, so not too far away! Also try recbeck farm shop as he stocks a few second hand guns

Redbeck has been recommended for cartridges and hear a few mention Allerton. So once sorted will give both a whirl.

Thanks very much for the advice.

Just had the visit from the local enquiry officer... Really nice guy, though I would have appreciated my cat not sticking her head into his coffee when he put it down!

All seems to have gone well and doesn't envisage any issues. Just got to speak to my co-signator and then put it past his boss.

He says that they have tightened up in West Yorkshire on the applications now, the big thing for them is experience. They won't grant a licence generally, unless the applicant has either shot regularly or is/has undertaken lessons at an approved location. It is more to do with safety than the ability, they just want the applicant to know how to handle a shotgun safely prior to giving them a licence to buy one.

They are currently looking at 4 weeks from visit to certificate being handed over, that is in most cases. I am hoping mine will be quicker, says he will come out same day I call him to check cabinet and hand over certificate. (Should it be approved)

So fingers crossed that by April I will be the owner of my own kit!!!