22 Hornet advice

I have just bought a new cz 527 in 22 hornet, but I am having a few problems,

(1) rounds will not cycle from the magazine, only way I gan get this to work is to push the bolt from the back without using the bolt handle.

(2) I have started to reload my own and I am having trouble with the overall cartridge length, I have some factory 35 grain ammo which fits in the mag but with the other bullets I have bought I have to seat them very deep to get them to fit into the mag, this results in the bullet being seated after it starts to narrow, the brass gets squeezed round the bullet and my concern is excess pressure.

Bullets I am trying are 40 grain siera blitzking, 45 grain sp, 55 grain fmj.

Has anyone modified the mag to take longer rounds?

Thanks in advance

I have just bought a new cz 527 in 22 hornet, but I am having a few problems,

(1) rounds will not cycle from the magazine, only way I gan get this to work is to push the bolt from the back without using the bolt handle.

(2) I have started to reload my own and I am having trouble with the overall cartridge length, I have some factory 35 grain ammo which fits in the mag but with the other bullets I have bought I have to seat them very deep to get them to fit into the mag, this results in the bullet being seated after it starts to narrow, the brass gets squeezed round the bullet and my concern is excess pressure.

Bullets I am trying are 40 grain siera blitzking, 45 grain sp, 55 grain fmj.

Has anyone modified the mag to take longer rounds?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Can't believe I'm saying this, but you should have bought a 223. Sorry, Mate, not being funny, but it's probably true. Your rifle has a 1 in 16 twist rate for a reason which is to do with the rounds, or more precisely, the length of, fired from it. A quick rule of thumb formula by George Greenhill indicates that this is fine for a 35gr V Max. Sierra don't readily give there bullet lengths, but a 40gr and 55gr of the same type would require 1 in 12 and 1 in 9 respectively to be sure of stabilization. The next problem is even for 40 gr bullets of the ballistic tip type of profile/length (the Hornet specific rounds are different) whereas they may well fit in the chamber, modifying the mag is simply not possible. If you can get your hands on one (not easy) there is a dummy mag/follower for the CZ which allows single shot loading. As an indication, I'm currently having a fiddle and my 40gr Nosler BTs are somewhere between 1.910 and 1.950" in length (and still cleasr of the lands).

Sorry, can't help with the bolt.

Cheers

Thanks for the info, I applied for the hornet as a 223 was a bit too much power for what I needed it for, 150 yard rabbit and fox.

I will have a look for a dummy follower as I don't mind it being a single shot, and the lighter bullets will have a flatter trajectory anyway,

How would I know if the bullet was on the lands or too close? Just use the COL as stated for the bullet?

Thanks again

Hi,

Can't believe I'm saying this, but you should have bought a 223. Sorry, Mate, not being funny, but it's probably true. Your rifle has a 1 in 16 twist rate for a reason which is to do with the rounds, or more precisely, the length of, fired from it. A quick rule of thumb formula by George Greenhill indicates that this is fine for a 35gr V Max. Sierra don't readily give there bullet lengths, but a 40gr and 55gr of the same type would require 1 in 12 and 1 in 9 respectively to be sure of stabilization. The next problem is even for 40 gr bullets of the ballistic tip type of profile/length (the Hornet specific rounds are different) whereas they may well fit in the chamber, modifying the mag is simply not possible. If you can get your hands on one (not easy) there is a dummy mag/follower for the CZ which allows single shot loading. As an indication, I'm currently having a fiddle and my 40gr Nosler BTs are somewhere between 1.910 and 1.950" in length (and still cleasr of the lands).

Sorry, can't help with the bolt.

Cheers

done it on my own and 3 others, but tell me why please.

Edited by markbivvy

done it on my own and 3 others, but tell me why please.

Mark, hi,

No, I don't mean that you can't modify the mag as such - I even managed to fiddle a Ruger rotary to take RWS 22WMR with springs flying everywhere!

No, I meant (but admit didn't say very clearly) to an extent when using the bullets detailed at the end of my post. I regret any confusion that this may have caused. I hadn't thought about the Sierra bullets that you mentioned - they sound promising. I'm currently play around the 3000ft/sec ish figure with the single shot length and would be really interested to find out what you developed with the Sierras in terms of velocity and OAL to see if I can also fiddle the Weihrauch mag to suit if necessary. One problem is Sierra don't seem to publish their bullet lengths - having said that, they probably do and I missed it!

Cheers,

Phil

interested to find out what you developed with the Sierras in terms of velocity and OAL

i have it all written down some where, if i can find it will send it you.

but i do remember the 45 grain soft point where a good 100 fps faster then the 40 grain blitzkings, and shorter.

load was 12.5 lil gun, small pistol primers.

never done a Weihrauch mag so cant help you with that bit phil.

do know a mate who removed the green tips of the blitzkings to get them in a rifle that i forget the name of right now,and accuracy was never was a problem or expansion.

if i had not gone onto the 40grain blitzkings my hornet would be history as it hated 35 grainer's at anything past 150 yds.

interested to find out what you developed with the Sierras in terms of velocity and OAL

i have it all written down some where, if i can find it will send it you.

but i do remember the 45 grain soft point where a good 100 fps faster then the 40 grain blitzkings, and shorter.

load was 12.5 lil gun, small pistol primers.

never done a Weihrauch mag so cant help you with that bit phil.

do know a mate who removed the green tips of the blitzkings to get them in a rifle that i forget the name of right now,and accuracy was never was a problem or expansion.

if i had not gone onto the 40grain blitzkings my hornet would be history as it hated 35 grainer's at anything past 150 yds.

Mark,

Many thanks, that would be good. Just ready to fire off a 12.5 lil gun load on the way up to a final load given to me by the Ballistics Director at Hodgdons. At the moment the groups are good (5shot, clover leaf, 0.244" at 50yds) so I'll keep going. Using Winchester SR primers though: Was told the load was component sensitive so it would be silly not to do as was recommended.

Cheers,

Phil

I have bought some Sierra 40 Hornet SP which are very short and will fit in my mag without much trouble.

If these shoot well I'll stick to these,

I have sorted the bolt problem. The bolt is fractionally smaller than the bolt hole, so there is a fraction of movement side to side in it, but if u hold the bolt handle with a finger on the handle shaft it feeds ok. What was happening was the bolt was moving sideways rather than forward and getting stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, whereabouts in lincs are you? i am also in lincs and have a 527 hornet which i modified a spare mag for 40gn Blitzkings which stabilise superbly with ragged hole groups at 100yds.Basically you remove the plastic slab at back of mag and sand a bit off it to allow longer rounds in, you also modify carrier by adding a spacer to flange at rear of carrier, i did not like this and cut carrier in half and putty welded a small length of metal in gap this works great.