Steyr Mannlicher versus Tikka T3

Browning

Just as everything was going smoothly, something always crops up to mess things up.

I have made up my mind to purchase, after much deliberation, a brand new

.270 Tikka T3, with Sako mounts, and a S&B 8x56 (Hungarian).

In fact I was off to make the purchase tomorrow morning.....until I get offered for the same price, a used (15 yrs old), 200 rounds fired, mint condition

.270 Steyr Mannlicher Luxus, with Apel mounts and a Swaro 6x42.

OK lads, help me out here. I already have a T3 in .243, and really like the rifle. But

I've always fancied a Mannlicher......what would you do???

Edited by Browning

I have no experience of CF rifles, but I sometimes think it is rude not to post when you have enjoyed reading about someone else's dilemma ;)

If the price is right for the Steyr, then, if you don't take to it, you won't have lost a lot of money if you sell it on. I would guess that you could pick up a new T3 anytime. OK you get a warranty, but frankly, what's to go wrong with a bolt action ? !

If you get it, you will never think to yourself "if only I'd had that lovely Steyr.." Steyr are after all one of the best European rifle makes available AFAIK...

It sounds like a lovely rifle. Luxus model as well. mmm ! A bit of history. Made when standards were higher.. etc etc

It also sounds as though you already know the answer to your question.

I know what I would do in your enviable position.

I am no help either M8 but to say I stand with you in this. I was abut to post a similar request.

I am thinking T3 in 222

This week I have been reading abut a Styer Pro Hunter in 222.

I know the quality of the Tikka and it feel right on the shoulder. I have put some Styer rifles into the shoulder and didnt do it for me but dont know which models.

From what I have researched the T3 is more expencise and if you want a moderator more buck to get it screw cut/approved to (at some time)

The synthetic Styer rifles are a bit cheaper in terms of £££s and come already factory screw cut.

For me, the Styer could be £100 or more easier on the pocket.

So if that is helpful then it pays for me being a leech on your post to see what other say.

Hope you get it sorted.

PS. just be sure you know the guns "real" history. Most 2nd hand rifles I have ever seen for sale have never shot more than 200 rounds ;):)

When I applied for my .243 variation, I had already set my heart on a Sako 75 deluxe (I like walnut stocks, not synthetic).

Then I tried out a Steyr SSG P II. It just felt more substantial and better built than the Sako and it shot superbly. The only problem was the synthetic stock. :)

A couple of weeks later, I got the chance of purchasing a Steyr SSG69 Match. It had been on the dealers gun rack for years, but was unused. It also had a walnut stock. I relied on the honesty of the dealers description and bought the rifle on the phone without seeing it. It was one of the best decisions that I ever made. It just has quality written all over it. :o

Tikka's are good rifles, but they are a budget version of a Sako.

Go with your heart, but if you buy the Steyr-Mannlicher, you won't regret it. ;)

Edited by Hodmedod.one

Just as everything was going smoothly, something always crops up to mess things up.

I have made up my mind to purchase, after much deliberation, a brand new

.270 Tikka T3, with Sako mounts, and a S&B 8x56 (Hungarian).

In fact I was off to make the purchase tomorrow morning.....until I get offered for the same price, a used (15 yrs old), 200 rounds fired, mint condition

OK lads, help me out here. I already have a T3 in .243, and really like the rifle. But

I've always fancied a Mannlicher......what would you do???

15 years old.... 200 rounds? Did the poor previous owner pass away 2 months after he bought the rifle? 200 sounds a bit light to me?;)

Assuming the info is correct though, I'd go with the Steyr, and I own a T3 myself. Nice gun, but I never had the readies for a Steyr, so never entered the equation for me.

Do you know what to look for when buying second hand as you are relying on the RFD for info concerning the history ...................I agree 15 yrs and 200 rds is a bit light ;)

...........However anyone who purchases one of these fine rifles usually know what they are on with BUT there are a few Ruperts out there who don't understand the consequences of continually getting the barrel to hot when zeroing .

Check throat and crown and if the stock looks perfect and the gun as a nice feel about it then go for it .

Other than that flip a coin

Ive

A car dealer would say similar things.T3 T3 T3 T3 T3 T3 T3 T3 T3 T3 for meeeeee :o

On the subject of car dealers ................this dilemma is a bit like comparing a brand new mondeo to a 15 yr old top of the range mercedes with 10000 on the clock and no service history ;):)

Bet your glad your in this situation browning :D

Ive :o

I would go for the new Tikka aswell.

You know what your getting when its new with a garantee. :)

200 rounds in 15 years :o , he must of fired 2 rounds every 6 months or something? ;)

Anyway, is their not a law over in the UK where you have to proove you are using the rifle regularily ect, showing that you use up all ammo you have applied for?

Edited by Frank

I would go for the new Tikka aswell.

You know what your getting when its new with a garantee. :)

200 rounds in 15 years :o , he must of fired 2 rounds every 6 months or something? ;)

Anyway, is their not a law over in the UK where you have to proove you are using the rifle regularily ect, showing that you use up all ammo you have applied for?

its not a very full proof system mate

i could just buy lots of ammo and never fire any, as far as plod is concerned i'm still using the gun.

If you have an open ticket you also dont need to be a member of a rifle club so there is no way to make sure you are shooting.

i too would go for the tikka t3, like frank says, 200 rounds in 15 years is pretty unlikely, and at least with a new gun you can decide how to run in the gun and with what ammo.

was going to by steyr ssg today in 22.250 but by time i would of bought a set of swaz scopes to put on it .i would of been over my budget so got myself a remington 700 set up for a good deal. i would go for the steyr

Edited by choke it

I took the decision between the Tikka T3 and the Steyr ProHunter and decided on a synthetic Steyr. Cost more than the T3 but felt better put together.

If the Steyr is as the seller says then I would go with that. But if the evidence is dodgey then yep go with what you can get a warranty on. Was the Steyr pre-threaded? That'll cost around £120 to do on the T3.

Done the deed!

T3 Hunter ordered today, GMK should have it here on Monday. Topping it off with Sako/Tikka mounts and probably a S&B 6x42 30mm tube.

I'm going to play with it for a while before I get it screwed and moderated....give Mrs Browning time to calm down after she sees the next bank statement.

THanks Ive, I thought about that, and tried both scopes in the shop today. I have to say with

regards to light intake, I could tell no difference between the 6x42 30mm, and the

8x56 1".

My thought process was that this scope will only be used for Red and Fallow deer, therefore only used in daylight, and at the ranges I'll be shooting at I thought 6x would be more than sufficient.

Coupled with that the actual bulk of the 6x42 is much much less than the 8x56, and also it will only require low mounts.

What does everyone else think ? (Can of worms opening here?)

What does everyone else think ? (Can of worms opening here?)

Oh yes !!!

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs Browning but your going for 30mm in the 6 x 42 which indicates to me that your looking at light gathering capabilities .

In daylight you won't be able to tell any difference between the high quality scopes and cheaper mid range ones ..........It's night that sorts the man out from the boys with these babies ..........Yes i know that your only using it for daylight BUT you never know !!...........A set up for every situation :thumbs:

To mount the 8 x 56 you need medium optilocks

Crystal clarity at 40yds with my eyesight as well ...........How close do you want to get :thumbs: :thumbs:

6 x 42 (30mm) £357

8 x 56 (1") ......£359

Are you willing to bet on what every else recommends :thumbs:

Ive :D

To mount the 8 x 56 you need medium optilocks

Ive, do you know if these mounts fit the CZ 527 at all?

Cheers.

There is a recoil stop pin which goes on the front mount as in the tikka and the rear mount as in the sako..........This will need removing frank and without looking at the moment I noticed when I fitted the mounts that this pin looks like it'll knock out . ;) ............Not much recoil with the .223 anyway :wub:

The Dovetail is Standard because most mounts will fit it ..........I would have kept with the Millet but they were just to low :lol:

I would say though that the Scope could be removed and then refitted with no compromise of the zero whatsoever .........I paid £82 locally and as far as I'm concerned money well spent .

Is the CZ Dovetail Standard ?

Ive

Ive

I think so Ive, not too sure. <_<

I do know that it is dam hard to find a decent pair of mounts for the CZ 527. ;)

I wanted Burris, but apparently they dont fit. :thumbs:

I have sportsman match on at the moment, but i would prefer something better.

Ive

I think so Ive, not too sure. :sly:

I do know that it is dam hard to find a decent pair of mounts for the CZ 527. :lol:

I wanted Burris, but apparently they dont fit. :rolleyes:

Frank

Warne Maxima Rings are good quality I believe

Brno CZ 527 1" Low/Med /High £49 & £83. :rolleyes: ..............They do them to fit 30mm as well :lol:

Ive

I think so Ive, not too sure. :lol:

I do know that it is dam hard to find a decent pair of mounts for the CZ 527. :D

I wanted Burris, but apparently they dont fit. :rolleyes:

Frank

Warne Maxima Rings are good quality I believe

Brno CZ 527 1" Low/Med /High £49 & £83. :sly: ..............They do them to fit 30mm as well :lol:

Cheers Ive :rolleyes: . I have heard of these mounts before, i will check it out. :lol: