Gun Lamp Problems

ellebarto

I have a Tracer mini gun lamp that I bought to go on my HMR which is a thumbhole Savage and has a very low positioned scope. I couldnt ever get the angle of the beam from the lamp to line up with the sight and quickly gave up and moved the lamp to my .22 and it instantly lined up and worked a treat. It only has a very simple plastic clip to fix to the scope.

I desperately want to get a lamp on my HMR and in my mind I need something with like a ball joint on the point where it fixes to your scope so I can adjust it to exactly where I want it. There are some basic adjustments for the Tracer mini's lense but not enough to get it to zero with the scope.

Anyone used a gun lamp they can recommend that was very adjustable? Doesn't have to be mega powerful but needs to take an IR filter!

The Lightforce 140 and 170 have an adjustment **** that raises or lowers the angle of the lamp very easily and accurately. They're also very light and very bright. They take filters, but unfortunately the IR filter is stupidly expensive.

EDIT- Apparently K N O B is in the swear filter .

Edited by Catweazle

The plastic clamp snaps quite snugly to the scope and there isn't a great deal of movement in it. I fine if I rest the rifle and physically push the lamp up the plastic gives enough to put the beam on zero but it wont stay there!

The Tracer lights looked interesting until I saw they were £118 for an IR filter! Whats that all about!! A filter that costs more than the light!

I had the same problam so I cut a bit of rubber strip about 5mm and placed it at the front between the scope and lamp mount

MMMMMM!!! So simple and so obvious! Cheers mate. I'll be giving that a go, especially as the filters for my gun lamp are £20 and not £118

I have the Mini Pro and Max Pro, they get used on my .22lr, HMR, WMR, .223 and .243...I don't lamp with my .308!

I'm not sure what is happening in your case, I don't have any issues with either of them on any of my rifles, and my centrefires are zeroed to 200 yards!

I don't use the plastic clamp, I have the metal brackets permanently fitted waiting for the lamp on all my scopes!

Could that be it.....Seems strange! :hmm::hmm:

:good:

Ah right there are metal clamps available for them then? I just use the plastic one that came with it and was told that was all that was available for the mini!

When I clip it on the beam is fixed high and not mout of adjusting will bring it down so my scope view is within th beam. Its only just high and I do get some peripheral light but its not central

My tracer max pro was bang on with my old scope but since I changed scope to a nikkon plat nighteater I have lost a lot if my beam, the lamp reflects off the larger scope!!

I have ordered the metal light mount from the accessories section on the Deben website so fingers crossed!!

Keep us posted how you get on with your problem!!

I've recently bought a Cluson SL2 Shootalite. Tried it for the first time on Tuesday night. Very impressed with the performance. Comes with a universal scope mount that can fit either 25mm or 30mm scope tubes. It has a ball joint and can adjusted to suit requirements. Plenty clearance over a 50mm objective lens. Red filter cost about £12 which can be flipped up,swiveled or tilted

ATB Pat

I've recently bought a Cluson SL2 Shootalite. Tried it for the first time on Tuesday night. Very impressed with the performance. Comes with a universal scope mount that can fit either 25mm or 30mm scope tubes. It has a ball joint and can adjusted to suit requirements. Plenty clearance over a 50mm objective lens. Red filter cost about £12 which can be flipped up,swiveled or tilted

ATB Pat

Not wishing to Hijack the thread but can I ask Pat what he thinks of the Cluson SL2, how tight the beam is and what range he gets from it please?

Ah right there are metal clamps available for them then? I just use the plastic one that came with it and was told that was all that was available for the mini!

When I clip it on the beam is fixed high and not mout of adjusting will bring it down so my scope view is within th beam. Its only just high and I do get some peripheral light but its not central

.223, .243 and .308, you will see the metal bracket on the top two just in front of the scope ring, they live on the scopes. Full set of metal ones on all my rimfire and FAC air rifle too.

The mounts fit the Mini and Max!

They work for me, hopefully they will for you!

post-20848-0-88227700-1301147009.jpg

Edited by Dekers

I had a similar problem with my old Deben Tracer light which isn't very high. I wanted the clamp behind the scope turret not in front to keep the weight at the back. Also the back of the lamp was rammed up against the top scope turret and I struggled to get adequate scope eye relief with the light and clamp in front of the centre turret.

The metal mounts you describe are weaver mounts and fit the deben lights, since the lights have a base which is the same dimensions as a weaver scope rail.

I got the extra height with a high weaver BASE, which gives me a small, elevated weaver rail.

T <----elevated weaver rail

O <----scope ring on scope. I think I got it from Beamshot about 12 yrs ago.

Then on the deben light I have a double weaver CLAMP/mount permanently fixed, which looks like

< >

< >

The beauty of doing it this way is that I can fit any poxy old torch, (maglite backup for example) to the elevated rail using any old cheap weaver scope clamp.

O <----- torch in scope ring

< > <----- Weaver clamp on every torch

All lights will now clamp to any weaver or picatinny rail anywhere.

JW

Edited by Jaguar Warrior

.223, .243 and .308, you will see the metal bracket on the top two just in front of the scope ring, they live on the scopes. Full set of metal ones on all my rimfire and FAC air rifle too.

The mounts fit the Mini and Max!

They work for me, hopefully they will for you!

This looks just what I need on my set of rifles so I can easily move stuff about without having to swap my gun light, which works quite well otherwise. Can you give me any pointers on exactly what they are called and where you got them from? Is it just the bracket and then that snaps into the light or do I need some other adaptor on the light?

This looks just what I need on my set of rifles so I can easily move stuff about without having to swap my gun light, which works quite well otherwise. Can you give me any pointers on exactly what they are called and where you got them from? Is it just the bracket and then that snaps into the light or do I need some other adaptor on the light?

Deben part

GA5035 for 25mm tube £7.50 each.

GA5036 for 30mm tube £7.95 each.

I actually bought a pair of cheap weaver bases (about £5-£6 the pair) and use them, just the same and much cheaper!

Deben used to do a 25mm pair but I can't see them on the website now, they still do a 30mm PAIR at £6.95 (HM5035) That should read HM5208-sorry, so as you can see they are a lot cheaper, remember the "proper" lamp mounts are priced EACH!

The weaver base is used upturned and the actual lamp base clamps to the weaver fitting, so it is pretty important you get some bases with the hand wheel for tightening not a screw fitting!

Advantages are it stays in place, firmer mount, doesn't get moved whilst you are out, stays lined up, you don't have to struggle to push that plastic clamp on all the time (or off), so it's easier to move from gun to gun.

Edited by Dekers

Deben part

GA5035 for 25mm tube £7.50 each.

GA5036 for 30mm tube £7.95 each.

I actually bought a pair of cheap weaver bases (about £5-£6 the pair) and use them, just the same and much cheaper!

Deben used to do a 25mm pair but I can't see them on the website now, they still do a 30mm PAIR at £6.95 (HM5035), so as you can see they are a lot cheaper, remember the "proper" lamp mounts are priced EACH!

The weaver base is used upturned and the actual lamp base clamps to the weaver fitting, so it is pretty important you get some bases with the hand wheel for tightening not a screw fitting!

Advantages are it stays in place, firmer mount, doesn't get moved whilst you are out, stays lined up, you don't have to struggle to push that plastic clamp on all the time (or off), so it's easier to move from gun to gun.

Brilliant. Thanks. Time to get shopping

Not wishing to Hijack the thread but can I ask Pat what he thinks of the Cluson SL2, how tight the beam is and what range he gets from it please?

First of all please accept my humblest apologies for just getting round to replying to your post Frenchie :blush: . Right thats the cringing apologies over and done with :rolleyes: . Well like i said it was the first time i used the shootalite last Tuesday and i aint been lamping since but my first overall impressions was that it was more than adequate on top of the hummer. Without the filter it throws a beam, i would say close to the claimed 1000yds but as we all know this reduces dramatically when you install the red filter. However even with the fiter on, the usable beam was approx 200-250yds i would say. Possibly more. The beauty of it is there is virtually no weight to the lamp so it has no effect on the balance or handling of the rifle. When i was looking for a lamp i looked at various different models but the shootalite got my vote because it comes with everything you need including the universal scope mount which a lot of lamps dont seem to. So up to now, aye it seems good. Hope this answers your question mate

ATB Pat

Ooops! forgot to mention Frenchie in my last post. The beam is adjustable via a switch on the back of the lamp from flood to spot however it aint got a dimmer. The only downside really, but i still think its going to be a good lamp though :good: .

ATB Pat