to many sgc

besty57

just been watching local news on the bbc.they were asking people on the street in cleveland if they had any idea how many sgc were held in the county,after asking, one woman said about 40 ,the reporter said would you be suprised to find out its over 3000 and of course she replied she was ,after raul moat,and derek bird .it seems like the bbc are scaremongering.and as usual naver give people all the facts :no: .really ****** me off. :mad:

The more I see the BBC doing this type of thing the more I question anything they report because we know how wide of the mark they are on shooting,just how misinformed are we on the other subjects the beeb decide to mangle in the name of news.

ATB figgy

Well more BBC exaggeration? Hardly over 3000 sgc's but hey ho let's just use journalsitic licence and whack another 500 on.

This from the Cleveland Police website -

"Cleveland Police licenses 17 registered Firearms Dealers, 973 firearm certificate holders, 2,558 shotgun certificate holders and 73 explosives certificate holders. Firearms are licensed in accordance with the Firearms Acts 1968-1997 and other associated Acts.

Edited by Katzenjammer

just been watching local news on the bbc.they were asking people on the street in cleveland if they had any idea how many sgc were held in the county,after asking, one woman said about 40 ,the reporter said would you be suprised to find out its over 3000 and of course she replied she was ,after raul moat,and derek bird .it seems like the bbc are scaremongering.and as usual naver give people all the facts :no: .really p***es me off. :mad:

COmplain to the BBC as happened in the other thread... http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/161132-bbc-headlines/ if you can give the show, time and date etc make a formal complaint and direct them to the correct information.

It was brought up on BBC Breakfast this morning, they had a young man who is a clay/game shooter and the woman who formed Mothers against guns being interviewed.

The youn man described accurately and precisely how the licensing procedure worked and what is involved when you had the SGC.

The woman from the MAG did not want to listen and had only one agenda, all guns are bad, she kept on trying to link illegally held pistols and gang violence to legally held shotguns.

She even suggested that the dangers of guns should be taught on the national curriculum :o

Ian.

She even suggested that the dangers of guns should be taught on the national curriculum :o

I agree they should, along with safe handling and compulsory use of at least 3 to include clay shooting and target rifle to all school children.

HDAV,

What a great idea.

To many people know to little about guns and shooting in general, and people are scared of things they know little about.

Education is they key!

It is indeed if we all took 3 other people to a proper clay shoot that would be 30k more people who know how to safely handle a shotgun it's uses, limitations and dangers. I have tried to take as many friends and family shooting as i can to improve their knowledge. My mum who is rather anti gun really enjoyed the clays and has arranged to go with 3 of her friends! :o

I can understand the response of joe public when faced with these questions when they have only experienced the media biased view and shoddy reporting. Imagine if you were walking down the street minding your own business and some leapt at you with questions about a subject you know little about and spins it negatively? It human nature to react to the manner of the question not the question itself, my GF works on large social research projects where they spend hours testing questions to make sure they arent biased or leading, journalists to the opposite!