FAC air which to buy or not ?

Kes

Hi all - need some advice.

I have, as said, a .22 LR and a .223, as well as some shotguns but I alo have an FAC air on my ticket.

I thought at the time I applied that there were places it would be safer to use FAC air than a .22lr for rabbits and maybe rooks (subsonics sometimes ricochet), I also never fire into the air with a rimfire rifle, as most on here would not.

As my cert is open for both rifles and would also be for FAC air, should I get one and which would members recommend?

Alternatively would you sacrifice it and go for the .243 I really want for fox, munjac, CWD and other stalking which I cannot do (and do not have available) at present as the .223 is conditioned exclusively for fox? Any comments would be appreciated.

For FAC authority I have Cheshire who are worse than rubbish since the former FEO retired - great chap.

I have .243 cleared land by the way.

I have a .22cz and on my ticket i have .22 air/.17hmr/.223 for fox,muntjac and cwd,i will probaly end up with

fac air for paddocks etc

.22lr for lamping

.223 for fox/muntys

So for me,your option for air fac seem to be sensible and i cant understand why you not able to shoot munty/cwd with the .223 :hmm:

If I was going to get any FAC air rifle it would be a rapid 7 .22 with the 500cc bottle for more shots turn it up to around 20ftlb or less If you like they are nice and accurate use bisley magnums if you have it over 20 ftlb but at 20 ftlb or less I'd use field target trophy they cope easily with it and get a 12 shot magazine cos the 7 shot ones are poop. But personally I wouldn't get any FAC air I just don't see the use for them I think that they ricochet almost as much as the .22lr they aren't any quieter. A decent moderator costs just as much as a sak well actually mine was £40 for a slip on whirach one. Scope is just as same as on an lr so it's not like your saving money from doing it. And a second hand rapid costs more than a second hand .22 lr or .17 hmr.

Well at the moment I use my FAC Air more than any of my other rifles as I can pretty much daily take a pigeon or two with it.

They can be expensive but I saw a FAC S410 on here a while back for £250 which was a bargain. I paid £275 for my S400 Xtra and still think it was a good deal. Yes, Rapid's are great but their owners usually know that and want £400+ for them. At £400+ I don't think FAC Air is worth it (well it wasn't for me - sub £300 and it becomes more attractive)

It does depends on your land though, I have a couple of parts near me which are doable with an LR but only very limited parts of them (and I've pretty much cleared those areas now). The FAC Air is ideal for the mopping up of tricky areas and treebound quarry.

yes it is worth it, i use a rapid .22 set just below 30 ft lb. it bounces way less than .22 lr and the resultant ricochets are carrying far less lead and as the muzzle energy is way lower i doubt they will do any great harm to stock or travel very far. Initially i though the HMR would forfill this (how wrong i was). Shooting up into the trees it will not travel over 400 yds and this is calculated with perfect stability in the pellet (which is about as likely as me meeting the royal familly this afternoon), when it does come down it carries very little energy.

When do i use it? shooting corvids, squirrels from trees and use on rabbits when the ground is full of stock or closer to roadways. Some say use cb caps and the like in the LR instead but you just can't compare the accuraccy of these against a good pre-charged.

No way would i fork out on a new one or buy one from a dealer second hand, mines a minter and i only had to find £300 for it private. Dealers need the mark up in them as they sit on the shelves a bit s/hand. Don't buy a partiot or other high power springer or gas ram as they are terrible hard to cock and are difficult to getany great degree of presision with.

As for using the slot for a .243, why not just fill the FAC air slot and put in a variation for the .243" later at £26 currently its hardly the budjet breaker

silly question but if you have a .223 for fox you already have a gun legal for CWD and muntjac its just a matter of asking to change the conditions so is free and doesn't require a new gun. However if you want to shoot larger deer then yes a .243 is required