21g afficinado's low recoil help please

HDAV

Taking some friends out for a session on the clays Saturday, all have shot at least once before, some a few times, local ground normally sell Comp X 21g which are out of stock.... no delivery before the weekend. No where locally stocks Comp X 21g i have found so have a choice of express 21g or Eley firsts 21g locally. Whats the lowest recoil? (felt of these 2 anything else to consider looking for low cost and low recoil so subs are out!

Hull Chevron are supposed to be very light recoil but not seen them on sale?

Guest cookoff013

chevrons are just low speed. subsonic,

the comp x is 1400fps.

in reality if you want the lightest cartridge ever would be a subsonic 21gram load. (or a slow load)

All things being equal - which they rarely are I'd go for Express then Eley .. or whichever comes in 8s.Again same order in 24gr if you have to ...

Sound advice there ;) , I can`t figure out why the 21g manufacturers have elected to stick to 7.5`s :look: . When you drop the shot load by 25%, the least you could do is make up some of the loss with smaller shot. I shoot 8`s almost exclusively and believe me they`ll break clays at some silly distances.

By the way if these people have shot before and you`re not using a Baikal :no: , then why are you so petrified of the recoil from 1oz? None of us started with 21g :rolleyes: , and we`re still here.

chevrons are just low speed. subsonic,

the comp x is 1400fps.

in reality if you want the lightest cartridge ever would be a subsonic 21gram load. (or a slow load)

Express dont seem to list any specs for the 21g loads online interestingly the comp X 21g are faster on paper than the 28g (does this mean they are using the same powder load in both and why the felt recoil is so similar?)

I have shot both 21g Eley First Lite and Express 21g just cant remeber if either was softer than the other last 21g i shot were comp X. Which are a PITA to get round here.

By the way if these people have shot before and you`re not using a Baikal :no: , then why are you so petrified of the recoil from 1oz? None of us started with 21g :rolleyes: , and we`re still here.

3 ladies, of which 2 have only fired 20g with subsonics, 1 who is happy with 21g loads through a lightweight 12, of the guys they would probably handle 28g loads but for simplicity (and cost) i want to buy one 1 slab of carts for them all to use and at £3.50 a box the express are looking favourite.

Not travelling far this week so trying to get them locally where Eley and Express are in stock (other 2 shops i could try both close wednesday) and another only seems to stock gamebore who dont do a 21g load.....

Comp X 28 would be OK just cost more, do the express only come in 7.5? or in 8/9?

Edited by HDAV

HDAV ... there's 2 parts to recoil ... Newtons formula and the mutt on the butt 's perception.

Newton can tell you that cartridge A gives more recoil than B and he's right: but if you say B kicks more then you're right too.

Less lead and less speed = lower Newtons recoil, but which you like best is personnal preference.

Poontang asks why the 21g preference? For me its about minimising recoil and muzzle blast ... you ever been next to someone using ported barrels aaagh?

I regularly put 21g thro a 28 bore,

same load, same speed,similar pattern, but seems oh so quiet and feels oh so soft too. Newton say 'same recoil': I say 'um 22 at skeet not bad - 'nother round?'

Eley also sound noisy to me, but cheap comes into it too.

Try the recoil article at

http://www.clayshootingusa.com/html/articlearchive.asp

There seems to be quite a few people using 21g loads now. I'm genuinely interested as to why?

For me initially it was because I was using a very light gun coupled with a bad shoulder, so recoil first, secondly they are quite cheap, and lastly the sporting layouts I currently (though that may change with time) shoot don't have targets that can't be well broken with Hull 21s / 28s.

Having said that I am currently thinking about whether to 'upgrade' if that's the right word. I feel there are persuasive arguments on both sides so I wish to experiment.

What fibre wad carts would you recommend?

Edited by Thunderbird

There seems to be quite a few people using 21g loads now. I'm genuinely interested as to why?

Is it a price thing, or recoil problems, or something else? :hmm:

Several reasons I have picked up on.

1 The price, in one of this months mags they are say the price of cartridgees is due to go up again soon.

2. Low recoil effect, ideal for beginers and others who may have injured shoulders.

3. They spalter clays as good as 28G

4. Enable one to pick up the second clay easier as one does not have as much recoil.

What fibre wad carts would you recommend?

I wouldn't! :lol:

I'll only use fibre if I absolutely have to. I'm sure there's not a lot of difference between fibre and plastic but to my mind plastic wads are better. :yes: And seeing as 90% of shooting is supposedly in the mind I'm happier with plastic for now.

To put it simply, I suppose I'm more confident chucking 28g of lead at a clay in a plastic wad, than 21g with a fibre wad. I need every little advantage I can get. :yes::lol:

Clay Shooting magazine did a test of four fibre loads and four plastic 21gm loads giving various results at the Proof House.

The Proof House also measures for momentum which gives an indication of likely recoil energy produced by the cartridge.

The figures are given in Newton seconds (Ns) which will mean little in practical terms, but the figures do provide a usful figure for comparison between cartridge types.

Gamebore White Gold fibre 7.82Ns 554bar

Eley First Lite fibre 8.46Ns 483bar

Eley First Lite plastic 8.13Ns 448bar

Lyavale Express H/V plastic 7.54Ns 494bar

Lyavale Express H/V fibre 7.9Ns 629bar

Hull Comp X fibre 7.5Ns 437bar

Hull Comp X plastic 7.68Ns 344bar

All are loaded with 71/2 shot.

I personally find Hull fibre recoils the least, but we are all differerent.

Edited by BlaserF3

I wouldn't! :lol:

I'll only use fibre if I absolutely have to. I'm sure there's not a lot of difference between fibre and plastic but to my mind plastic wads are better. :yes: And seeing as 90% of shooting is supposedly in the mind I'm happier with plastic for now.

To put it simply, I suppose I'm more confident chucking 28g of lead at a clay in a plastic wad, than 21g with a fibre wad. I need every little advantage I can get. :yes::lol:

Yes I know what you mean, trouble is I tend to shoot mostly at grounds where fibre is the only option.

Well picked up a slab of Express 21g fibre :blink: Didnt relaise till i got home..... I was after plastic..... :oops: still only £35 but will it be detrimental? :hmm:

Fibre shells don`t seem to suit 3" chambers like many modern competition guns but for close combat in normal guns I doubt you`d worry.

Hmmm 2.5" shells and probably all 3" guns...... Do'h

Hmm .. looking back at BlaserFs post it seems all the fibre generated higher pressure that their plas-kin. I guess both types made a good enough seal in the bore? And I doubt the Proof House used different chambered test equipment given the CIP rules on cartridges. ??

Shoot them and see for yourself ... then let us know what they did.

Pity Ian Charltons retired his proof barrel