are anyone going pigeon shooting tomoz that wats to say there plan of

rhodester

The lord smiles on me today, they have just ploughed and drilled the field at the end of my garden for cover crop, I will be waking up, full fry up, walk 20 yards to the shed, get decoys out, set up, have lunch delivered by loving wife and see what happens, had a good flock of crows late today so managed a few that I will use as decoys and also set up 10+ pigeon and a magpie to finish the set up off then see what happens. Might have to walk back to the house every now and then for a cuppa.

Life is sometimes very hard,,,,,,,,,,

haha sounds good just a questin how far will a shotgun go (killing range) and how high up aswell and how much nlead do you give pigeons at diffrent distances i just need a rough idear im new to shooting and just getting use to my shotgun ??? please help mee ???:):)

normal range between 25 yards any closer you blow em to bits up to 50 yards to still kill cleanly. they can be brought down further than that,but only if very experienced and have tight chokes and a lot of shot in the cartridge..

there is no set lead to give them as they travel at different speeds and angles and depends how close and how far away they are,its more instinct than measureing lead..

thats the only pointers i can give yer :good:

thanks mate would you give the mjority of pigeons a couple of feet lead ??

I think Yickdaz already answered that question fella...

Maybe some practice at a clay ground first, maybe then followed by a couple of sessions with an experienced shooter, and then you would perhaps be a little more adapt at shooting at live targets....

If you aint sure you can connect and bring the bird down cleanly - don't pull the trigger.

Get down the clay ground, if you have little experiance with moving targets with a shotgun then it is really hard to learn on your own in the field as the targets are fast and random in most cases.

I would get on the learner clay stand where the clay goes nice and easy, stops in the air then falls back, if you can take a friend who shots even better as they will tell you (if you miss) where and why and also correct any stance issues, really important to get the basics nailed first or you will pck up really bad habbits like I did and it is a lot harder to fix after you start.

Also if you are a rifle shooter then practice is even more important as us rifle boys are really good at aiming and this really does not help when shooting a bird in the sky.

Enjoy though, do your home work on the land, take it slow, and remember we all miss every now and then,,,,,

Get down the clay ground, if you have little experiance with moving targets with a shotgun then it is really hard to learn on your own in the field as the targets are fast and random in most cases.

I would get on the learner clay stand where the clay goes nice and easy, stops in the air then falls back, if you can take a friend who shots even better as they will tell you (if you miss) where and why and also correct any stance issues, really important to get the basics nailed first or you will pck up really bad habbits like I did and it is a lot harder to fix after you start.

Also if you are a rifle shooter then practice is even more important as us rifle boys are really good at aiming and this really does not help when shooting a bird in the sky.

Enjoy though, do your home work on the land, take it slow, and remember we all miss every now and then,,,,,

I agree, I have used a air rifle for years and now having a shotgun, and find it difficult to not aim atthe target, and to try and swing through the shot slightly in front of the bird.

I was told to start at the tail move through the body and when you reach the beak, pull the trigger, being new myself, not sure if this is correct or not??

Practice is the key, I plan to try and get down the clay ground during the summer to get used to the swing motion, it's all about repetitive movement memory, once the body does it a few hundred times, it becomes 2nd nature, well thats the theory :D

Although having shot with Maidment78, I know he misses more than he hits, so thats why he brought himself a 9 shot shotgun :lol:

I agree, I have used a air rifle for years and now having a shotgun, and find it difficult to not aim atthe target, and to try and swing through the shot slightly in front of the bird.

I was told to start at the tail move through the body and when you reach the beak, pull the trigger, being new myself, not sure if this is correct or not??

As I've been learning, this is only true for closer or slower moving targets etc. Eg, if the bird is moving at a reasonable pace and is 30 yards away, I'll now give it a couple of feet of lead, or miss a long way behind.

The trick is learning the basics at the clay ground and getting some practise there too.

Since doing more clay shooting, especially skeet and sporting disciplines you certainly get a good grounding in the basics.

I've found that most experienced, good shots will give a word of advice and spot whether you are missing behind/below/in front/above or a combination.

I find this invaluable in helping me learn the fundamental shotgunning skills.

Definitely worth it. And now is the quieter time in pigeon shooting so a good time to devote to practise and skill sharpening.

All the best

Duncan

Edited by The Duncan

Some of the posts on here reinforce my view towards some sort of exam as in places on the continent.im to late in lifeto be doing xams but am very aware of safety especially with two to a hide and in the heat of the moment things can get very hairy. How can some people get Shotgun certs when its obvious they know **** all about shooting. OBTW ive only been shooting for 49 years so am still on the big learning curve.

Edited by tignme

It is a bit scarry when you read this persons post and will no doubt fuel the debate about some sort of teaching for people, I have always been against exams etc, but reading this persons posts its not suprising that there is a movement to bring this in, or of course the FAC officer could do a better screening job.

I for one find it a bit worrying that this person has the full legal right to go and shoot live animals.

Doc

Just woundering whos going pigeon shooting tomoz and what there plan of action is ??

hi bud 1 tip ican give you is get some plyboard or cardboard about 4 feet squre mark out 25 yds and 40 yds look at ur pattern and then youknow what pattern ur birds will fly into when you shoot les ps look ina mirrow to see that ur gun is level when you bring it up good shooting

Hows this;

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/how-to/shooting/how-much-lead-the-way-forward.cfm

. I am no expert but the experts I have listened to have all said the same - as previously stated the amount of lead to give should be instinctual not measured. if you try and calculate you have a tendancy to stop the swing. Also it is difficult with pigeons as they dart in all directions, especially once they see you!

gaz