shooting muntjac

vampire

Answers but only my opinion you understand as I only shoot several hundred deer a year :rolleyes:

If you're competent enough (and being a novice you're probably not) head or neck shots are best. I've never seen a deer run when it's spine has been severed!

I only shoot bucks but would concer with BASC

Always bleed any carcase a.s.a.p. after it's been shot.

Game dealers generally don't want Munties and even if they do the price they'll pay is so low you're better off keeping the butchered carcase for yourself. Or better still offer some to friends, the landowner/farnmer etc as it is IMO (apart from CWD) the best venison to eat.

Go for trophy heads if that's your bag but unless they're +08cms don't bother as they won't score enough.

You tell me where to hit it and thats where the round will be placed,am a very good shot with a rifle and always have been even as a lad,just useless at crossing pigeons.

The game dealer near me is paying £1.10 per kilo for muntjac (fresh),65p for rabbit and 10p for pigeon (frozen)

keep them if its £1.10 a kg as you are giving them away for a tenner or a bit more, get onto making sausages and mince etc and I reckon I could live on muntjac,

I recon my old chap would love to do that,he used to make his own

I had a friend who was zeroing his .22lr rifle. Target set at 80yrds. Just as he was going to take another shot, his spotter saw a Munty come out of the woods to the right of the target about 85yrds distance. Well, being the curious type, he shifted the rifle over and had a good look at it, really play close attention to its head. This is a really good lesson on why you only point your rifle at something you intend to shoot. The gun went off just as he was inspecting behind the eye area! Imagine his shock as the Munty's legs suddenly seemed to be made from string and the beastie dropped on the spot! Imagine that! A puny 90 odd ftlb at the target! Who would of thought a bullet with 90ftlb of energy could penetrate a little skull like that! Gotta need at least 1000ftlb plus to take something that tough down.

As the animal was now sadly very dead, my friend decided to have a little peek inside the fusebox to see how this miracle of ballistics had happened. The bullet was found about 2" inside its head/brain.

Strange old world. Imagine pointing your accurate rifle at a small melon sized object at 85 yrds away and actually hitting it spot on!!?? Who would of thought?

He now has an M1 Abrahams main battle tank on his ticket just in case he sees a 'real' deer.

I had a friend who was zeroing his .22lr rifle. Target set at 80yrds. Just as he was going to take another shot, his spotter saw a Munty come out of the woods to the right of the target about 85yrds distance. Well, being the curious type, he shifted the rifle over and had a good look at it, really play close attention to its head. This is a really good lesson on why you only point your rifle at something you intend to shoot. The gun went off just as he was inspecting behind the eye area! Imagine his shock as the Munty's legs suddenly seemed to be made from string and the beastie dropped on the spot! Imagine that! A puny 90 odd ftlb at the target! Who would of thought a bullet with 90ftlb of energy could penetrate a little skull like that! Gotta need at least 1000ftlb plus to take something that tough down.

As the animal was now sadly very dead, my friend decided to have a little peek inside the fusebox to see how this miracle of ballistics had happened. The bullet was found about 2" inside its head/brain.

Strange old world. Imagine pointing your accurate rifle at a small melon sized object at 85 yrds away and actually hitting it spot on!!?? Who would of thought?

He now has an M1 Abrahams main battle tank on his ticket just in case he sees a 'real' deer.

pabs

Someone with some balls hey, I did some TEST shots on a Roe Carcase with a .22lr some years ago, it became immediately evident why the Moderated sub sonic .22lr is the tool of choice for many deer poachers! :yes::yes:

Just to add my tuppence worth, a lot of the comments are spot on in my experience, I have heart shot Muntjac and seen them run with their tails up for twenty yards,

this is with a .243 100 grn softpoint, I have also seen them buck and drop. I never head shoot muntjac at distance, I think it irresponsible, I have seen a Roe doe with its jaw blown off,

I dont want to have to deal with that scenario again. Leave your ego at home, our sport is under threat as never before, why give Anti's ammunition.

An old Munty buck I skinned out last week, was a ******, the pelt was tight to the flesh, it can be even worse if cold!

Regards Redcoat

Was talking to one of the senoir members of my deer society, his views are the less you use the knife and the more you use your hands the better, some say he once skinned a fallow doe in 98seconds, this could be myth and legend as have no proof. I will try this next time and let you know as I do tend to use the knife though blade to skin.

Was talking to one of the senoir members of my deer society, his views are the less you use the knife and the more you use your hands the better, some say he once skinned a fallow doe in 98seconds, this could be myth and legend as have no proof. I will try this next time and let you know as I do tend to use the knife though blade to skin.

I 2nd that :good: use the knife only when you start to pull on the flesh then only using it sideways, try not to use a knife with a point on,(more likely to cut through the hide or into the flesh) the rounder the better, they are called either siding knives or skinner's.

Using your knuckles or the handle of the knife parting the hide from the flesh using the seams between and using the blade only when the seams ends or its ripping.

I may be possible to skin a whole deer in that time if the conditions were good, ie young warm and hung at a decent hight :good: