mounting roof style lamp

mad1

evening all . I am going to be getting another 4x4 in the next few months with the intention of using it as a dedicated shootin waggon . :yp: in the mean time i am wantin to use my fronty to do some lamping how can i attach a lamp to the roof without drillin holes in it and what lamp could i use. I currently use a deben max lamp but will be lookin for a better one if need be many thanks m1 :good:

Edited by mad1

thinking with my dexter head;

option 1, get missus to sit on roof, holding lamp

option 2, rig up lamp on roof bar, with handle to side window (am sure others on here have done it)

option 3, keep lamp on rifle (as per picture)

Image0517.jpg

option 4, remote control suction lamp (seen on flea bay)

option 5, drill a hole :blush:

drill hole do it proper, we got one of the suction lamps on trial and it was ******* use less well and truely useless

I agree.

I have a T bar in the middle of my trooper and it does the job, my m8 has the suction fitting T bar frame and it's ****, keeps coming loose.

The remote ones are also useless to slow limited movement and dull.

You can't beat a lightforce lamp be it on the roof or in your hand

I go lamping on my own and have recently found an excellent way of doing it.

I have a magnet mount off an old trashed tractor flashing amber light. You must have seen the flashing lights on tractors, well they always get trashed by hitting branches and stuff.

Used the magnet to mount my lamp years ago but have now found just how useful a sunroof is.

I have always sat the lamp on the roof and shot out of the passenger window, but have now found it is very easy to adjust where the lamp shines by reaching through the sunroof and adjusting it.

My lamping is usually across fields with crops in them and from a path around the outside. I guess a lot is done on land where you can drive where you like and shoot from the drivers window. In that case mount it above the drivers window and adjust from there.

Not a perfect solution for everyone but works great for me.

You saw how easy and well my roof mounted Lf worked on Saturday night. If your frontera has a sunroof just cut a piece of plywood the size of your sunroof and mount the t-bar in the middle of it move the sunroof back place the wood in there and then wind the sunroof forward to wedge the plywood in place job done. If you dont have a sunroof forget everything above :lol:

This is my spare t-bar, you can borrow it until you can get hold of one and you should be able to modify your existing lamp to fit it.

PC232636.jpg

lucky shot this is all your fault :lol: my fronty does not have a sunroof but thanks for the offer on handle i will take you up on that when i get the next shooting waggon i have seen the suction cup ones but they dont seem to have as much movement as the original t bar one. Thanks for the ideas though everyone it has give me some food for thought :good:

I'm about to cut a hole through the roof of my Fourtrak tomorrow night for a lighforce lamp, Anyone got any do's and dont's to make the job easy?

Just mark out where you are going to put it drill a pilot hole then cover the painted area on the roof with masking tape before you use the hole cutter to cut the desired size hole. Once cut file the edge and you are ready to fit the lamp. :good:

I'm about to cut a hole through the roof of my Fourtrak tomorrow night for a lighforce lamp, Anyone got any do's and dont's to make the job easy?

#1-Don't use a cheap hole cutter that came in an old drill set from B&Q :blush:

It blunted very quickly and I ended up drilling lots of 2mm holes on the round scratch it had left on my roof, I used an adhesive sealant around the joints as I didn't trust the seals included in the kit.

#2-drop the roof lining to check where you are drilling though :oops:

I came within an inch of a roof support which would have meant drilling a second hole as it would not have been able to be fitted there.

#3- I changed the plug for the sort that connects to an electric hedge trimmer etc.

I didn't like the crappy bullet terminals.

ben

• 1 month later...

hi all i finally got round to gettin it done . . The only joy of night shifts .its made from tubing and a ball joint i found in the stores at work . . . Well no one was using it :oops: i made it so i can fix it to the roof rails then powder coated it black .thanks for all those that helped with the ideas many thanks m1 . Pictures to follow

• 2 weeks later...